Whats legal to carry for knives where you live?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by RAZORBLADES, Mar 1, 2011.

1. cccpull

cccpull

Apr 28, 2010
    I can understand trusting the deputy, but they're not lawyers.
    The Florida law is vague, contact your DA's office and research the law.

2. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    The forbidden list is shorter: balisongs, knives disguised as other things (lipstick knives, shotgun shell knives, etc), switchblades over 2" blade. Other than that, any folder is legal under state law. Fixed blades of any size (swords included) are legal if they are carried openly with no part of the knife (handle or sheath included) covered. Of course, if I were to walk around downtown with a sword on my belt, I might get some attention anyway.

3. severtecher

severtecher

Feb 24, 2002
    I live in Arizona, anything goes.

4. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Florida's CWP (concealed weapon permit) covers knives so I can carry nearly anything I want. So I carry a broadsword. I kid. Usually I carry some kind of Buck, like a 112 or 500, 307, etc.

5. lupus55

lupus55

Nov 21, 2009
    In Australia - We can own knives, with the exceptions of : Double Edged, Auto, Semi-Auto, Balisong, Push Dagger, any that could be construed as concealed.

Carrying is a different thing entirely. I know of people who have been raked over the coals for a small Swiss army knife.

Basically unless you have a reason to need it, for work for instance, you are not allowed to carry. You are NOT allowed to carry anything for self defence purposes.

Our gun laws are just as messed up. After the buy back where all the normal people handed their weapons in and the crims kept theirs, the amount of violent crime has gone through the roof. Not a week goes by without armed home invasions and heaven help any householder rash enough to use a weapon to defend themselves or their family. End of Rant....

6. tom19176

tom19176 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2005
    I avoided answer this for a few days as I post all the time in the knife law section on NY law. In NYS, you can carry exposed or concealled any knife with no size limit. Switchblades and gravity knives may only be owned or carried by law emfocement and persons with a valid fishing/hunting/trapping license. Stilettos, dagger and dirks are not to carried. The NYS law issue comes in with intent as any knife carried with intent to use as a weapon is then a dangerous knife and illegal. A gravity knife is any knife that can be opened by gravity or centifugal force and locks in place, and in NYC this has come to mean that any flickable knife is a gravity knife. NYC has a four inch blade length limit, and the knife can not be exposed in any way including a pocket clip being visible.

This short video will show you how bad things are in NYC. Neither the officer or the "suspect" have the law correct 100%, but this is where it can lead too if your small knife is seen in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oe-C-9MYVc

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  7. xmtgx

xmtgx

May 11, 2007
    Here's one for you whats the most strict knife laws you can think of, besides airlines obviously? federal buildings with 2.5 inch?

8. dunc5

dunc5

Aug 31, 2003
    In the Uk you can carry a non locking folder under 3 inches ok but you have to have a very good reason to have a locking folder ( any blade length ) , a fixed blade ( any blade length ) or a slip joint over 4 inches .The U.K law see's it that any blade that locks becomes a fixed blade .