1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Excellent choice.
    I hope you were able to saw a lot of logs while on vacation (Zzzzzzzz). :D

Ripcord 82 and Old Hunter like this.
  2. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Good choice on the Case brown bone sawcut CV Barlow, Gary! :thumbsup::thumbsup: It is a stellar example of Case quality.

I can't imagine buying so many of the same knife (Pocket Pals); oh wait, I bought a bunch of Schrade 897UH stockman.:eek: Never mind!:)

Your Alox Farmer is a great travel choice; I'm so glad you gave me one (thanks, again). :thumbsup:

3. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Another great shot, and I hope I'm not the only one that opened that video in another tab to play in the background. Quite enjoying it :)

Humpback stockman and compact riding along today.

[​IMG]

4. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Ha ha! Point taken but in some languages, Finnish and Russian plus others, articles don't exist so there is no 'a' or 'the' only knife :D

But you are right, the proportions cannot be bettered, when closed quite a lot of the blade remains outside the frame so despite a strong spring you may pinch it open if you wish. Once opened out fully, it's straight as a die almost looking liked a fixed blade. Plus the blade seems every millimetre the same as the handle, which is admirable. I dislike those knives that have a foolish short blade and a mass of handle:thumbsdown: Unless of course like an Ettrick, it's meant to have that on purpose.

Thanks, Will

5. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Music ambiance for the porch, on the porch, on the backporch last night ;)

That humpback is one fine pattern by case :thumbsup: Love the color. What are the beads for? just curious
    ...and a anarchist hanky huh

6. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Exceptional :eek:

Laurelbb and Travman like this.
  7. Crazy Canuck

Nov 24, 2013
    It is a pretty neat pattern. Kind of a strange stockman for sure with the spear main and straight line/angle with the spey.

The beads are begleri beads, sort of a "fidget" item originating in Greece. They're played in the hand, manipulating them, and using flow to move them around the fingers. Four years since I quit smoking, but still need something to do with my hands :) And the hanky, I covered up a part of the logo. The company is aroundsquare (the begleri provider) :)

[​IMG]

8. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    531943F4-7E7A-4AF6-BE3B-D64E3323EC3C.jpeg Today I am going with my 15 in nifebright. This is my most carried traditional.
    Since I bought it new it just sort of clicked with me.

9. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    I wonder where and when the pattern originated? Very classy

I'll look up the beads and thanks for the info :cool::thumbsup:

Edit: Super interesting video on begleri ...wow..I did not know. This would be so good for hand coordination in old age....especially for non dominant hand.
    There is no trick called the Humpback ;);)
    /thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Duckdog and scrteened porch like this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I really like the looks of those stockyard whittlers with the osage orange covers, and, judging from how that type of wood has aged on other knives, I'll like them even better as time goes by! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Good wood, and GREAT research, Jeff! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The ebony covers are swell, Stuart, but the unusual blade shapes and combos are what makes my heart swell for this pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Boffo brace of Barlows, Del, but the beautiful bottles from a bygone age are breath-taking! :cool::cool::)

Congrats on the beguiling Böker Barlow! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I need to get serious about finding one of those; the bolster stamp really grabs me! ;)

@Frailer and @Buzzbait , thanks for the very informative posts regarding Victorinox magnifiers! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Rousing pair of Remington folders, Tom! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

If I was required to say a few words, I'd definitely NOT carry that splendid pen, since it renders me speechless! :eek:;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great Texas Jack, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Do you know if Case uses that SAME stout pen blade on any pattern with round bolsters?

What a pair, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: It's hard to believe they're over 80 years old! :eek::eek:

My non-Alox SAK for vacation this week and next is a Vic Recruit tuned up for whittling (thanks, Greg):
    [​IMG]

My bailed non-SAK during vacation is a Colonial electrician:
    cedarville.mark.2open.dockpump.jpg

- GT

11. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    OK entirely too much time on your hands if your hitching horsehair. We use to have a guy in prison hitch some key fobs for us we'd sell. Course he had lots of time on his hands. Very cool!

Duckdog and scrteened porch like this.
  12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The Pocket pal holds a special spot for me, it's the first Vic i bought with my own money.
    They were discontinued by the time I saw the poor thing hanging dusty on the hardware store rack and I decided to bring it home.

Some fine carries and some great pictures for you this week :thumbsup:

13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Excellent working knife I tell ya, the ranger stockman was hell on cardboard at work today and after all that touched back up in no time.

Cutfinger, TFBraden, ISKRA and 18 others like this.
  14. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    That's a couple of stout companions for vacation, Gary!

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It's a great knife. :cool::thumbsup:

My wife and i usually unwind with a couple of hours of sitting front of the TV in the evenings. That's when I would hitch or sew saddle parts.

Duckdog likes this.
  16. Nsewell

Nsewell

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG] time to cool off and cut a watermelon with my 1306. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    IMG_20190810_144046.jpg
    I promised myself I would carry this lil Anza more! Love it on the belt.

Duckdog, Cutfinger, TFBraden and 25 others like this.
  18. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Just home from the last 26 hours in the hospital with my boy. He had a staph abcess in his butt. They had to do surgery and get it. Ended up being 2 spots. But he's out and we home and doing well. I had the foresight to grab his knife before we left to go.
    80532BE7-F700-4D7D-84F7-528CBC568271.jpeg

On a lighter note, my muscadines are ripening. But many of them are dropping before ripe or even close to ripe. Anyone know what causes that?

19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Could possibly be a lack of potassium in the soil. If it is, can rectify it with applying sulphate of potash.

Duckdog and Amir Fleschwund like this.
  20. Crazy Canuck

Nov 24, 2013
    Glad to hear your son is doing well after!