What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    no, I don't. I like quality tools, designed and manufactured for people who know how to use them*

*sorry, I reread my response and it reads different than what I was going for- didn't mean to come off as prickly

all mass produced tools have a place on the spectrum of quality

you can spend a few hundred dollars on a hammer, or you can spend ten dollars on a hammer

both hammers are meant to hit nails, both will incur damage with use. The high end hammer will not incur as much damage, will last much longer, (with proper care) and will be more enjoyable- especially for someone who relies on it regularly- to use

you could use the same analogy with any kind of knife. The common attributes that tie all kinds of knives together with something which imparts value, is edge holding and fit and finish

just because you are accustomed to soft, crappy gas station machetes does not mean there isn't a place in this world for a machete made from the highest grade materials, designed for peak performance

I've hacked into plenty of rocks with my D3V blades- have thrown them into rocks, (by accident) and have always managed to remove the surprisingly small amount of damage done. No major chipping to speak of over the past few(?) years

the trick with a machete is to get the bevel geometry and stock thickness right

geometry is crucial to a rock resistant edge

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Slayer_Slaine

Slayer_Slaine

Sep 25, 2016
    Hey thanks for the reply,
    I see see what your saying with the D3V being so damn resistant to chipping compared to the steels used in most machetes that the whole concept of people keeping the metal a tad softer goes out the window.

I reckon a cpk machete would be one hell of a tool if it was made although on a side note i wonder if it would fully live up to the value you see in the cpk knives being made. By this i mean the vast majority of cheap as chips knives out there perform like garbage compared to a decent knife let alone a cpk due to shit design and materials. However machetes have always been pretty damn cheap and have always worked pretty damn well for the most part. A $20 tramontina will do a whole lot of work and last you one hell of a long time and there arnt that many knives that stack up to the value and performance level offered there. Like a lot of knives are way off with their wacky designs but the basic design of a good machete has been pretty well perfected and in production by a few brands around.

In other words whilst the better steel and edge retention is a given it'd be interesting to see if a cpk design machete would display the same level of design improvement over decent cheap machetes that you see with a cpk knife over the majority of other knives around. If the overall scaling of performance improvement was the same as that between regular knives and cpk knives thatd be one hell of a machete!

3. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    All good points, and good discussion. My response is to say, "Yeah, but wait until you see what Lorien and team CPK do with the thing!" It will be next level, somehow, and we will all go "AHHHH!! So THAT's what they meant." :D

I've asked in the past for Lorien's and Nathan's take on a "bushcraft knife" - no further preconceived notions, but I'm sure it would be fantastic. Don't know what that would look like, but I'm sure I need one.

Fullflat, Odog27, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  4. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Ringed edc self defense knife, EDD Every Day Defense. Not a karambit though.

Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  5. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
    I'd be interested in seeing CPK take on a more traditional, user-style knife like a kephart, nessmuk or a puukko. I don't know who would want one but I think they could make a very good kodachi as well.

6. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    We have a kephart in the works.

7. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Damn, that means I'm gonna hafta warehouse a kephart or two, and I said I would never get me no ugly knife, lol.:eek::D:D

Actually, I think the kephart is not ugly, just too simple for me. Now, a nessmuk, hey, that is Ugly with a cap U.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    AdamZC, jus_gus, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    a little while ago, I drew up a nessmuk with kephart tendencies. Looked pretty good, good enough that I may have to make it some day

9. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    I am sure a kephart or a Nessmuk made by CPK will prove to be very popular:thumbsup: should give me plenty of time to save up for a KOD or 10 inch Dagger;)

Mike Pierson, CataD, Phill50 and 3 others like this.
  10. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    Lorien, Tom - Here I am, trying to start a decent argument and what do you leave me with - simply nothing to work with here:cool::D:eek:

11. Box_Opener

Aug 21, 2018
    Oh believe me, I'm ready to sacrifice at least a goat and two chickens for good ping when that one starts. Maybe even a small innocent child just to really seal top ten.

Brian77, jus_gus, tyyreaun and 2 others like this.
  12. TommyGun56

Jul 29, 2014
    And then again, there was this:p

A small run of integral Shivs are on the board but it depends on how the new Mori Seiki works out.
    screaming-woman.jpg

13. Box_Opener

Aug 21, 2018
    I for one would love that. Lorien, have you ever seen the WCSK? I'd be curious to know how it's design compares to what you're describing.

jus_gus, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  14. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Can we get the Shiv goin’ again? How am I supposed to rock the CPK hat that sports a shiv when I don’t have one? ;(

15. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Yeah! Let’s start a bring back the Shiv thread! :thumbsup::D
    Shiv Shiv Shiv Shiv Shiv Shiv Shiv Shiv!

duramax, AdamZC, mpjustin and 4 others like this.
  16. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Yes, the Shiv. In AEB-L.

duramax, jus_gus and SwarthyGnome like this.
  17. TommyGun56

Jul 29, 2014
    Yes the Shiv in D3V or AEB-L:thumbsup:

18. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    just checked it out, and there is very little in common with what I've drawn up and that knife

Box_Opener, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  19. TommyGun56

Jul 29, 2014
    More Shiv's Please, with a Dagger Grind:p
    EDIT: And please offer them with "Edge-Cut Antique Micarta" and Black or Natural Liners;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  20. betzner

Jan 23, 2007
    ^It wouldn't be a Shiv without the fuller, and with a fuller it can't be a dagger grind, lol.