What is your OTHER expensive hobby?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by J_Curd, Dec 20, 2006.

1. J_Curd

J_Curd

Jul 26, 2006
    I generally disdain these type threads, but I am honestly curious.

I know most, if not all, knife guys are gun guys. So you probably have two expensive hobbies....got any more?

I fly model RC airplanes (many,and a single helicopter). That hobby is easily as expensive as guns, if not knives as well.

What is yours?

2. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.) Gold Member

Oct 9, 1998
    [​IMG]

3. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    I play ice hockey on average of 4 times a week. The cost of ice time, sticks, skate sharpening and the rest of the equipment, over time is really very expensive.

4. cockroachfarm

cockroachfarm

Jan 6, 2001
    High-end contemporary wristwatches (Breguet, Patek, IWC, Jaeger-L, etc.) My little collection was worth in the high six figures (I was a little fish - a dentist friend of mine had a collection worth just over $2-mil) I still collect sport watches like Omegas, etc. But about 8 years ago I discovered hand-made, custom knives and my "ego" took over. To explain: I could walk into my local dealer, buy a $15k Breguet and the spoiled rich kid next in line can buy exactly the same watch. When I buy a hand-made knife, even one for $600, that's the only knife like that in the world! (Even if the maker has produced a hundred of that design or pattern, the one he made for ME is the only one like that!)

Silly reason, right? ;)

5. jfindon

jfindon

Dec 12, 2006
    Video games, airsoft, computers. I'm just getting into the knife world.

6. kinzli

kinzli Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh boy, loaded subject :D

First, it's cars:
    [​IMG]
    More info here: http://www.kjsl.com/~jk/chevelle

Then, there's metal detecting...link here and here.

As if that weren't enough, flashlights seem to be somewhat interesting :) My latest flashlight that puts out a lot of heat.

I'm about ready to start looking for a puppy, I think a boxer. That's going to be my next "hobby", as well as taking up the art of massage, and possibly learning the trade of machining.

So many hobbies, so little time :)

7. simms65

simms65

Nov 19, 2006
    Photography, Guns, Knives...
    All of these should be the only hobby I have. It is really painful... lol!
    David

8. CHP5

CHP5

May 9, 2001
  9. JohnnyR

JohnnyR

Oct 23, 2006
    I'm a guitar player and have assembled a couple of electric guitars myself. I am guitar heavy now with about 8 guitars, an old Fender bass, that I just modified, a mandolin (more expensive than most guitars) and several chromatic harmonicas, some of which have been customized. I've collected a few stomp boxes lately and I attempt to record on my home pc, so I've managed to sink some money into some audio interfaces, mic's, etc.

10. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    Watches......although not quite in the same league with cockroachfarms' past collection...

11. JGarth

JGarth

Feb 22, 2006
    Hi,
    Mine...
    Nikon cameras and lenses.....make the knives look like pocket change.
    JG...

12. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    As you said, I like guns, more to shoot than a collection. I do have a fairly good collection of mechanical scales which i've restored quite a few, carved stone and wood figurines, coins, a few laboratory microscopes....and hobbies...too many. Motorcycles, bicycles, archery, pool...too many interests, too little time!

Peter

13. shaldag

shaldag

Jun 17, 2004
    I like nice mechanical watches, but only have one.
    Can't afford to collect them.

I collect antique silver cups, primarily European, some Middle-Eastern, a few others.

Mostly 19th century, some 18th and 20th, a few 17th.

Their uniqueness is just like the knives.
    Except with the knives, I get to call up the maker and get input.

14. stevengregory

stevengregory

Aug 20, 2006
    Handguns, knives and books. I have thousands of dollars worth of books in my personal library. Some of them are very scarce, but none are truly rare. But, it's a challenge to hunt around, looking for 1st edition copies of early twentieth century books, in good to excellent condition and it's such a rush to find something you've been searching for that's been well cared for over the many years of it's life. Great hobby, especially for someone who loves to read.

15. Rugger

Rugger

Jan 27, 1999
    Used to play Rugby (travel, hotels, gear, booze, Tylenol) now I play w/ a Pipe & Drum Band (travel, hotels, gear, booze, Tylenol)
    I also throw Boomerangs- not as spendy as knives, but addictive...

16. btboone

btboone

Feb 8, 2006
    I have a big telescope. I also play with my CNC machines. They are a hobby as much as they are a business.

17. smknman

smknman

Apr 4, 2006
    Knives, guns, hunting(more expensive than the guns), off roading, Flashlights, and drinking (quite a wine collection, the most expensive of all by far). Thinking about taking up golf, but I will have to fake interest until I actualy enjoy it I think.

18. rebeltf

rebeltf

Jan 29, 2005
    I'm sort of a many hobby guy but will never devote enough money or time to one specific hobby to make it 'bragworthy' :D

Guns , knives, PC's , houseplants ,music and records and books , I love to work wood or metal , militaria fascinates me - I have a nice collection of Serbian military patches , my love for the Pittsburgh Steelers has bought me many collectables.
    I don't own anyone high end anything , just a lot of middle of the road stuff which I need to put on eBay so I can sell it off and buy more.
    lol

19. scubasteve1942

scubasteve1942

Oct 6, 2006
    Guns, knives, Flashlights, paintball, rc heli.

20. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    No guns here, but I'd like to take the CCW class sometime.

My other hobbies aren't usually expensive as far as daily participation, but they do require occational equipment purchases and upgrades.

Potography doesn't cost a lot, except this year I had to buy a new (used) camera. I haven't ventured into digital SLR stuff yet, and don't plan to anytime soon.

My outdoor activities are generally very inexpensive - I could backback for two weeks on a single day's pay. Day hiking is free. Backpacking requires minimal gear and food purchases for each trip. Transportation to and from the locations is the primary expense. And this year I did buy a new mountain bike.

Old computers and parts are generally very inexpensive, but this year I spent quite a bit building a new computer.

Motorcycling is super-cheap, past the initial investments in gear and a bike. Fuel is cheap and insurance is practically free. I'd like to get a new bike next Spring, but don't know if it'll happen or not.

So it seems like I've upgraded most of my hobby gear this year. Next year it should be easy to save more $$ and/or take time off work to enjoy my hobbies.

-Bob