What is this gold/yellow thing?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EzHann, Sep 4, 2020.

1. EzHann

EzHann

Sep 4, 2020
  2. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Looks like a small bit of surface rust, to me.

3. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Eversion and Bradenk1987 like this.
  4. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Looks a lot like the oxidation colors that happen during tempering of the blade. Could also be a light patina forming.

USMCPOP likes this.
  5. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    That’s a crazy looking blade!
    I plan to start a post about this some day, but I’ve had great luck using distilled white vinegar on rust.
    I would recommend pouring a little distilled vinegar in a cup and microwaving it until hot, then wet a rag with some pliers and start wiping the blade with the vinegar. (Pliers are just so you don’t burn your fingers with the hot vinegar).
    The vinegar will attack the rust and leave a nice blue/grey patina in it’s place. I’ve even just dunked smaller rusted items into a hot vinegar bath which works well too.
    Be aware that this may change the entire finish of your blade, but it can be redone/changed if needed...
    Below is a knife just after a vinegar treatment:
    E53CEE4C-8BBB-46C9-B8BC-8D763D5BCE3F.jpeg

EzHann and DocJD like this.
  6. EzHann

EzHann

Sep 4, 2020
    Is
    Is that a bad thing to a knife?

7. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Not necessarily. If it gets to purple/blue or above it'll be softer. Straw to yellow is probably about right.

[​IMG]

The colors are caused by a layer of oxidation on the surface. Hotter & longer makes a thicker layer and it refracts light differently, hence the color change.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020