1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What is a good pair of household scissors to buy?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Metal Man 007, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Metal Man 007

Metal Man 007

Oct 18, 2020
    Im not looking for scissors that will run me 500 bucks but would like something that will last and that can be sharpened by hand. Not wanting cheaply made scissors from china. I have no idea on scissor brands and looking on the net I am coming across the cheap china scissors. Also not looking for scissors to cut meat for cooking , just cutting paper and fabric

2. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Clauss, Fiskars, Westcott, Gingher are all decent affordable brands. I don't think Clauss and Gingher are china made, not sure about the others.

Stelth and Metal Man 007 like this.
  3. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Fiskars & Gingher are made in Italy, Central America and a third country, not China. For paper & Fabric, those are two excellent choices with Fiskars being the best deal for imo. Also you want a scissor that has a screw together pivot. Never buy the pinned ones..

jux t, Metal Man 007 and garry3 like this.
  4. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I had an old Fiskars, that my daughter borrowed and lost, one made in Finland. In the BX all the Fiskars I see say "Made in China". My old Fiskars had a nut/screw of joint made of metal, the new ones are part plastic and I had one break very quickly. I got a pair of 4-inch scissors made in Germany with a metal screw/nut joint from a surplus outfit, maybe Sportsman Guide. John

jpm2 likes this.
  5. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    The shears list just above are excellent. I have a pair and am very happy with them, but they might be a little big for what Metal Man 007 wants. John

6. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I just got a Sportsman's Guide catalog and the scissors I mentioned are "New U.S. Military Surplus German-made scissors". I have two pair and I have been very satisfied with their performance. The item No is: 2110-698752. John

7. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  8. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
  9. george65

george65

Dec 21, 2008
    KAI scissors are pretty good

10. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Get an older pair of Fiskars. They are really good. I keep a pair of stainless steel Klein electrician's scissors in my backpack that are well-made.