What would take more of a beating, Benchmade Anthem, or Sebenza with a wood inlay?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lumberjack_jack, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Sebenza is much better than any bm .

353, BellaBlades and SavageSick like this.
  2. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Don’t count out a micarta inlay. Just something to think about :thumbsup:

BellaBlades likes this.
  3. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have the large Sebenza, Inkosi and Anthem, and here's a picture of them side by side. Since Anthem is an integral, it doesn't use an omega spring like most BM. Instead, there's a long, narrow spring run along the spine that powers the axis lock for Anthem.

In terms of 'hard' or 'rough' use, the bearings and spring in Anthem maybe a little slightly more susceptible to being stuck or failure. However, one could argue any inlay on knife is also subject to peeling or warping if it is organic. So I am guessing a plain jane Sebenza maybe a better candidate for 'hard' use?

teddy1093 likes this.
  4. lumberjack_jack

lumberjack_jack

May 6, 2015
    Seems like the sebenza 31s are still a few months away anyways, maybe ill get both if the money tree regrows a bit between buying an anthem and the 31s becoming available.
    And yes, the micarta looks great but i love the bog oak. I remove the pocket clips on all my knives and let whatever I'm carrying lay flat in my back pants pocket, thats why i was wondering about the toughness of the inlays as well.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  5. lumberjack_jack

lumberjack_jack

May 6, 2015
    Thanks for posting that, maybe (definately) i'll have a picture like that too, on a few months or so!

6. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Sebenza

buckeyejake likes this.
  7. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Anthem or Sebenza; unless you plan to beat on your knives with a rock, both of these knives will long outlive you.

n2s

8. 90kevp

90kevp

Jan 22, 2020
    I like the anthem enough that I purchased 2 of them. I'm not the biggest fan of frame locks so as much as I have considered a sebenza one hasn't made it into the collection so far.

The anthem's have been my go to knife on many occasions and have helped with some minor renovations on many occasions. Blade that is slicey enough for most tasks, but not thin enough that I'm worried about snapping a blade.

9. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Are you SURE you have a large sebenza? Both of those CRKs look like the same - maybe sebenza 25 (rather than a "large", which implies 21) and inkosi?

10. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    You are right about that. Sorry about the mix up of terminology, it indeed is a 25.

11. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    One thing to consider is the Sebenza was designed so it can be easily disassembled for maintenance .

vwb563 likes this.
  12. vwb563

vwb563 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I’ve never owned a Benchmade Anthem but I have owned many other Benchmade knives. I do currently own several Sebenzas. Based on my past experiences I’d have to go with the Sebenza for these two reasons alone, first is it uses the frame lock which is pretty much maintenance free unlike the Axis lock of the Anthem which just like most other Benchmade knives tends to break Omega springs occasionally and have to be replaced. Second the Sebenza is a snap to disassemble, clean, lube, and put back together unlike the Benchmade Axis lock design which can be kinda tricky to disassemble and reassemble. Just my 2 cents worth.

13. lumberjack_jack

lumberjack_jack

May 6, 2015
    Well, I checked in at CRK and seems the wood inlay Sebenza 31s are months out. I ordered an Anthem and its on the way to me. Maybe when the money tree regrows a bit the 31s will be ready.
    On a side note i handled a ZT 0640 yesterday which I loved except the size, if they made a little brother version I'd be all over it.

halden.doerge likes this.
  14. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Benchmades are good knives and I bet you'll like the the Anthem, though I don't have one myself.
    I think both are good knives and both should hold up to just about anything you'd sensibly use a knife for.
    On the non-sensible side I've used my Small 21 to de-bur pipe, cut air handlers and furnaces loose from duct work, you name it...
    I'll cut or scrape just about anything with my Sebenza but I've never used it as a pry bar or anything like that.

Me and a bunch of other people really enjoy Chris Reeves to have something nice to use at work.
    The axis lock just doesn't feel as fine to me as a CRKs integral lock even though it's still really smooth and convenient for EDC.

15. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    CRK is another class above Benchmade!

vwb563 likes this.
  16. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Congrats! I think you will like it... I would recommend possibly picking up a clip from MXGGear... I didn't hate the factory clip, but the mxggear is much better as an actual clip IMO.

Ranger522vx likes this.
  17. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    True and I like taking down the inkosi to clean etc... but the anthem as an integral is about as easy as it gets for takedown maintenance... 1 screw and takes like 2 mins.

18. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    The axis lock on an anthem uses a coil spring rather than the traditional omega spring on other benchmades. I don't think spring breakage is a concern with the anthem. In fact I'd take that lock over the Sebenza's frame lock any day.

19. lumberjack_jack

lumberjack_jack

May 6, 2015
    I hate all clips, factory or otherwise as i keep my knife in my back pocket laying flat. Appreciate the suggestion though!
    I also aleays found the clip to interfere with the feeling of the handle in a way where I just prefer it not be there...