1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What is your favorite Case handle material

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by g123, Aug 4, 2019.

1. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Reddish Bone that some Case collectors call Pretty Bone
    [​IMG]

and Red Bone which is a little harder to come by
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On current offerings I prefer their Chestnut Jigged Bone
    [​IMG]

2. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Buzz I totally agree when it's right it sure is pretty.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

peanutsxx, Old Hunter, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I'm not sure I have a favorite but I've noticed that Case seems to be very good at selecting Mother of Pearl slabs for their knives. I don't own one. Just going by the pictures that I've seen.

4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Sorry to hear the bone's shed colour, but most bone changes particularly if left exposed to the sun.

However, isn't that actually Walnut Bone and not Chestnut??

I'm with other connoisseurs;) Old School Redbone. Contemporary it would be Chestnut Jigged or Amber (the latter varies a great deal though)
    I steer clear of the brighter stuff and most CASE Stag is pretty tame...but it can be nice when well matched.

JohnDF likes this.
  5. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Ocean Blue Jigged Bone :thumbsup:
    Case_Saddlehorn.JPG
    Case_HalfWhittler_01.JPG

peanutsxx, Old Hunter, Dschal and 9 others like this.
  6. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    A good guess would be Persimmon bone... although I like chestnut bone, and bonestag.

[​IMG]

7. John F.

John F. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Original, early 1920's to WW2 era green bone, followed by same era red bone!
    John

8. FLHTK

FLHTK

Mar 28, 2019
    Case Bone Stag.

9. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    Bass pro carries a line of Case' that is burnt amber bone with their logo that is probably my favorite. I also seem to prefer pretty much any type of bone as long as it's corncob jigged.

10. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    • This stuff IMG_6936.jpg

11. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    Thats the stuff! I guess that's what is considered corncob jigged, at least that's what I call it. I like just about any bone by Case jigged that way!

12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  13. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Favorite Case handle material?
    When Case gets it right their Jigged Bone is the best! Their Stag has been nice at times too.

These turned out well and are some of my favorites.
    Top to Bottom; Bone Stag, Stag and Antique Bone
    [​IMG]

Almost matching aren't they?

But my absolute favorite Case handle material... well, today I'm thinking that it is their Jigged Chestnut Bone!
    [​IMG]
    (EDIT; Please try to ignore the oil on the blade and bolster, thanks. :oops:)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    All of those are gorgeous.

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Nice examples of each. :cool::thumbsup:

16. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks guys. One was a gift and the others I was able to choose after seeing a few pics. Hand selecting makes it more likely to get something you'll enjoy. I don't buy much sight unseen. Thanks again for your comments. :)

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I worked on this today and was very pleased with the result. A CASE Half-Whittler (unfortunately, they've adopted 2 springs for this pattern, formerly it was a Penknife construction) It came with the most horrible colour bone I've ever seen on a knife. Meant to be Burnt Salmon Bone, a kind of grilled orange/ochre right? Wrong! It came a horrible light pink with white at the edges, grotesque. I gave it a few tea baths, some improvement but still anaemic cat-barf style..:eek:

I mixed up some potash solution to darken a Stag knife or two and had a small saucepan of it left over. The Stag knives had been painted with the solution, dries, wiped down and oiled. I left the CASE in it overnight:D Good job it was stainless..it emerged a copper/purple colour, the brass&stainless had oxidised copper in colour, blackened etc. Well, bit of metal polish, wash down and some oiling and I think it looks a good colour, kind of toffee/chocolate.

New candidate :D

[​IMG]

18. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    A rich, warm color. Well done, Will!

Will Power likes this.
  19. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks Al.:cool: Pleased with it but I wouldn't risk this approach with a carbon knife or a greatly prized specimen....turned out well but potash really stains up stuff:eek:

20. g123

g123

Oct 25, 2009
    Thank you for all your replies.

Will Power, JohnDF and Prester John like this.