What's your woods bumming gun

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pa knifeguy, Feb 26, 2020.

1. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005

2. oof

oof

Jan 4, 2009
    First one of the year, from a few days ago. Found 30 that day.
    [​IMG]

Grateful and 1AbominAble1 like this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Pretty small Morel to harvest now.

4. oof

oof

Jan 4, 2009
    It's really early for them here, and the blacks don't get as big as the yellows.

[​IMG]

5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have one of those which I used to carry often in the woods. The little Ruger SR22 pistol works pretty well too as long as you don't have to hunt for food. A 4" Colt Diamondback was my go to 22 for the woods for years until they got so expensive. So, out came the Smith's.

6. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Always carry a Glock 17 when camping, sometimes an AR. For a woods walk I usually have a Ruger MKll 22lr. A coyote is the biggest thing around here and they don’t bother anyone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Grateful and Plainsman like this.
  7. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I live in the woods, today I was mowing a field and had an SR22 on my side. If I'm just bumming around usually I'll have a 10/22 or a Ruger American carbine in 17 hmr and some sidearm. If there are coyote's around and I have the room I'll pack a scoped Rem R15, got a load dialed that'll punch a dime size hole at 200 yds. Usually it's just bunnies and voles, they're fun to shoot at from the seat of the tractor with the SR.

I don't really consider hunting bumming around but during deer season if I'm outside not actively hunting but don't want to miss an opportunity I'll pack a Springfield custom long slide 1911 in 10mm w/a Leupold Delta pro dot or if my hands aren't full I have a little AR in 7.62x39 I'll pack or throw in the truck. Elk season there's no messing around, that's full game on!

It's legal to pack pretty much whatever a person wants as long as it's not fully auto where I live. I shoot pretty regularly, reload, have a range out to 300 yds on my property and my back yard is full of short range pistol and rifle targets. I shoot out my bedroom door if I just want to pop off some rounds in the back yard. My friends (who don't have property) sight in they're guns at my place or come over just to waste ammo. Shooting is a great past time, relaxing and helps me focus, the whole family enjoys it. Big game hunting is those few months a year when I get to put what I practice into freezer filling, completely different sport. Small game and varmint hunting happens year round. Cats and coyotes love to munch on penned up livestock if possible. Coons are a terrible menace to the chickens, guns sit near doors at my place and my kids have been shooting since they were 4.

8. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Hahaha! Morels with sidearm for scale.. thought I was the only one that did that ,hahaha.
    [​IMG]

Grateful and 315 like this.
  9. CSG

CSG

Dec 15, 2007
    Usually, an LCP in a Mika pocket holster. If I'm van camping, I usually carry a Glock 17 or FNP 45 in the rig.

10. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Where I live, no restrictions on killing 'feral hogs'. You can shoot them from helicopters and cars, with machineguns or suppressors, or in my case at night with a thermal scope.

The 22lr is good for killing poisonous snakes and aggressive dogs, though I prefer a shotgun or an AR-15.

With a concealed carry permit, you can openly carry a pistol in stores, on the street, in your car, etc. Where I used to live (different state), 'open carry' was legal for everyone not a criminal. It was almost comical to see someone from California freak out in line at Walmart to check out when someone in line had a 1911 'cocked and locked' in front of me! :)

Mikel_24 and Mistman68 like this.
  11. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    I kinda envoy you guys who can carry a rifle when just bumming around in the woods. It would be great wonder around with my 30/30 Marlin 336, Remington 572, or even my AR pistol. It’s just not very practical around here with all the foot traffic on the local trails. It’s a pretty far drive out of the suburbs to get somewhere remote enough that it’s practical to take a long gun with you.

Most general hiking is with a Ruger LCP. Small and light, so it doesn’t interfere with any pack I’m wearing, while also letting me easily climb up a lot of the rocks and boulders we have in my part of the state. And .380 Hydra-shocks will take care of any two legged predators I might run into. Hiking or camping a bit further out, where there’s a better chance of running into coyotes or black bears, I’ll switch to either my FNS-40 or 1911 for a little extra piece of mind.

12. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    S&W Model 60 1 7/8” is what I’ve been carrying lately.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  13. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    Model 63 S&W most of the time.

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Great little revolver! I have 3" and 5".

15. Blackcloud

Blackcloud

Dec 20, 2019
    Ruger Mk3 most of the time but once in awhile S&W 638 with FBI loads. Out on the prairie I don't have much worry about anything more than snakes around camp or camp robbers. In the mountains 2 legged predators can be an issue from thieves to dopers to just plain honery assholes and need a bit more, hence the Smitty. Used to carry my 1911 but I like the lightness of the 638 at elevation in my old age.

16. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Depends on what I'm doing.
    Every day Concealed Carry in Idaho is a Kimber Ultra TLE II compact 1911 in .45 ACP. I forget what SD cartridges its fed are called.
    My Idaho Open Carry is a Traditions "Trapper" percussion ML pistol in .50 caliber. (50 grains FFg under a patched .490 round ball)
    When in the Idaho hunting grounds, a (pre-fire) Thompson Center (factory) .54 caliber Hawken, if I don't have my bow or crossbow.
    (The T/C load varies depending on what is in season and I have a tag for.)