What knife would you immediately buy if they only made a smaller or larger version of it?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kaizen1, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Not smaller or larger, but an inbetweeny. Midi Crooked River @ 3.75" please.

JDRanger likes this.
  2. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is the new 3-inch MBK EWC slipjoint. I'd love to see a linerlock version of it for safety. Although I like the size as it is, it would easily scale up to 3 1/2".

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    ErocSD and Officer's Match like this.
  3. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    I just got a HatiOn Lite. (I also have an F3.) I think the blade length and shape are very useful. In my past line of work I could see using it every day for butchering tasks. It's very handy and just long enough for most jobs. What I think could use improvement is the handle width. It's a bit too slim for my hand to get a comfortable purchase on. A linerlock version of it, like a scaled down F3 as you imagined, would be ideal. Obviously it would be heavier.

Another thought would be to contour the slabs like a Laconico Keen framelock.

3.3" to 3.5" (85 to 90mm) is a sweet spot for me. Blades longer than 4"/100mm or so in a folder makes the handles too long. That's when I'll choose a fixed blade.

4. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    My experience/response to the HatiOn Lite was similar to yours @marchone. Nice blade shape but handle to small and overall effect to light. I tried using it as a EDC work knife but it was too light weight and no comparison as a one hand deployment knife as is the F3. If I could get a F3 Short, with all other aspects being equal to the big version, I could pretty much toss out all my other EDCs folders and happily so. I'm not holding my breath for the announcement :rolleyes:

Ray

marchone likes this.
  5. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    I'm considering buying a small Cheburov Strizh. It may answer those shortcomings.

Officer's Match likes this.
  6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    This, but keep it the fidgetastic dual detent slippie.

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Emerson Super Sheepdog please.

8. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    I won't sell it. I'm infatuated with the little thing.

9. psquared

psquared

Aug 21, 2011
    +1 on a medium Sebenza, specifically an Insingo.

Mcusta Bamboo with a 3.25 inch blade

Benchmade LFTi with a 3.25 inch blade

sabre cat likes this.
  10. ridnovir

ridnovir

Mar 12, 2012
    Liong Mah Integral XV - it has to be made with the blade of around 3" and slimmer handle

11. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I need a ZT 0451. The 450 is too small and the 452 is huge. Love the knife, it just doesnt work.

ErocSD and cistercian like this.
  12. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    I measured a few handle widths or thickest point of a few folders I have. Surprised to see the difference a millimeter makes in hand feel, much less a half. I also measured weights.

Laconico EWC 10.5mm 59g/2.10oz
    Shirogorov HatiOn Lite 10mm 69g/2.45oz
    Laconico EZC 11mm 88g/3.05oz
    Laconico Keen 13mm 125g/4.40oz
    Shirogorov F3 15.5mm 144g/5.10oz

Perhaps because the backspacer slopes downward, the HatiOn Lite feels noticeably slimmer than even the next thickest, the EWC, even though by a mere margin. At least in my hand (Large size glove)11mm and thicker feels better. 3D scale rounding like the Keen feels best in hand overall, although the laser sculpting of the F3's G10 flat scales provides phenomenal grip. I had a Strider PT CC that had great ergos due to the scale rounding.

RayseM likes this.
  13. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    deleted for double post

14. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Either a small or medium Benchmade Bedlam. Small in the 2.9-3.25ish and medium 3.4-3.6ish range.

15. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015

So I have to go back to this and say I've always wanted to own an Arius but never pulled the trigger.

This mini is on my radar to buy immediately. Now to decide on CF, Ti or Micarta? Thoughts? Leaning toward Micarta.

16. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've only handled the plain ti version of the Mini Goblin. The quality on mine is exceptional for a production knife. But the micarta models I've seen look great

[​IMG]

17. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I have found a mini Griptilian to be too small and a full-size, at times, it’s just a little too big. Give me a midsize Grip.

And while we’re at it, give me a Spyderco PM 2 and a half with a low-profile sheepsfoot blade.

For the Spyderco, I could live with
    regular PM2 with a blade change.

18. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    That's why I bought the 0470. Same applies to the 0462-0460.
    The 0460Ti would be much nicer if it had back of scale milling pockets to lighten it.
    Hard pass without them.

I still rock the 0452CF and 462CF on weekends. Huge is fine in jeans.

Kaizen1 and ErocSD like this.
  19. Gnarbrah

Gnarbrah

Nov 13, 2019
    Hogue Mini Ritter for the win!!!!

Kaizen1 and Cscotttsss like this.
  20. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    +1 on this, frame lock ti with 3.25-3.5" blade and 4.25" handle.

Kaizen1 likes this.