1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Where do you buy your elements?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Steve Beckwith, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Steve Beckwith

Steve Beckwith

May 29, 2004
    To those of you building your own kilns, where do you buy your elements? I have a kiln that I built during my glass blowing days that I originally powered with an oven broiler element. At the time I only had to hit 1000°f. Anyway, the kiln is just over one cubic foot interior, built of 1 " kaowool board. 240v 20 amp circuit. From what I understand, 2000 watts will be adequate. I either need a little help calculating wire size and length (I am thinking kanthal a1) or preferably a source of stock elements. I would like to install one single element if possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve B

2. Steve Beckwith

Steve Beckwith

May 29, 2004
    So here I am answering my own question. I found a company, Krueger Pottery, out of St. Louis. They stock a variety gauges of Kanthal A1 wire and will wind them on several different sizes of mandrels. I ordered one from them on Tuesday morning and received it on Friday afternoon. Great service.

120 Acres likes this.