What's up with bushcraft craze?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, Dec 25, 2019.

1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    As for why "Bushcraft Snobs"?
    Because snobs.

As for why Bushcraft as a thing to do?
    Because my job sucks, most jobs suck, and we'd rather be in the woods cooking something on a fire.

As for why "Bushcraft knives"?
    Because most of us can't get to the woods practically ever because of our crappy jobs, so the alternative is to sit at home, look at some knife and say "Golly, this sure would work good for Bushcraft! Maybe some day I'll quit my crappy job and go live in a tree." (or some variation on that monologue)

2. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    It's showmanship. Take a look at Frank Richtig, if you could go back in time and see him hammer a Kitchen knife through a car axel tell me you wouldn't buy it. Or how millions of family's bought Ginsu knives after seeing it cut a beer can and still stay sharp.

This might sound like BS, but I also personally think there is a deep routed survival instinct in many people. Just how they say the fear of snakes gets genetically passed down. I believe that many people have a fear of "Sword Breakage" that also has been passed down. So seeing a knife do amazing things removes a lot of that anxiety.

Scott Everett and Smiling like this.
  3. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    This thread seems to me goes along with the other threads that ask ; if you only had one knife or had to pick only one which one would you choose.
    As of this moment and my future plans I don’t intend to be in that situation. And if that did suddenly happen I would have to make use of what I had or find something to use or a different method. Why would I purposely limit myself to only one knife? Why would I only want a bushcraft type knife? I have many other tasks that I would be better served to have the type of knife that suits the purpose and other tools just as important. That’s why there are different types and sizes of knives with different grinds, metals, materials, designs and finish. And even then personal preference and ability is going to require a specific type to meet the personal condition not to mention local law limitations.
    In Kansas we can possess and carry any knife with the only exception being to throwing stars and projectile knives. I keep in my vehicle a camping/ tool box with just about anything I might need, knives, tools, rope and materials if I become stranded somewhere far from civilization. I don’t have just one knife or tool or type specific, they are general use and will get the job done.

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Me too. I just need a chain saw and a winch.... maybe tire chains..... but I have knives covered 10x. Most times I camp, I don't even need a knife or my little SAK takes care of the cutting odds & ends. But since I jointed BF, I pretty much always have a fixed blade when I am "off road", camping, hunting, or hiking. I don't normally have a fixed blade with me trout fishing however as I never do any cutting that a folder can't handle (but there is one in the pickup). Sometimes after I'm done fishing, I'll do a little trail maintenance with a machete which is always in my pickup too.

@stabman Write more books and maybe you can live in a tree.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Henry Beige and Lesknife like this.
  5. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Just need to force more folks to buy my existing books. :D
    Hmmm...maybe I can find a way to use a knife to do that...probably need to find the ideal "Writercraft knife" to do so. ;)

Scott Everett likes this.
  6. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I hate to be the one to tell ya, stabby, its around.

It's called...wait for it...The pen knife.:eek:

:D

7. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Should have seen that one coming. :D

8. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    hey, at my age, I'll take any cheap shot I can get!!:D

Scott Everett, 22-rimfire and stabman like this.
  9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Read this a couple times and just figured the "pen knife" thing out. Outstanding!

10. glwanabe

glwanabe

Jan 30, 2007
    I bought a, "bushcraft" knife cause I thought it was nice looking, and my wife likes to carve on sticks when were camping and a spear point will be useful to her as she carves a stick.
    She prefers a smaller blade, and a generous handle cause her grip gives her problems
    with nerve issues.
    Now that I think about it, she likes to claim stuff that she likes. Well, she's not getting this knife. Maybe I should get her a bk62.
    Hmmm, back later, gotta shop.

Danke42 likes this.
  11. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    Not sure what sheath you use and if you haven't done so already, check out cold steel's c-clips. They are cheap and mount nicely on everything.

Smiling likes this.
  12. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Probably worth noting that the man who put the term in the modern lexicon passed away recently.

13. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    eldris is sexy kit but I didn’t like it at all. It was too much belly for me

Kels73 likes this.
  14. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Would that be the ink eraser?

n2s

15. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    What?

Bushcraft is so fun!!

At least to watch..

:D

16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I think if the book comes with a knife like a Mora wrapped in plastic and tied to the book, you will get more people to buy the books.....and a small how to use it section too. :p

Mr. Tettnanger and stabman like this.
  17. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Finally, a good use for a Mora. :D

18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I use Cold Steel secure-ex but I just screwed off part with nylon sheath.

I just looked into c-clip and yeah it's really cheap but look really good snd versatile. I'm getting at least one (maybe 2, in case I need to carry Recon Tanto again someday) :D

Thanks for suggestion :)

19. Crikeyyy

Crikeyyy Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 14, 2019
    How about a cold steel BUSHMAN?

They're so darn cheap. I need to grab a few for fun and bust out some spears in the woods
    >_>

20. Country_Squire

Country_Squire

Apr 7, 2019
    @stabman I really like your idea for a writercraft knife. It got me thinking that a computercraft knife is what I really need. I find that whenever I’m on Bladeforums I have zero need for a knife. With a computercraft knife maybe I could actually use my knife while enjoying the forum.

Scott Everett, Storm 8593 and Smiling like this.