What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    [​IMG]

2. redoxmusic

redoxmusic Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

RDaneel, jwb01, Pt-Luso and 32 others like this.
  3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks JJ :D :) :thumbsup:

JJ Cahill likes this.
  4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

RDaneel, jwb01, Pt-Luso and 23 others like this.
  5. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Toting a couple of my favorite GEC spear jacks today. :)
    [​IMG]

ISKRA, KnifeandEasy, RDaneel and 31 others like this.
  6. Takingiteasy

Takingiteasy

Dec 22, 2019
    Wow, I guess I haven’t been on the forum in a bit. Just saw this notification. Lol
    I used a dreamer with a 60 grit sanding disc for the majority of the shaping, then a 120, then a 240, then rubbed it with 400 grit and finished it with 2,000 grit. Then I finished it with BLO and did the standard mustard patina on the blade , although it didn’t take as well of that side of the blade as I’d started a patina already eating quite a few apples).

Reaper AL likes this.
  7. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Went on a prairie walk today with my dogs, carried a fantastic gift from Greg, aka Sunknife:thumbsup: he gifted me two Russell Green River fixed blades that came as kits and he put Osage on one and Black Locust on the other as well as a excellent handmade sheath:thumbsup: I'll show post more pic's in the near future.

Carried the Russell Green River fixed blade with my Ancient 2.0 TC today:thumbsup: Thanks Greg:thumbsup::)
    [​IMG]

Tx308, btb01, RDaneel and 32 others like this.
  8. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Congrats my friend . Very nice gifts from a very generous guy who has a certain artistic style of decorating knife handles and slips that I certainly admire . Carry them in good health my friend . Very nice photo I might add .

Harry

paulhilborn, sunknife and Reaper AL like this.
  9. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    These two. Glad I picked up this Texas Ranger. It's snappy!! The Osage hasn't came out of my pocket since it arrived.
    [​IMG]

Tx308, KnifeandEasy, RDaneel and 28 others like this.
  10. BDubbs

BDubbs Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2020
    Crappy overcast windy day building a 2 stage model rocket with my 13 year old for a sunny day to come. “X-acto knife? No, we don’t need one of those.”
    F56E595E-9A93-4C32-99BE-C72C16D2862D.jpeg

11. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

Bastler, RDaneel, jwb01 and 31 others like this.
  12. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

RDaneel, Pt-Luso, Bloefield and 26 others like this.
  13. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Reaper AL, 315, RDaneel and 18 others like this.
  14. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    30211709-A113-4C62-BDA9-4A5888953399.jpeg

Reaper AL, ISKRA, Trvr and 27 others like this.
  15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Before the pandemic, I volunteered in our church nursery 1 or 2 Sundays per month, and always had a SAK with me. It was useful many times for the variety of tasks you mention, as well as replacing batteries in parent pagers, and just being an attention-grabber for an unhappy kid! :thumbsup::cool:

Smooth! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the new knives, guys! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Les, that Crucible jack looks solid, with handsome bone.
    Dean, your new TC Barlow has bone that reminds me a little of the old clip/pen Antique Amber Sawcut Bone TC Barlow (which is the only one that happens to give me little heart palpitations :rolleyes:).
    Joey, those lined bolsters are fantastic.
    Steve, your new Buck 301 is timeless.
    Michael, your Middleman Jack is a classic.

Striking photo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (I have no idea how to make a pic like that, with color foreground and B&W background. :eek:)

Sensational pair of pens, JJ! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

All four are spectacular, José, especially the top and bottom knives with the little man on the blade! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

You have great taste, LT! ;):cool::cool: I have a 1975 model of that canoe, and I think it is the only knife I own that I haven't been able to bring myself to use (so far).

Thanks, John. :) I have another just like it except with autumn brown pick bone (or something like that). I'm very pleased with both of those Chinese Klaas knives.

Great knife, but be careful, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::cool: The first canoe I ever bought was scheduled to get a 1-week tryout, and the next thing I knew, I had to force myself to give another knife a turn a month later! :eek: Didn't take much to turn me into a canoesseur.

Great gift, Gary; you're a good buddy! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: May I show your post to my wife periodically throughout the coming year? My next birthday will be my 70th, and I'm not above using some blatant hints. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Stag-o-Rama, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Notable pair, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: 50 or 60 years ago, we'd have said that even the smooth one was groovy! :D

Thanks, John & Dean & JJ. :) I don't usually consider myself a Barlow fan, but I'm sure a fan of the rosewood HHB!

Useful pair, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'm enjoying your thread on medium jacks; how do you like your 33 penknife compared to your Case medium jack?

- GT

16. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Quality quartet, Greg! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Today the Keen Kutter is my favorite (and I really like that Airstream trailer cut-out, whatever it's for).

Thanks for the ID, John. :) I'd say that's my favorite Case medium stockman (unless you call the x347 a medium - then I might have to flip a coin).

Vibrant vintage Barlow, Dean, and a massive knot! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Your red Alox old cross SAK is first-rate! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

That you have your grandfather's old knife, and a substitute to carry is wonderful, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Notable pairs you've posted, José and JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Splendid knife, Frank! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have to learn the relationships among rail splitters, cattle knives, and stockman knives.

Congrats on your new TC Barlow, Paul! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I like that ritzy Tinker, too. ;)

Are those REAL? Is this a dream? :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you, José. :)

Thanks, Jack. :)
    Enviable pairs of knives the two of you are carrying, Jack and Bill! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Reaper AL, RDaneel, Pt-Luso and 8 others like this.
  17. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks a lot Gary!!! x2 :)

18. JoeGoblyn

JoeGoblyn Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Joe

Reaper AL, Trvr, 315 and 26 others like this.
  19. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Thanks, Gary. I gotta agree on the KeenKutter, sure wish today's knife makers could replicate that jigging on bone.:thumbsup:

20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Nice Mustard #56. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT. :)

Me too. :):thumbsup:

Completely different knives.
    I like them both and the #33 was my KOTY.
    But, I like Jacks the best, really not sure why?

AnW likes this.