What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    All this fishing talk has me thinking about going out and knocking a hole in the ice somewhere. On second thought, nah. I'll just daydream about nice fat browns rising to a hatch, and being in the right spot at the right time!
    Have a good one!
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, btb01, Pàdruig and 34 others like this.
  3. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I love seeing Eric Alber’s knives on here. He has has a lot of perseverance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    KnifeandEasy, Spaten, AnW and 4 others like this.
  4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Seems to me that many Vic Electricians have been posted recently; a knife that's hard to resist! ;):thumbsup:
    That I was carrying the ring-opener the same week someone posted a hockey skate and you then posted a pic of the John Watts buildings was an interesting coincidence to me, Jack! :eek::D:cool:

Happy to meet a couple more of your Old Friends! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't remember that you had one of the fine stag Forum knives.

Thanks for the helpful info, @Corto_Malt and José. :)

Congrats on the Case amber bone medium stockman, Will, and accolades to Bruce for his assistance! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the photo encouragement and for follow-up info on your grandfather's knife. :)

In general, micarta doesn't appeal to me (maybe I'm too old) but denim micarta is an exception! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Is the knife resting on the "hen and chicks" plant that often appears in your pics? I had no idea that they eventually turned purple like that!:eek: I thought they just disappeared under the snow and resprouted in the spring. :rolleyes:

Jack is that, isn't he? :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I wish shoveling were like lawn mowing, which you can limit to once a week without dire consequences. :(

Fine pair of knives, Greg, and an impressive bowlful of other edged tools! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Did you make all those arrowheads? I doubt if I could even draw one that nicely on paper, let alone shape one from stone!

Cool Case copperheads, Mike & Mike; congrats! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    I like the pocket watch, too. I had an annual physical exam a couple of weeks ago, and part of it involved checking the mental capabilities of a geezer like me. They gave me a paper with a circle on it, and instructed me to make a clock face, including all the numbers and hands. I thought about using Roman numerals, but the nurse didn't seem very cheerful, so I just went with 1-12 instead of I-XII. :rolleyes:

That stockman is a showstopper, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Splendid photo, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::cool: (Even though I'm not a big fan of saber grinds. :rolleyes:)

Sunny pair of knives for what sounds like an enjoyable trip to town! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Congrats on the vaccinations, ED!

Quite an assortment in your quintet, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Notable pair, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Maybe when the weather gets nicer, you'll take me for a spin in your time machine to pick up some of the pristine oldies you always find! :D:cool:

That model is probably my favorite of all the lockbacks I have! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is that some kind of belt/pocketedge hanger on the bail?

Thanks for the tropical pics, Jeff, including the Schrade that can raise the temp a few degrees! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Congrats on the tortoise shell! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Did you shave all those curls straight from the tube, or did you work your own magic on the edge first?

That pic really shows off the highly-coveted edges you've put on your Electrician! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do you keep the chisel grind on the sheepsfoot?

You're welcome, Mike. ;) I remember learning that word in connection with a high school Latin class over 50 years ago. (On the other hand, I thought I learned a cool new word last week, and now have no idea what it was. :(:mad:)

Couple of dependable workhorse knives, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the detailed, informative reply, sir!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

5. bigfish64

bigfish64 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Thanks! Click and Pawl reels, fiberglass rods, and traditional knives, match made in heaven!

Thanks! I’m as excited as when I get a new knife!

Thanks John, it’s a whole new experience, always felt a hot spot on my middle finger from the secondary blade. The rod and reel outfit took two seasons to come together, one for the rod and one for the reel. Couldn’t afford them all at once!:D

6. Jerbhola89

Jerbhola89 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Looks great!! Thanks for sharing :cool:

The only thing that I don’t particularly like about the 86 is the ergos. Both blades seem to be a bit hot-spotty when using (The clip when using the coping and vice versa).

Ice Tigre likes this.
  7. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks—really loving this knife. The size suits my hands. As for the edge, I’m the second owner, but it seemed unused. The edge seemed serviceable upon inspection, but I decided to touch it up on a Spyderco “double stuff” stone. After that, it would whisper cleanly through receipt paper. I’ll eventually use a fine diamond stone, then finish with a ceramic one, but for now it’s good. With curls like that it’s a combination of a fine edge, the right geometry, and a little technique.

8. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Humble Case Peanut SS in pocket worn Harvest Orange jigged bone today...

casepeanut01.jpg

-Brett

9. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Camillus #16 and a Boker Cattle Junior

[​IMG]

10. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks Gary for your kind comments !

Ice Tigre likes this.
  11. Jerbhola89

Jerbhola89 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2020
  12. bigfish64

bigfish64 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Totally agree, whole new experience now. :thumbsup:

Ice Tigre and Jerbhola89 like this.
  13. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Cleaning the garage this morning, and snapped a quick pic of this oldie... it lives in my tool cabinet.
    [​IMG]

14. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    2013 Ebony Boy's Knife:)
    [​IMG]

15. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    An older picture but this one today.
    [​IMG]

16. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  17. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Just arrived today, all in all pretty nice and had a decent edge on there, added a braided leather fob and the bead is held in place by a wedge of rubberized cork to prevent it from sliding off.

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

18. JonMcD

JonMcD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2020
    :cool:
    Oh come on Gary! Saber grinds are great! They are perfect for spreading all sorts of the finest delectables. Butter, peanut butter, apple butter, almond butter, sour cream, cheese whiz, brie, caramel, salted caramel, etc.

As a good southern man, I enjoy a good buttermilk biscuit. The saber grind is quite efficient for the spreading of grape, strawberry, blackberry, fig, apple, apricot, and muscadine jellies. However you may want something a bit thinner behind the edge to get good separation on your biscuit hemispheres.

The Trestle Pine is of course one of the finest spreading saber grinds out there but nothing quite spreads like a Northwoods. I suggest anyone that hasn’t experienced the spreading power of a saber grind with the heat treat scale still intact, flock to eBay with a five hundred dollar bill ready to burn ASAP. :cool:;):)

Thanks as always for your kind words GT!!!

Ice Tigre, CelloDan, guy g and 3 others like this.
  19. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Started the day with these
    [​IMG]
    And changed out to these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

peanutsxx, ISKRA, Pàdruig and 31 others like this.
  20. Trvr

Trvr

Jun 21, 2020
    Thanks. Both blades are sharpened to 17 degrees per side. The only chisel grind is on the round cutout (serration?) of the sheepsfoot. The primary grind is a bit asymmetrical too I guess.