Photos What knives would you take on a road trip

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sonofwilfred, Jul 11, 2020.

1. sonofwilfred

sonofwilfred Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I have a DC3 Falknivan pocket stone with a similar sized strop in my pocket too. I'll post a pic next time.

Lee D, Ace Rimmer and guy g like this.
  2. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    We are driving my wife's RAV4. A Great TOYOTA.

guy g likes this.
  3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is certainly the truth. I made the mistake of publicly uploading the first couple of pics of a knife and within like five minutes, I had ten or fifteen comments like "Knife?" and "Psychopaths like you are the worst!" and "You should take this weapon and cut your own head off!" and some even worse than that. I deleted it immediately, and learned that lesson for sure.

On topic answer: when I'm road-tripping, I'll usually take anywhere from five to ten folders and slippies with me. Will I need anything other than a SAK? No. Do I want to make sure I have a selection of awesome knives that are ready for any task that might come up, that are more fun to use than a SAK?

Absolutely. :)

4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Hear hear, man. Those are people who have never learned to use cutting instruments properly LMAO. Their comments were certainly hilarious though.

guy g, sonofwilfred and Quiet like this.
  5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    My regular pocket dump has it covered. Why wait for a trip? I am trip ready at all times. image.jpeg

6. jaypowell0185

jaypowell0185 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2013
    On road trips I usually carry my leatherman, edc knife ( usually an Emerson), and a small slip joint( vic cadet). I can carry all this comfortably and has me pretty much well covered. If we are going camping during the road trip then I include a hatchet and a mora.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    DangerZone98, guy g and sonofwilfred like this.
  7. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    The most I have needed my knife so far on my road trip is to peel apples for my boy
    [​IMG]

JerseyFresh85, Lee D, Quiet and 3 others like this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I use SAKs quite often when I'm staying in hotels. I would certainly miss not having a knife with me and probably about as much as a smart phone.

9. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I like a fixed blade for camp, a folder for small cutting or interacting with "civilization", and a multi-tool. You could add an axe or saw depending on the type of camping but that about covers it.

sabre cat, sonofwilfred and guy g like this.
  10. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    A few months ago the Wall Street Journal interviewed Tim Leatherman. He mentioned that he didn't like gumming up one of his famous tool knives cutting food on road trips so he always carried a Japanese style picnic or small parring knife.

11. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    If I didn't have it I would miss it every second of the day.

guy g and Lee D like this.
  12. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Yes apples are sticky, but I usually have access to water to wash my knife.

13. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I would too which is why I keep a back up in my vehicle. With air travel, it's more of a problem unless you check bags these days. Didn't use to be like that and there were essentially no problems. Good old 9-11..... changed the world.

Just about any knife is better than "No Knife". Thinking Rough Ryder peanut or something small and cheap if not a SAK.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    guy g and sonofwilfred like this.
  14. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014

Yeah, they certainly don’t make cars like they used to. In many ways they are better. And, a lot more money.

My old Mazda had over 300K when we parted ways. Try to do that on an American auto.

15. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    We used my knife to cut up an afternoon snack and a did a minor repair to my son's toy train. I took the BK2 for a bush walk but I didn't need it.[​IMG]

JerseyFresh85, A.L., 315 and 3 others like this.
  16. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    My little Toyota pickup was 20+ years old when a fender bender caused its demise.

American cars are a lot better than they used to be, say in the 60's and 70's. You can get 200K out of them these days in most cases if you want to. I recall trading in a 1980 Toyota pickup at 40K, thinking it had a lot of miles on it..... boy has my experience and perspective changed!

I keep a 16" machete inside my pickup all the time, just in case I need to do some wacking. I always have the little Leatherman Squirt on my keychain and a multi-tool in my pickup, so on the off chance I forget a knife and for some reason can't find my spare there, I always have these available for the day.

guy g, Chronovore and sonofwilfred like this.
  17. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Nice pics. Is that some kind of chocolate covered jelly bar?

sonofwilfred likes this.
  18. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Its a Frys Turkish Delight. [​IMG]
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

guy g, Ace Rimmer and Chronovore like this.
  19. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Another day of peeling apples on the road.
    I also used it to cut up some salad items for lunch. The proponent was always within reach when walking in a couple of rough outback towns. BK2 still in the glove box.
    [​IMG]

20. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    wth? really??... the anti-knife squad actually exists? I don't see this much since I never really post pics except anon on imagebin.ca
    I feel like asking them how they like to gnaw open packages like savages... but I know there is no point.
    Sometimes it's best to leave lost causes to themselves.

as for my road trips, kershaw leek in the pocket, fixed blade ruike jager & if it's really bush clearing /pathmaking, I bring the sword ; ) (ontario ct5 22" beast in 1075)