What knife features do you HATE that others LOVE?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sqoon, Dec 22, 2010.

1. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011

Get a custom sheath made & sharpen that BK11 up !!!

2. Gadgetaholic

Gadgetaholic

Nov 5, 2009
    I have coated and uncoated knives, given the choice I'd probably opt for uncoated in every case. But I would like to point out that on a coated knife the edge being uncoated doesn't matter because the edge is naturally rust free - every time you sharpen the knife the edge get cleaned of any rust. So I can understand the point of the coating - it keeps the part of the knife that isn't scraped clean of rust every time you sharpen it, free from rust and the need to oil or clean. So I disagree that there is no purpose, though on stainless steels I struggle to think of any reason to have a coating.

On a knife like my Ontario RAT-1 I had an option of coated or satin finish as well as plain edge or serrated - to me the only sensible option was satin finish with plain edge. Every comment about the coated version says that the coating flakes off very easily - I wouldn't be keen on that at all. The blade is stainless and I can't see that some flaky coating does anything to make it look better. I think that the buyers of the coated version just like the look in the picture and don't stop to think about how it will hold up in actual use.

On my Becker knives the coating hasn't worn through even when I've batoned with the knives - that's a coating I don't mind. If the coating starts looking too ratty after a while I can always remove it.

3. lupus55

lupus55

Nov 21, 2009
    Rack up another vote for serrations (except on my Spyderco Harpy and that is just for rope cutting) & pocket clips on anything.

4. Sulaco

Sulaco

Nov 15, 2003
    I don't much care for thumbholes in blades. I prefer thumbstuds or flippers (new favorites).

I also don't like thumb ramps or most jimping. I do like some jimping, but most of the time it's just annoying when in use.

I don't like overly thin or not well thought out handle/scale designs. Although, ESEE seems to have used some sort of Voodoo magic to make their scales so thin and yet, still so very comfortable in use. Dunno what's going on there but other manufacturers should pay attention IMO.

I also don't like poorly heat treated blades. It seems lately I've had several of them and it's just so unnecessary these days.

Lastly, I don't care much for most folding knives. It seems like a good fixed blade is almost always better for everything and usually, cheaper.

This list is really pushing the boundaries of what I consider acceptable, though. I have knives which match all of these dislikes and I use them all of the time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    overly thick blades/grinds/tips.

6. sharpenit

sharpenit

Apr 14, 2011
    Blades that bulge to accommodate huge thumbholes.

"Tactical" knives that obviously are designed to appeal to 14-year-old Rambo wannabes.

Fantasy knives that obviously are designed to appeal to 14-year-old sword & sorcery fans.

Novelty designs of any kind.

Gimmicky scale materials.

Knives that ride like a brick in your pocket, because of weight or shape.

7. Legoman0721

Legoman0721

Apr 29, 2010
    I'm a fan of Nutnfancy, but I've been thinking this as well. I prefer Ed Schempp's approach, which is that with a properly designed handle, jimping is unnecessary.

I won't say I "hate" these features, but they usually make me look elsewhere:
    8Cr13MoV steel- Doesn't hold an edge all that well, can find better steels for the price.
    Benchmades with thumb holes- They just don't look right to me, Spydercos do look right to me.
    Thick bladed folders- They are cool (ZT, etc.), but not as practical for me. I like good slicers for EDC.
    Non-FFG blades- I own many, but I prefer FFG when I can get it. Great slicing ability and good looks.
    Stonewashed finish- I just don't prefer the look, I like a more satin-finished look.
    Smooth metal handles- Kershaw Leek wants to jump out of my hand when I'm closing it. Needs more grip, or better handle shape.
    Complicated grinds- Funky looking and difficult to sharpen. No thanks.
    Full steel liners- I would prefer them to be milled out to save some weight. I have no desire to carry a half pound pocket knife.
    Very "fat" belly- It just feels awkward for me to use. It has it's place, but that's not in my EDC.
    Natural handle materials- Looks too decorative to me, I'd have a hard time using them.
    Damascus blade- Again, looks too decorative to me. Like natural handle materials, I can appreciate its appearance, but I couldn't use it.

8. boobar

boobar Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2002
    Dislikes:
    Coated Blades
    Serrated Blades
    Hole Openers
    Assisted Openers
    FRN/Noryl GTX/Volox/Plastic Handles

9. bryant R

bryant R

May 29, 2011
    dislike knives with metal handles they get so damn cold

10. Seanifred

Seanifred

Sep 3, 2010
    dislike flippers

11. eyeeatingfish

eyeeatingfish

Dec 9, 2003
    Liner locks
    Sharp thumb studs for opening
    Chisel grinds
    Blades with holes all over or cutouts for designs in the blades
    Knives with large handles but small blades. Just makes them ugly.
    Tiny serrations (looking at you cold steel). Normal size are ok.

12. Los Angeles

Los Angeles

Jul 4, 2009
    Thumb studs. HATE 'EM.