1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's your favorite Bushcraft blade right now?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Liveitloud, May 15, 2011.

1. nativejim

nativejim

May 6, 2011
    new to collecting bushcrafters but so far it's my Bark River Northstar....

2. psychophipps

psychophipps

Aug 25, 2009
    I third the Spyderco Bushcraft accolades. They really picked the right group of folks to help them with that design and the handles are ridiculously comfortable. Best $90 I've ever spent on a knife.

3. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I have 2 from Mark. Like the both.

The smaller one despite what I would consider to be a harder to grind blade shape had a near perfect, razor sharp scandi grind on it.

The larger one had a bit of a convex grind to the scandi grind. Then it looked like he had a bit of trouble getting the two sides to meet up and finished it with a secondary grind that sort of varied from thinner on the blade to fairly steep on the tip.

The smaller one was ready to use right away but I've gradually worked on the larger one over time to diminish the convex and get rid of the secondary.

Another interesting thing is the edge retention. The smaller one I can whittle thru wood and cut with it a long time and it will still remain really sharp. The second seems to stay REASONABLY sharp but loses it's razor edge much more quickly than the smaller one. I'm not sure if it's a difference in tempering or just because I haven't got the edge totally straightened out yet.

[​IMG]

4. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Fiddleback Recluse (custom Wenge wood with tapered tang).
    But I just got this sucker in the mail today, and durn if it isn't great feeling in the hand.

[​IMG]

Thickness: .165”
    Blade Length: 4.25”
    Overall Length: 9.25”
    Grind: Full Height
    Edge: "Blended Zero" (Busse talk for convex)

5. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    My current favorite is my newest Brian Andrews (but it still has that new knife smell).

[​IMG]

But I still like my bitterroot when I want to go more compact (yet still have a 4" blade)

[​IMG]

6. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    At the moment my favorite is the BCNW-O1, Mike made one up for me in Lignum Vitae wood, absolutely love the design, and the knife is so comfortable, a great user.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    Although, I just received this Ahti Metsa and i think it's a wonderful Blade

[​IMG]

8. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks

May 24, 2010
    New Mike Griffin's take on the Mora design (thin blade stock, comfy round scales) in 1095 and redwood burl. I'll post a quick review when I get to take her for a spin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    That one really came out nice, I bet it will be a pure joy to use it :thumbup:

10. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks

May 24, 2010
    Can't wait! Mike is super humble, very talented and willing to email drawings for days to get what I wanted just right.
    TKnife, I really enjoy reading your posts, looking at your pics, and you always have a nice word to say. I've a feeling you're one of the good guys in this world.

11. beanbag

beanbag

Apr 1, 2009
    That's a beauty. I'm waiting on Mora-like knife like that from Mark Wohlwend. What are the specs.?

12. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks man I appreciate that. I think you'll find most everyone on here to be a friendly and knowledgable bunch. If they weren't, I probably wouldn't have stayed here so long :)

13. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Not known as a bushcraft blade, but my Extrema Ratio Shrapnel OG. It's just the right size, holds an edge and is my most constant outdoor companion.

14. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Tough call, if I answer tomorrow it might be a different one. Today it's this one:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow it could be this
    [​IMG]

Or this
    [​IMG]

15. bondy

bondy

Mar 19, 2008
    Iv started using this one i made ill get some pics when im out with it:thumbup:

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Wow...that one's awesome....more pics and specs please !:eek::thumbup:

Hey Bondy just noticed where ya live buddy, I used to live only a good stones throw away in Mansfield. Worked at one of the last remaining coal mines till I emigrated here 5 years ago.

17. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    Bushcraft...
    [​IMG]

Fishcraft...
    [​IMG]

Whataver...
    [​IMG]

I like my BK2.

---

Beckerhead #42

18. pyro777

pyro777

Sep 15, 2008
    Mine right now would have to come down between my Tops Mohawk Hunter and Ontario TAK-1.

19. Carolina River Rat

Carolina River Rat

Oct 29, 2008
    These two have been on me pretty much constantly since I got them. Around town, in the woods, in the house. The Canadian Special is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. bondy

bondy

Mar 19, 2008
    Cheers pit, next time your over here come visit the workshop.
    the knife as black micarta scales red liners. 81/2 overall . heres a couple of pics from yesterday:thumbup:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]