What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Spaten

Spaten Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Ive got this 92 with me today.

2. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I've had these two in my pocket to start off the week. :)
    [​IMG]

3. GuestWho101

GuestWho101 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2013

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  4. GuestWho101

GuestWho101 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Indeed. :)

JohnDF likes this.
  5. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I don't know what that handle material is, but it definitely gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... What is it? 15989163094401445075180.jpg

These guys today, both rosewood, both special in the relationships they helped forge...
    The lambsfoot allowed me to strike up conversation with @Jack Black, and I'm proud to count him amongst my friends. The second, my first custom from Paul @CPE_Knives knives, a great guy indeed whom I'm working with to create possibly my grail knife.

6. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    [​IMG]

92 Talon in ebony and a newly acquired Twosun from China. Carbon fibre handles - I think they call this "unidirectional", as it doesn't have a weave pattern, but instead has layers like micarta or G10. M390 steel. Nice action.

7. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    put the customs and case/bose up for awhile.
    9261D909-F228-49E6-AA09-C5674A9170D9.jpeg

8. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Did the 92 come with a single blade? Or did you have it deleted?

Edited to add: I really like the bare headed look as well. That is a real beauty... Sorry just realized how redundant that was.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Zen !!

10. davemonkey

davemonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2014
    GEC calls it Looking Glass Abalone. It's a veneer of Abalone under acrylic.

11. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    It's unmodified. The original 2013 run of 92s included 2 blade "Eureka" jacks with a spear and coping, and single blade "Talon" jacks with either a spear or a wharncliffe. The spear on the talon was a bit narrower with a less dramatic curve to the tip.

12. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    I was going to ask if it was abalone, or acrylic... Didn't want to sound like a dummy, guess I was sort of right either way.

13. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks for the clarification. I had seen the talons with the wharnecliffe, was unaware of the spear version. I had a coping blade delete done on one of my '19 eureka Jack's, and I'm very fond of it, would like it even more if they had made them bare headed...

14. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Goldarn double posts!!!

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, Paul. :) Stay safe out there in the Great Plains; looks like the Dakotas have had an alarming COVID spike the past month and a half! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Thanks, John; I agree that's a superb example of amber jigged bone! :)

I didn't think my going away would cause any problems, but I guess I knew the waltzing back (like a bad penny) might engender some hard feelings! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dean. :) I had way too many knives with me and didn't have time to mess around with all of them as much as I'd hoped to. :(

One final celebration of "The Knives of August" before I get back to my rotation schedule for this week.
    A vacation by a lake made having some canoes with me obligatory:
    Rough Rider smooth tobacco bone stainless canoe
    tobacco.mark.Vmain.chair.jpg

Case amber bone CV canoe
    canoe.amber.mark.Vmain.chair.jpg

Rough Rider canittler
    ambercanittler.mark.3open.deck2dock.jpg

Don't like to leave home without a sowbelly stockman, and for a long trip, I took two:
    Rough Rider carbon steel sowbelly
    carbsow.mark.3open.deck2dock.jpg

Chinese Imperial cracked ice sowbelly
    imp.sow.mark.closed.Cville20.jpg

I figured I needed this Providence fish knife at a lakefront cottage:
    fish.mark.Vmain.onback.pump.jpg

An Imperial Kamp King was my scout knife for the month:
    impKK.mark.closed.lagoon.jpg

My entire flock of lambs foot knives has been working hard all year, so I thought they all deserved a vacation, too:
    8lambs.mark.V.jpg

- GT

16. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    A follow up from Saturday
    [​IMG]

17. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    Self-correction, these were 2014 releases.

#920114BE (wharncliffe)
    Ebony Wood 49 pcs. Unserialized
    Lava Acrylic 53 pcs. Unserialized
    OD Green Linen Micarta 105 pcs. Unserialized
    Maroon Linen Micarta 5 pcs. Unserialized
    Goldenrod Jig Bone 58 pcs. Unserialized

#922114BE (spear)
    Ebony Wood 50 pcs. Unserialized
    Lava Acrylic 40 pcs. Unserialized
    OD Green Linen Micarta 71 pcs. Unserialized
    Maroon Linen Micarta 5 pcs. Unserialized
    Goldenrod Jig Bone 52 pcs. Unserialized

It took me a year to find an ebony spear, and then 2 years later a member here sold me a second one (pictured with the Twosun above). The person who sold me the first ebony also offered me a lava acrylic, which I didn't have any interest in from seeing previous examples, but I couldn't resist this one when he sent me the pictures. I got the OD micarta one off eBay. I'm thinking of getting that one recovered in desert ironwood with a copper shield (the copper coming from a gasket/seal for a sight window from the fuel system of a SpaceX test rocket, courtesy of my dad).

[​IMG]

I previously owned an ebony 92 Eureka, but it just didn't quite float my boat - the pull was too light and I didn't like the steel liners at that time. And a 92 talon wharncliffe in ebony, which was sexy, but I'm not all that enthused with single blade wharncliffes. Obviously, like you, I really like the barehead look, especially with wood (I like the look with bone too, but I'd be afraid I'd drop it and crack it). I kinda want a new 92 in green micarta, and already would have one if they were bareheads. Maybe I'll get one to have recovered as well.

18. Wild Willie

Mar 19, 2018
    Those are all beautiful... I've been keeping my eyes open for a wharnecliffe, because I do like a nice straight edged knife myself, I have little hope of landing one... Scarcity aside I'm heading to Michigan tomorrow morning to pick up a bucket truck, so funds will probably be tight for a while. A custom recover with the copper shield will be damn fine if it turns out like I can imagine it. My photographic skills don't do it justice, but here's a picture of my stag eureka Jack with a blade delete by @Signalprick. He did a beautiful job, and though I don't carry it often it's one of my favorites. 1598923099371245578135.jpg

19. Spaten

Spaten Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I do find sharpening pretty calming. :D

Cutfinger and Gevonovich like this.
  20. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Decided to change up a little.
    Retained:
    (BTI) 858OTB and Marbles MR278.
    Put Away: The Two Buck 110's.
    Added:
    (BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint Folding Hunter.

WIN_20200831_193656.JPG u

(I isn't dum. Spear Point and Punch share the same spring, as are the other two share their backspring. To avoid over-stressing and breaking a spring, only one blade on each is open half way. :) )