What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Do you try to use that ring for sharpening knife :)

2. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Working on grinding out this set of fillet knives today. AEBL at 63 Rockwell by Peters. One of these is an order, one will be mine. :)
    Sheaths planned for all similar to the photo below.

3Blanks1a.jpg

HunterBoning-pair-3.jpg

3. Storm W

Storm W KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2019
    Whats the details on all of them especially the middle one.

4. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Seeing as how we've got the worst air quality in the world these days thanks to the fires, and it's probably a good idea to wear a respirator, I thought I'd spend the weekend doing something that requires my respirator. Cutting up 40+ feet of 10" bandsaw blade.
    20200915_114503.jpg
    Looks like I've got 46 billets worth of 15N20 here. :)

Sam Dean, DanF, john april and 2 others like this.
  5. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    If the bandsaw blade was hardened, how did you cut it up? Cutoff wheel? Or did you somehow anneal it before cutting with a bandsaw?

6. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    :thumbsup:

7. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Work in progress on these fillet knives. Rough grinding done and just started to refine them at 80 grit. They have decent tip flex at this point. 120 then 220 grit to finish refining the geometry and final flex. Then polish with 340.
    roughgrind-1.jpg

8. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    VG10 core sanmai suminagashi, stabilized dyed maple burl, recycled old english elephant ivory. Criollo style sheath by Adrian Sanchis

Pablo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
  10. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Very cool!

AVigil likes this.
  11. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    I really like the style here. Roach belly kind of looking, with more elegance. Great job on the profile.

PEU likes this.
  12. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    20200916_005920.jpg

Hengelo_77, john april and Natlek like this.
  13. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    After taking off...oh...6 years or so I hopped back in the shop and made this little slipjoint in 154CM, Mammoth Ivory with Integral liner/bolsters. Probably doing a Lanny's Clip next. I'm making so few these days they are all for myself, my enjoyment or my family for the most part. Next slipjoint will have same integral liners, better relieved insides on the liners, use a bushing to better let me peen and hide pins and I'm working on nail nicks with a flycutter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    I see room for a couple more grinders in that bench!
    4D04A49C-FF3A-4687-94B0-16D873DACABF.jpeg

Brock Cutlery likes this.
  15. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    “There’s always room for one more”

Wyo Coyote likes this.
  16. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    That looks like the classic shop belt sander progression pattern:
    1. I'll do it all with files
    2. I will use this old bench grinder
    3. I'll buy that little 1X30 I saw
    4. Maybe I'll try that 2X42 everyone talks about
    5. Maybe I'll buy something inbetween the 2X42 but not quite a full cost/build 2X72 (optional step)
    6. Suck it up and buy the 2X72

Storm W, Wyo Coyote and CasePeanut like this.
  17. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Just the opposite, I evolved from a 1x30 to the 2x42 to a 2x72 kmg. I never had a problem out of the kmg, used it three years and realized I really didn’t need it, and devolved to the current setup and couldn’t be happier.

18. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I have a little work left to do on this one and it’ll be ready to go to its new owner. The blade is 15n20 and the scales are black walnut with brass pins.

Tyson A Wright likes this.
  19. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I like it, a lot of people underestimate how well thin 15n20 preforms.

Storm W and TheEdge01 like this.
  20. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    It’s one of my favorite steels.