1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What steel are utility blades made from?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Planterz, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Or they saw the word “disposable”, noticed they come in packs of 50+, and value their time.

2. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Personally I went a little higher end and bought the "premium" utility blades and sharpened them. Turns out you can make box cutters too sharp for some tasks and making it sharp enough with a pull through sharpener was preferable.

David Mary likes this.
  3. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Anyone think X-acto blades made in super steel would sell? I'd buy some for my epic old-school X-acto set:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Is that what it shows you as my join date? For me it shows March 26. Even that's not really correct, as I had joined at the very beginning of March or perhaps even end of February, but there was a server crash and about a month's worth of stuff, including new registers, were lost, and I had to reregister. So about a month's worth of my newbiest posts and questions are gone (although there's probably still plenty to find if you look).

5. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I have absolutely nothing to contribute but I just had to post in such an historic thread.

6. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    I know that Tajima blades are SK-5.
    There's a German brand that lists their steel as well if I can find them.

Mecha and David Mary like this.
  7. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    You'll probably manufacturers on both sides of that fence.

Back when I first tried to sharpen them I didn't really know how to sharpen.

That's where I ended up, except that now that you mention it, I have several diamond hones and a pile of disposable blades that I dulled long ago. Almost like I was saving up for when I would be more knowledgeable at sharpening... I don't use them that often though. I bought a few packages of 50 when they were on sale back in 2013 or 2014 and I did not even go through them all yet. I might have used 20% of them. I tend to prefer using folder or small fixed blade for most utility tasks anyway. All my knives are users (or occasional users).

When I put grip tape on a folder's pocket clip, you can bet it gets cut with one of my utility blades though. Usually a dull one.

8. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Epic first post

Mecha likes this.