1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Whats one knife you'd bet your life on???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by joeyza, May 29, 2013.

1. joeyza

joeyza

Feb 27, 2013
    thought this might be an interesting thread!
    if you had to pick one knife if lost or stuck in each of the following three environments what would it be?

1.) an urban, deserted city type environment (yes like we often see in the movies haha)

2.) lost in a jungle, in the amazon perhaps...

3.) any mountainous type region, like the rockies

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. ml100

ml100

Jul 19, 2005
    come on, not again...

3. TheSolitaryTraveller

TheSolitaryTraveller

May 26, 2013
    meh i'll play, I'd take a tanto with me with one that i can't answer since i've only owned and use 2 tanto's before both from Cold Steel. One was the tanto recon the other was.... the folding tanto forgot it's name. Why a tanto I got really use to dealing with the design and feel in love with it.
    Thou if my design was prototyped and tested and it passed, than i'd take it but that hasn't happened so I can't.

4. Tony8179

Tony8179

Feb 20, 2008
    Smatchet...

5. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    [​IMG]

6. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    My EK model 5 combat bowtie, one of my best all around knives.

Used it for camp chores, hacking through weeds or if need be as a defensive weapon.

7. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    This one!:D[​IMG]

8. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    In this scenario, I would have one of the SAK offerings in my pocket or on the end of a lanyard. These little pocket-tools are always a great idea no matter the venue. A close second might be a leatherman of some sort, although I have yet to actually use the pliers in the wilderness. I am told that getting stuck with a cactus is a painful prospect but the pliers might double as a handy pair of tweezers.

My main blade would be some form of machete. I have an older, bolo style machete that sports a rather stiff, 1/8th thick spine. The knife clocks in at just over one pound and feels great in the mits. It is about 15 inches in blade length and has slab style, hardwood handles with rivets. Brazil 23-074, hand forged bolo. I suspect I could do most anything with that machete!

9. NikkiR

NikkiR

Apr 2, 2013
    BK9, clipped.

10. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Tesla Model S Platinum Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I've never met a knife I'd give that much credit.

...not likely to either.

11. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    6 dollar machete for all three. My life doesn't depend on a knife.;)

12. Poez

Poez

Jul 5, 2010
    Certainly I will bet my life only on the strongest, sharpest, biggest badass knife I will happen not to have on me: for we are talking about dangerous unexpected situation (because all dangerous expected ones should be either avoided or met with a better tool/weapon than a knife). The knife I have with me right now is Buck Impulse with 2 1/2 in blade of 420 HC steel. And there is no way I would trust it with my life! And tomorrow I will probably have another easy-to-carry smallish light folding knife that will be as unsuitable... So I am out all by myself: having only my own wits, experience and common sense against whatever life throws at me!

13. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    I wouldn't bet my life on any knife, I would bet my life on my skills, intelligence and training. out of the knives I own it would be my spyderco military with cpm m4 steel, because that would be what's in my pocket.

though a sak hiker model would come in handy.

14. MAKnifenut

MAKnifenut

May 14, 2013
    esee4 in 1 and 3 and junglas in 2. id go for the esee5 if it was the end of the world and it was the only tool id ever have again

15. SaintlyBrees

SaintlyBrees

May 7, 2013
    For all 3:

Any knife so long as it was attached by paracord to a functional sat phone... ;)

16. texas gun person

texas gun person

Jun 9, 2010
    Boy, I've never heard of that knife before. Since I'm sure you didn't post for the only reason of being a negative nancy... play along or don't post.

I'll just say ESEE 4 because I like it so much. :thumbup:

17. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    1 and 3; one of my Fallkniven's, H1 is my favourite.

2; my Blind Horse Knives machete (which has been to the Amazon!)

18. acerpower

acerpower

Apr 27, 2013
    I guess my BK-2 because I could never break it.
    Plus in a pinch I could use it as a pry-bar, or hammer.

19. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    I'll play.

My NMFBM; because it has chopped an aluminum toboggan in half... Not even joking either.

Plus, it doubles as a paddle for the makeshift raft I'd build for the amazon river jungle escape or as a snowboard to aid in my egress from the mountain top in scenario #3...

Older pic of it:
    [​IMG]

20. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011