What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. :) I didn't even notice, until Dean pointed it out, that my timber trio last week were all "Euro-knives."

Thank you, sir. :)

Nice of you to mention my preparedness, Jack. ;)
    Lovely pair for you, although the pen blade on your TC seems a bit short for a melon tester! :cool::thumbsup::p

Thanks, Dean. :) I hope you find your Apprentice some day soon. I've become a huge fan of knives with a blade on each end, and much prefer them over a jack set-up. So I really like that RR pen knife, too; copper bolsters, spey secondary, and the grooved horn are all appealing. My pen preference has put Vic Settler (spear/pen) and Vic Apprentice (spear/sheep) on my "wish list".

I admire your consistent encouragement of so many of us, Jack, regardless of circumstances! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thanks for giving us a glimpse of lovable Lucy, the ironwood lambsfoot, again! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dean & Stuart. :) That mini copperlock has several features that really enhance its aesthetics, IMHO: it has the walnut Rogers jigged bone and quadruply-threaded bolsters (I think you have some Case knives from this series, right, Dean?), and @Leslie Tomville had @glennbad replace the standard shield at some point – it takes a village! ;)

Thanks for the compliments, Dean and Harvey. :) Dean, since I've only been doing this "knife thing" for 6 years, all my knives (except my very first) are relatively new to me. But the red Cadet was one of the first Alox knives I bought, I think, back in June of 2015.

Thanks for sharing one of your grilling tips, Jeff; can't wait to try that next time I put some chicken on the barby!! :D:thumbsup:
    We missed out on baseball's opening day last week, but this Tiger fan still appreciates your carrying that black/orange pair! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Great to see the Abbeydale Jack again, with its spectacular spearpoint blade and standout stag! Your stag duo is quite a pre-birthday treat for you! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I like the RR carbon models (I have a sowbelly, canoe, and folding hunter, and hope to eventually pick up a toothpick and a muskrat, at least). I imagine the yellow synthetic covers may be a tribute to Case's iconic "yeller delrin" covers. ;)

Thanks, Jer. :) My blond hair has all gone gray long ago, so I'm unlikely to notice any repetition on your part.

Thanks, JJ. :) Sorry for the misleading photo I posted; I'm not sure why I had that Sarge BSA Barlow posed on a Buck cap. :rolleyes:
    Your jigged bone shadow pens always make my heart skip a beat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the well-wishes and compliments, José! :)
    Your stag EO GEC #25 spearpoint is an outstanding knife!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the update, Bill. :)

Peanut of the Week is a Case chestnut jigged bone CV:
    chestnut.pile.closed.jpg

Stag/Horn knife for the past week has been a Rough Rider stag sowbelly stockman:
    stag.sow.mark.3open.jpg

Lambsfoot this week has been Cracker Jack, my stag Ashley's Choice lambsfoot, an A. Wright & Son SFO for Jack Black:
    cj.pile.Vstand.deck.jpg

- GT

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Stag Langres, France, by Stephane Thomachot.

4. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    E5A51C4C-600C-41D5-9569-C8301D009EEB.jpeg C74A4DB1-22E0-48E1-B1B3-FEC919DECDA6.jpeg 412796CB-0AE4-4815-9BF2-51456743E3C0.jpeg

@JohnDF , here is the next in my series of my favorite 14 GEC patterns.

The 35 Churchill appealed to me immediately. It is large, but the single spring makes it so much easier to carry. I love a clip and sheepsfoot combination. The cougar clawed bone is one of my favorite GEC handle materials. I am not a fan of most of their jigging patterns, but this one reminds me of Winterbottom Bone.

I remember the excitement when the Churchills were being produced. That was an epic run. Next up will be a duo since they are so similar; the 42 Missouri Trader and the 43 Oregon Trapper.

5. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Put new brakes, rotors and a wheel bearing hub assembly on my truck yesterday. Done with jack stands on the floor of the garage. I’m a bit sore today from all the stooped over positions and working a breaker bar. Today I’ll just do some laundry and be lazy, but if needed I’ve got a nice 66 to help me out.

[​IMG]

Tx308, Pàdruig, chuck4570 and 35 others like this.
  6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    B7CEB977-A0EC-4700-9D4A-22BB7D03E791.jpeg 3301E6C9-E5CA-42C9-A6C2-89AB67E20152.jpeg A few weeks ago I used a gift card to the butcher shop given by a family whose children I teach. Today’s the day for steaks!

