What knife does Bear Grylls use?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jNemes65, Feb 19, 2020.

1. FrannaM

FrannaM

Jan 29, 2020
    Whether Bear made the knife famous or not, it is probably the best looking fixed blade (excluding function, don't own one) I have ever seen. Just love everything about the design.

midnight flyer likes this.
  2. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Lol. This was a ten year old thread that was resurrected. Then the old stuff was deleted apparently.

So the original OP was talking about the knife used before Bear had his deal
    With Gerber. Then the current OP asked why he didn’t use the Gerber.

instead of a warning about necromancy they turned it into a new looking thread by deleting the ten year old stuff.

3. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    And now THIS is a knife I would proudly own and use. What a beauty (although not a slicer by any means)! I like it a lot.

Mikel

4. Welshie12

Welshie12

Jan 15, 2020
    I had a look on Rob bayleys website and he is now taking orders for that knife if anyone is interested. £685

5. FrannaM

FrannaM

Jan 29, 2020
    I wish....

6. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *cough* *cough*

Hmmmm.... by the time you put shipping, insurance, applicable taxes and anything else to get it to the USA, it could easily be a $1000+ knife!

I shall continue to admire from my computer screen!

Robert

jkwithawave, Welshie12 and FrannaM like this.
  7. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I don’t think Bear has the serrated version, here he is holding it

[​IMG]

Thunderpants likes this.
  8. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Thanks chambelona59! That is really appreciated! Like midnight flyer, I'm glad I saw this before it gets lost in the Bear bashing.

9. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Well, I am about five months away from having one of the Bayley S-4 knives. I'm not a Bear Grylls fan but I really like the knife though.

10. Thunderpants

Thunderpants

May 21, 2020
    That is a great looking knife. Too pricey for me but the price seems to be reasonable considering it's handmade by the man himself:
    "Every part of the S4 is made in my small workshop, ground, machined, cut, stitched and finished from the pedestrian materials by my own hand."
    Which makes me wonder why Spyderco or someone doesn't license the design and make one a bit cheaper.

Smiling likes this.
  11. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Hmmm...
    *Imagines Cold Steel making DLC coated Recon S4 in CPM-3V :D *

But jokes aside, it might be better for this man's business to keep the design for himself :)

Thunderpants likes this.
  12. Thunderpants

Thunderpants

May 21, 2020
    But can you imagine how boring it is making the same knife over and over and over again, year after year!

GIRLYmann and Smiling like this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's because everything with his name on it is junk, but he's an idiot anyways.
    He does make celebrities use it in his reality show but that's it.

Now Les Stroud does definitely seem to often use his Camillus branded Les Stroud offerings.
    But he does so because he designed this stuff to be affordable functional options and wasn't just payed for the use of his name.
    I'm not sure he has even said the les Stroud knife is anything special, but it seems to work.

14. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I really couldn't care less about BG knives, but if it gets the "ordinary" bloke to buy and start to enjoy knives, then I'm all for it. Yes they aren't the best knives in the world, but they aren't total junk. I had a BG Compact Scout knife for 8 years (that I got on sale for 8 bucks) cutting the sides out of heavy beef boxes and it didn't spontaneously explode and cut all my fingers off (not sure of the steel but it kind of held somewhat of an edge, or at least close to it). It now resides in my tackle box as it has gotten a little floppy in the blade play department. Probably should throw it out.

Bear Grylls, like most "celebrities", would gladly sell their soul for a dollar, even if the knife itself cost a dollar.

Now if those people who bought one of those blasphemous BG knives stumble upon this site and then spring for a Hinderer, then it's all good...

edit: is Bear Grylls even still around? Maybe he got deathly ill from drinking his own pee and had to retire to his villa on the French Riviera, cutting steaks with a gold plated, ruby encrusted CRK?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Smiling likes this.
  15. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Many years ago, I watched his shows and I would see his knives on sale often. I wanted his knife so badly, but somehow I never bought it. At the end I ended up buying Cold Steel Recon Tanto instead.

I walked into the store (basically CS store sice they are also CS distributor lol, but they have other brands too) and asked for reccomendation, woman advised SRK or Recon Tanto as best selling knives, but she also said that the Recon Tanto is her favourite, she also reccomended SK-5 steel as best buy, and told me to oil it to prevent rust.

I guess I'm lucky I decided to ask for reccomendation, but also grateful for BG to make me want to buy a good knife, even if it's not his :D

16. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    That 685 pounds is about 845.00 u.s. I can get a real nice Busse on the exchange for way less than that;i can add a Swamp Rat or Scrapyard and still have change left over.No way would i ever spend that kind of money on a 4" fixed blade either,as long as the 4max exists...

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    He has a show on that horrid NBC where he gives rich clueless celebrities a " survival experience " or some nonsense.
    I think it's called wild ride with Bear Grylls or something.

In that show I'm pretty sure they get kitted up with the BG branded gear.

Btw I always preferred Les Stroud who was more about knowledge then showing off. I seem to recall that he used to use a Buck 119 which seemed like a great readily available choice to me.

18. Ruukuu

Ruukuu

May 21, 2020
    I'm not an outdoor type, living in the middle of the city. But i get the feeling he is a bit of a fool. Surely doing some of the things he does, like blindly jumping from huge rock to rock etc would in real life end up with him breaking a leg or back and dying alone in the middle of nowhere.

Just a thought from someone who knows nothing about this kind of stuff.

19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I wouldn't call him a fool. I think a lot of the stunts he does are purely for the show (aka entertainment) purposes. But yeah, I think he seems to ready to take chances that could result in significant injury.

I was watching the Little River, Alabama show recently and noticed he was talking about alligators. None in the lake that the river feeds into from the canyon area where a lot of the show was filmed. Yes, he stayed in a hotel; Fort Payne as I recall.

I think Bear has both the partially serrated and plain edge versions of that knife. The knife is pretty practical regardless of whether I would own the partially serrated version.

Smiling likes this.
  20. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Bear Grylls does have a new show. It’s called Treasure Island with Bear Grylls. All the contestants have some sort of Gerber BG tool.....

Smiling likes this.