1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Finally got some shop time rubberized carbon fiber and AEBL blade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If it's not to late I plan on auctioning this off and have all the proceeds go to help CMFTW family out

2. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I realy like those mini-kwaikens.
    If I may sugest a small improvement:
    Use a smaller diametre round file for the sharpening choil. I think that would suit it's elegant lines even better

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  3. jweber

jweber

Oct 6, 2016
    I haven't posted in a while. I've been working on some small marking knives for my shop and for my father. Here's the first one I completed. 1095 and an olive wood handle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Finished this little guy this weekend. First time with peened on bolsters & not all that pleased with how they came out, since the outlines of the pins can be seen. I might try silver solder on the next one.

7-1/4'' OAL
    3/16'' O1 Steel at 61Rc, radiused spine
    Hollow ground bevel (10'' wheel) & swedge (2'' wheel)
    Brass bolsters & African Blackwood handle

Thanks for looking!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few more with handles affixed & roughed out.

[​IMG]

5. PIndelicato

PIndelicato KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 16, 2002
  6. rjedoaks

rjedoaks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 2009
    3888E8E4-6BDC-40AE-8277-C72C2ACB81F1.jpeg 1585847B-2F58-4418-94ED-D223C4ED772E.jpeg I don’t see to many scandis around here

7. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
  8. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I saw the rubberized CF for sale, how do you like the material? How different is it from regular CF?

9. GBinGA

GBinGA

Dec 7, 2018
  10. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    I forged this blade out a while ago but finally got around to finishing it. It's a pretty basic hunter/skinner. Feels great in the hand and cuts very well.

Blade Steel: Aldo's 5160, finished to 800X
    Blade Length: 5 & 7/8" to the guard, 5 & 1/4" edge
    Guard: 416SS with black G10 and copper spacers
    Handle: Stabilized Lace Redwood with copper pin
    OAL: 10 & 5/8"
    Sheath: Hand stitched leather with pig skin lining

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rjedoaks

rjedoaks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks
    Bone Corian/ orange g10
    GBinGA/ thanks

12. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    Not real happy with this outcome. The balance of length to blade thickness is wrong and it feels.....cheap? I guess that's the way to put it. I did a lot better with things that I've struggled with like holding angles and curves true to the pattern and keeping grit out of places it doesn't belong. I've got some kind of hamon sort of thing going on and I don't know where it came from. There's also insect damage that I chose to leave in place because I felt like it belonged to the wood (maybe that's the tree hugging hippie in me talking). Alas, experience is gaining the knowledge you need just after you needed it...

Knife #7, .125" 1080 steel, local black walnut with danish oil, and 3/16" brass pins done with a Horrid Fright belt grinder and hand tools:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seanj, Hengelo_77, allenkey and 3 others like this.
  13. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    ten-six,

I don't think it's so bad. It looks like nice work. To my eye, it seems a little long between the plunge and the front of the handle. But overall it has a nice shape to it and the fit and finish looks great.

14. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    The scales should be a little higher on the ricasso, no doubt. It looked right when they were roughed in but not after execution. I'll make a specific note of that in my shop notes because it's a problem I've had before.

In the hand the thickness of the blade versus the overall length just doesn't match up at all. It feels like a big ole bowie handle with skinny little blade sticking out of it....probably because that's what it is. I feel like I should have planned ahead for this issue and ordered thicker steel but the fact is that I simply didn't know until now. So long as I learn from this I consider it a success even if it's not going to end up being my every day carry knife like I had intended.

Thanks for the kind words!

15. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Every knife is just practice for the next one. You'll nail it next time.

Coy Ranch, Sam Dean, ten-six and 3 others like this.
  16. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Adjustable handle for grinding folder blades

[​IMG]

some stainless donuts

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  17. Jesenius

Jesenius

Feb 16, 2016
    Loveless design inspired hunter, redesigned, Elmax @ 60HRc, satin finish, cocobolo wood handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost identical hunter with Ivory composite on handle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    OccamsBlade, DanF, Coy Ranch and 4 others like this.
  18. bikedave99

bikedave99

Feb 9, 2016
    Ten-six, well if it feels too thin and long maybe its a kitchen knife now?! You could ease down the upswept tip and it would look more the part. If you would indulge my opinion on the overall shape, the top is flat/straight for too long and would benefit from some curve/flow.... unless its a kitchen knife. Well made!

19. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    I agree with all of your points. I think I'm going to chalk this up as a lesson learned and keep it as is so I have a tangible reminder of those lessons. There's always more steel!

20. Laredian

Laredian

May 27, 2013
    I love that knife! Very clean work and elegant design, just awsome.

Here's a stag hunter I've finished up. My first stag handle, thanks to some advice from some folks on here. It turned out ok I think.

80CrV2 blade with etched flats and 800grit hand rubbed satin, stag handle with red fiber and bronze spacers and stainless guard and buttcap.

(crappy photos, sorry)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]