Recommendation? What knife for hiking, foodprep and light bushcraft

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Python324, Oct 29, 2020.

Which knife for hiking, foodprep, light bushcaft

1. Esee 4 in 440C

19.3%
  2. Fallkniven S1

8.8%
  3. Other

71.9%
  1. scdub

scdub Basic Member Basic Member

May 29, 2004
    42635504-41D5-4179-AB22-EF02354AD9B3.jpeg
    +1 for the Scrapyard WS 1020.

Knife isn’t out yet but it could have been designed specifically to meet your specs (except the stainless part, but imho stainless is over-hyped - carbon cuts better and is tougher by and large).

2. barleywino

barleywino Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Agreed. An axe and/or saw will make things much easier.

I picked a saw that disassembles and the blade is stored in the handle. I think it is called a Sven folding saw. You can get it at REI.com or Amazon. Still in the market for an axe.
    .[/QUOTE]

Big fan of carrying a saw (currently carrying a Silkyboy gomtaro (part coarse teeth, part fine teeth)). Tried carrying a Gransfors small hatchet once but it was too light to be effective. Prefer to avoid the extra weight of a larger hatchet/axe. Guess it depends what you need to do.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Keyopp likes this.
  3. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Carothers Performance Knives DEK1. Hands down.

000Robert likes this.
  4. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Bark River Gameskeeper.
    Good A-2 tool steel.
    bark-river-gameskeeper.jpg

5. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    Since you're in Croatia, get a Manly Patriot or other Manly fixed blade.

Amazing value!!

scdub, Smiling, jfk1110 and 1 other person like this.
  6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    A mora is a great diet cheap and light option (backup knife)

And a Becker BK-16 is an amazing carbon steel knife and the best way to maintain it is to just smear a thin wipe of coconut oil on the cutting surface, with paper towel.

Wasty and Henry Beige like this.
  7. barleywino

Jul 11, 2020
    (Deleted)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  8. barleywino

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks for this suggestion Bigfattyt -- got one and am very pleased! Like you said, great handle too

Henry Beige likes this.
  9. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Lol!! I had three in my cart on Halloween...tried checking out 20 plus times. No go. I gave up.

10. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

Every so often a post strikes a chord with me that triggers the impulse to buy. Sometimes I act on it immediately; sometimes I sleep on it. If the impulse persists, I just might go ahead and buy. I slept on it. My knife came today.

My first impressions are: 1) it came quite sharp, and 2) the handle material is very comfortable, but I am going to have to round off the corners on the flared pommel, which digs into my palm painfully. There is plenty of handle there. I don’t have to hold the knife that way, but I do. Apart from that, it’s a beauty.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    barleywino likes this.
  11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG Someone mentioned the ESEE 3 and 4, and that the handles were short, this can be solved by getting extended handles. I did that to my RAT 3 and it feels like a different knife with the longer handle.

Lee D likes this.
  12. Wasty

Wasty Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ah, the first knife question...

I am heavily biased towards Becker knives, especially the ergos of the tweener handles are so amazing that you will not want to lay it out of your hand.
    However, all recommendations here are good, the most important thing is that you buy the knife you WANT most. That'll will trigger the rewards part of your brain:)
    So as you will use it and baby it and handle it ALL THE TIME, you can use stainless steels and carbon steels alike, as the maintenance is part of the fun.

If you take a liking to it, that's great.
    If it isn't 100% you'll start on the journey like we all did. You will go down the rabbit hole and end up with quite a collection to choose from...

The most important part isn't the knife - it's that you use it:) Even as a desk jockey myself, I'll cook with my knives, split my grilling wood and I am completely overknifed on any hike, stroll or just going to the bakery:)

Smaug and barleywino like this.
  13. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    The right geometry for the job and a good tough heat treatment are more important than thickness alone. Even a relatively thin knife like the Mora can hold up to some rough use.

The way I see it, it's the primary bevel that does the work when batoning, not the edge. The edge may not even make contact after you get into the wood a little ways. The higher up the primary grind goes, the more stress a knot or a twist in the grain puts on the edge. This is why saber or scandi grinds hold up so well and hollow grinds tend to snap at the edge.

In any case I've never stood behind batoning anything bigger than about wrist sized. Bigger than that is hatchet or wedge territory.

Smaug likes this.
  14. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    For bushcraft, something with a scandi ground blade.

15. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Real Steel Pointman, Bushcrater Plus, or Forager are great budget knives.
    Becker BK16
    The blademaker for sale area here also has great deals!

16. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Another vote for Mora, either companion HD, bushcraft survival or Garberg.

In terms of value, lightweight and doing wood craft, it's hard to beat a stainless companion HD. Not only it's a perfect starter, it will probably continue to severe you well in wet environment and not too expensive to practice sharpening with.

Smaug likes this.
  17. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    One thing jumps out at me. Multi day backpacking trips are very different than hiking. If you are going to be covering any real distance with a backpack, in even moderate terrain, weight is a factor. Suggest a ss mora and a multi tool for equipment repairs. The mora is an awesome bushcraft knife and super affordable.

If your want something larger for the aesthetic, then have at it.

MarkN86 likes this.
  18. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    BK-62 Kabar Becker Kephart. Heck of a great general purpose woods knife.
    Falkniven F1 is a good all around knife too.

Wasty, comis and bikerector like this.
  19. AlrightKewl47

AlrightKewl47

Nov 18, 2020
    Oh, in my opinion, a Becker BK16 for sure.

ATJ999 and 22-rimfire like this.
  20. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

Smaug, cbach8tw and comis like this.