1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Carrying the Farmer since I got home from work.

[​IMG]

2. thefrank

thefrank Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Trestle Pine Superior

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, Old Hunter, jwb01 and 28 others like this.
  3. mitch13

mitch13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Received my first alox the other day, so it's in my pocket as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    2018 EO 85 with Wenger Soldat:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

5. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks pal.

6. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000

Cocobolo darkening is not just from exposure to dirt. It is well known to darken by light exposure (especually UV). I have a plank of cocobolo that was once a very rich red, and after sitting against the wall in the corner of my bedroom for a few years it is now almost black.

Cocobolo is so oily that many finishes and glues do not work well on it unless the oils at the surface are removed by using acetone or another solvent. One time I was cutting scales from a block of cocobolo and instead of dry sawdust falling to the floor, it stayed together as oily clumps. I think you can brighten the wood by sanding off the surface layer, but I leave mine alone. You can get UV-resistant finishes for wood like this, but it only delays the inevitable.

I love waterfall celluloid like that S&M. Pink is very unusual, normally you see it in brown or green.

peanutsxx, Shurke, Pàdruig and 8 others like this.
  7. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    This will be in my pocket on Friday. And Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday, and so on....

Sambar stag Hartshead Barlow lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son, Sheffield.

8. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks, guys. @lambertiana I really like the pink, too, and I have no other example of it (as far as I know). I will admit that, for us older folks from the Carolinas, it looks a little bit like the souse loaf slices sold in packages in the grocery store - pork pieces (?) suspended in gelatin until consumed cold or quickly fried. I'll refrain from describing souse meat and mayo sandwiches.

A very nice totin' size, Gary.

A very fair pair there, Jack.

Yep!!

Soo-wee!! Sweet sow, Ken.

That's the one, GT, though the Klaas has class, too.

- Stuart

9. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I got a couple of SAKs, I switch them out on a regular basis. The two constants are the Mini Champ on my key ring and the silver Farmer that’s either in a clipon belt sheath or bottom of my pocket and I grab the fob/lanyard to pull it out.

[​IMG]

Knice ring turner Gary, I’ve always loved the ingenuity of the opening system. I’m surprised nobody makes them any more. The last modern one I remember was from Canal Street Cutlery. It was also the first forum knife and one of their first knives/patterns in their catalog.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knice Camillus model #23, I have one from the Orr Felt company. This was the second one I had. I gave/sold/traded the first one and was bummed after I got rid of it, I missed it. One of our porch dwellers read about my remorse and sent me one to replace it. It’s a beast of a knife and I carry it often. It’s a great goto Knife for breakin’ down cardboard.

[​IMG]

10. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    @Duckdog It's the "points" that get you every time :) Fantastic pair of lovely covered blades! They just don't make 'em like they used to!
    @5K Qs Thanks! It looks like you have your hands full with a couple of excellent canoes and a "ringer," or should I say "two" with the very cool KK :)

Today's carry I'm going "back to the basics" with a late forties Imperial scout and a sixties super slicer Case Barlow :)
    [​IMG]

11. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice day to carry your Saturnalia knife GT ;) That Mini Canoe is a nice pattern I always think, and that's a great pic of your Buck Canoe :) :thumbsup:

Glad you're liking it Vince :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Stuart :)

Morning folks, managing to check in a little earlier today, and carrying these two for the day :) Have a good Friday :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - happily side by side :)

Lambsfoot / Sheepsfoot
    Classic style / contemporary style
    Buffalo Horn / Rams Horn
    lovely / lovely

[​IMG]

Old Hunter, jwb01, JJ Cahill and 23 others like this.
  13. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - lovely patina developing there :thumbsup:

- what a beaut, lovely Stag...........another Porch member who will smile forever :thumbsup:

- oh, my, love that old Case :thumbsup:

14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Congratulations Vince, another superb!!!;):thumbsup:

Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  15. pfranze78

pfranze78

Aug 31, 2016
    Today I found out that the Mora Eldris fits perfectly through the belt loop of Levi's 501 jeans. Now I can horizontal "belt carry" my Eldris.

[​IMG]

16. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
    Schrade 5OT today for work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Hunter, jwb01, Pinemoon and 19 others like this.
  17. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Nice stash of Swiss Army Knives! I only have eight or ten, but no alox.

You know, if Camillus had hafted the 23 in Rodgers bone, or stag, they’d be highly sought after. But as is, the 23 Big Jack is the definition of beauty following function. And that Ivoroid aint all bad.

cigarrodog and Buzzbait like this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My new Hartshead Barlow for today...
    [​IMG]

19. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    If you ever get tired of that one...;)

Tyd450 likes this.
  20. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm still not sure but I know its pretty. IMG_0242-1024x872.JPG

zolthar, Old Hunter, jwb01 and 25 others like this.