7. Aryan29

Aryan29 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Lil Creek+FP Laguiole,
    Wood&Micarta.
    [​IMG]

IEN710, Haegar, chuck4570 and 36 others like this.
  8. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Gary, indeed I do have one of walnut Rogers jigged bone and threaded bolster knives (mine is the 3" 63090 stockman). :) All three of the knives you showed above are top-drawer. :thumbsup:

chuck4570 and Bloefield like this.
  9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That knife is Aces, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

Very nice. I don't have one but can appreciate what everybody likes about them. :cool::thumbsup:

chuck4570 and Leslie Tomville like this.
  10. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Gorgeous pairing, JJ.

That Sawby looks very slim and slicey.

Very nice, Jack, and very much like the original Marble's hunting knife that established that company's name.

Thanks for the nice pics and a nice chuckle, Jeff.

Delightful duo, Ron, and I do love an Electrician, so handy. I'm still totin' the Case Texas jack - just because I can.

You can say that again, John.

Perfectly fine pairing, Steve.

That chestnut peanut ain't nuttin' but the truth, GT.

- Stuart

chuck4570, Laurelbb, tmd_87 and 8 others like this.
  11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Harry! :) We definitely had a blast! :thumbsup: I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this year. Y’all stay safe and well too my friend! :)

Thanks Stuart! :) I love the little straight edge blade on the Electrician. :cool: When I carry a SAK for a couple of days it makes me remember just how versatile they are! Y’all stay safe! :thumbsup:

chuck4570, Bloefield, Aryan29 and 2 others like this.
  12. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Superb pairing:cool:

Everyday you can visit the forum and see knives to admire, ones you have to compare, but this is the one I truly envy ;)

chuck4570, Duckdog, Cutfinger and 2 others like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Indeed. The 35 has much to like about it and as you say, being single-spring (my favourite style) it is no obese passenger in the pocket:D The Cougar Claw I hope to see offered on something else soon, Forum Knife pattern 62;), as it is a deeply jigged style and like you note, echoes Winterbottom. I also find this bone I have on a 56 EZ-Open Pruner to be similar and appealing.

Thanks, Will

[​IMG]

14. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Mizzle! :D That's funny Jeff :D I hope it improves my friend :) Wow! What a pair of beauties! :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

What an outstanding pair Ron :) I always keep an Electrician in my bag :thumbsup:

Very nice indeed John :)

Thank you very much Dean, that's very kind of you :) I wish I could still get hold of those German Army Knives as easily as I could 10 years ago, not quite a Mauser, but definitely worth picking up :thumbsup:

Great photo Gary, and a lovely watercolour :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words Gary, I'm sure you are right about those Delrin covers :) Terrific trio there my friend :thumbsup:

Looks like you're enjoying your new Barkie Dan :) :thumbsup:

Smashing Vince :thumbsup:

Thank you Stuart, yes indeed :) They have been making knives in that style in Sheffield for over a hundred years, initially for the American market I think, where I imagine they thought they could compete with Marbles, and then with Boy Scouts, to whom they sold hundreds of thousands of that and similar knives. They were even called Scout Knives in England :thumbsup:

15. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) I like the Electrician a lot. :thumbsup: :cool:

chuck4570 and Jack Black like this.
  16. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Yes :thumbsup: , very very much.
    Elated is the word! :)

A perfect complement to my lambs :thumbsup: on my walks.

I am also learning/ watching videos about convex grinds, how to strop/sharpen this style of blade etc

I can see these two knives ( lambsfoot and little creek) being my walking companions for a very long time :thumbsup: :)

17. Beard&Owl

Beard&Owl

Dec 26, 2012
    These today. Really enjoying this H10 Hunter! Hope everyone is doing well! Back to the garden...... stu.jpg h10.jpg

18. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    It’s 5:00 o’clock somewhere in the world.
    [​IMG]

19. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Third day of being stuck at home. Forgot how much I love the 86 Oil Field Jack. The recent 62 release has been hogging my pocket. Thank goodness tomorrow is Monday and time for work! [​IMG]RIP Joe Diffie, Mr John Deere Green.

20. lavishmammal

lavishmammal Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 2014