Whats the best out of: manix 2 LW, delica, and griptilian.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Conrad smith, Apr 20, 2020.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The Spydercos will be fantastic slicers. The Benchmades, because of their thick grinds will not slice very well, but they were not designed for that task. Spyderco has better quality control, but when Benchmade is on, they are good (I have a box of Benchmades). The Spydercos have bomb proof locks. If you use a knife rather than carry and play with a knife, the Spydercos will be the most satisfying.

Conrad smith likes this.
  2. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    It's very tempting to get the delica, it's cheaper than the mini grip too. Hmmm. Tough decision!

3. amunderdog

amunderdog

Feb 19, 2013
    "If there are any other knives I don't know about I'd be super happy to know"
    Drop has the Perpetua for right at $100.00
    It is not perfect, but, it is a whole lot of knife for the money.
    Benchmade is said to have the best warranty in the business; If that is important to you.

Conrad smith likes this.
  4. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    My preference is for the Griptilian 550-1. It features a 20CV blade and more solid G10 scales. The additional $$ was well worth it to me.

Conrad smith likes this.
  5. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    That sure is a lot of knife for 100 bucks. I do like it, thanks for the suggestion :)

It sure is nice, but Ill stick to my budget, I really can't afford the extra cost. Plus I'm not worried about steel to much. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

6. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Since you asked about others, look through the WE Knife Civivi line. There are some real "bang for the buck" gems in there. Also, in the approximate price range of the Manix, Drop/Massdrop Falcon and Crux are some rock solid Titanium/S35vn options (also made by WE Knife, Ferrum Forge designs).

Massdrop Crux, Gent, and Falcon
    Though with my own anodization on Falcon and Crux, and toying with scales (fine silver and copper) on the Gent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top, Civivi Elementum (CF and Damascus version, still under $100). Thin, easy to carry, great action, etc.

[​IMG]

And while not super light, I absolutely love the Kershaw Copper Natrix. This one is the small, but also available in regular and XL.

[​IMG]

Conrad smith likes this.
  7. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    Those are some nice little knives! I like the simple design of that mass drop crux. I love the civivi elementrum blade too. Are these two assisted? Although I can easily purchase assisted and some auto knives within my country, I can't buy them from other country's as they get destroyed or not let in, which is sad. Nice work on the scales man! Ive been playing round with silver and copper too, not scales but I've been making rings. :)

8. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Seeing that your looking for more a work knife with possible abuse like scraping and prying.I have to suggest the grip because they offer blade about replacements.Another is if your leaning towards delica,consider the fact that it's full flat ground VG-10 blade is no match to CPM-S30V and is actually a down grade in Steel and wear resistance.They also can't replace the blade but only offer a blade repair.Spyderco is general are really ment for cutting and not prying.

If your looking for a lock back the Cold Steel Recon 1 in S35VN is an excellent choice or any of their Triad lock knives.

9. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    Hey, your right that it probably will be used for prying and may get abuse, but I always make sure it's nothing that will break the blade, I use my kershaw leek which has a super thin little blade to pry and scrape and I've never damaged it. But I think I do like how rubust the grips blade looks compared to the spydercos. The one I'm thinking of buying that is on sale near me has 154cm blade steel, is this a good steel? Thanks. Stay safe :)

10. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    154CM is a good steel.Another plus is if you decide you could upgrade to S30V but you'll need to send it in.

Conrad smith likes this.
  11. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    you can get a Delica in glow in the dark. Knifeworks also has one with blue liners and S90V. Knifecenter has wood and Hap40, while cutleryshoppe has orange zome with Hap40.

Conrad smith likes this.
  12. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    None of these knives mentioned are assisted. But unlike the knives in the title, they are all flippers running on bearings. The Civivi pictured is a liner lock. The others all frame locks. They all have pretty sweet actions with solid lockup.

13. amunderdog

amunderdog

Feb 19, 2013
    Also at drop (usually) and not a liner lock or frame lock.
    Ferrum Forge, Pro-Tech, Mordax.
    I still prefer the Perpetua for a work knife.

14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I usually go for FFG blades over saber ground.

15. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    I looked at some more civivi knives and they are some are super nice simple designs which I like, using some nice materials for a low cost, I will for sure be getting one of these, I'll probably get the mini grip first as its on sale, 50 bucks off so I can't pass it up lol, but for sure I'll be getting some civivis.
    Yeah as soon as I heard protech I thought automatic knives so there's no way I can get them into the country. Such a shame becuase I do like pro tech a lot.
    The Perpetua is a nice knife for sure I like everything about it exept the design, it might be the handle but Im not sure. How does it compare in size to a mini grip?

I've tryed out both and to be honest I havint noticed any differance in the way they cut, so It dosint really bother me.
    Thanks. :)

16. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Buy all three and then tell us. Its a hobby embrace the disease.

scottc3 and Conrad smith like this.
  17. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    id love to buy all 3 but my wallet says no :( :p

18. omaha-beenglockin

omaha-beenglockin

Oct 22, 2005
    I have two of the regular G10 Manix2s and they are very wide in the pocket---but for the life of me, I can't keep an edge on either one of them--rarely used or carried anymore if at all.

The Delica is nice enough but I really don't care for old style back lock knives anymore.

The Grip is ok and I love the Axis lock but the plastic handle makes the knife feel really cheap---I would look at some of the other Axis lock Benchmades------------------------I did break a spring on a Presidio but that was after 13 years of almost daily use---it still works but the lock bar is really soft now---I just haven't got around to sending it in and have plenty of other knives to use.

19. scottc3

scottc3 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2014
    omaha-beenglockin, Might try putting another complete fresh edge on those Manix2s. Have a Benchmade 810 m390 that was a stinker but second edge made it behave like m390 from benchmade, for me, excellent.

20. Conrad smith

Conrad smith

Apr 18, 2020
    Ill probably buy micarta scales for the mini grip if i don't like the plastic scales. I may even make some, are there any good forum threads for making scales?