What's your favorite Bushcraft blade right now?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Liveitloud, May 15, 2011.

1. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    2- BRKT Bravo-1 and a Izula-II for the finer stuff.

Doc

2. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    It's still probably my Booshway that see's the most bush time. More than capable of trap making and camp craft and yet still has enough heft for chopping and splitting !

[​IMG]
    By pitdog2010 at 2010-09-27

[​IMG]
    By pitdog2010 at 2010-08-10

3. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    Crappy pic, but my trusty ole' Carbon Clipper:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

-sh00ter

4. RescueRiley

RescueRiley

Mar 22, 2006
    for finer bushcraft related tasks than any carbon mora

5. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    I picked up this used Wohlwend scandi bushcrafter recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been getting a lot of use. It's sharp and easy to keep that way. At just under 1/8", it's not too thick and doesn't get hung up when carving wood like some custom scandis and wood-lore clones I've handled. It glides through wood in a very Mora-like fashion, but it's beefier like a wood-lore.

6. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a nice one, what are the specs ?

7. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    About 1/8" thick x 4" for the blade, which seems like 1095. The handle is a full 5". I don't know what the wood is, but it's nice.

8. D86PQ

D86PQ KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 28, 2010
    its Cocobolo wood

9. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    How sharp was yours when you got it? Out of all the customs I have bought my compact bushcrafter of Marks was the sharpest knife I have bought to date. Nice looking blade!

10. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    Damn those are nice looking blades. I have looked at them for awhile. Might have to get one.

11. GrinderMcgee

GrinderMcgee

Jun 23, 2008
    This one:

[​IMG]

and Mora Clipper

12. Rprecision

Rprecision

Aug 17, 2008
    Its a toss up between BRKT Liten Bror and my Aurora. But really I get all excited about Machete's these days. Its a spring time thing for me, time to chop stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

Thanks for asking. I'm sure if I bought this directly from Mark it would have been plenty sharp, but I bought it used and there were some minor edge issues.

If you look at the picture you can see some degradation of the edge around, what I guess I'd call, it's carving sweet spot. It wasn't horrible, but certainly a little rough and while it cut cut hanging printer paper, it got hung up on news print when I was first checking out. When I did a quick test on wood, it also wasn't working the way one would expect.

I first tried stropping it out on the belt sander with the leather belt, but that didn't work well enough, so I took it to the wet stones. After a bit of work, it is now has a nice zero degree scandi edge and is cutting like a laser. :thumbup:

14. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    Good to hear. Sweet looking blade beanbag!

15. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Mine could change very shortly !;)

16. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    The Ontario? lol

17. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Glad to see the Spyderco getting some love from people. I remember how so many panned it originally.

This is the one I've been using a lot lately

[​IMG]

18. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    I doubt it's the Ontario, but I think I've got a pretty good idea of what you have in mind P'Dog.

19. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    Jarvenpaa Aito Puukko in Birch Bark?

One of my all time favs.

20. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12

Jan 2, 2009
    mines been my JK Hiker & ESEE 3