1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Where is the L6?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by jdm61, Jan 24, 2019.

1. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Aldo has been out of L6 for quite some time and did not respond to an e-mail about when there will be more. The safe guess at this point would be somewhere between "long time" and "never." So where can you get sheets of flat L6 in usable thicknesses and widths and for less per pound than prime ribeye steaks?

2. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    This won't answer your question but, SB specialty metals has L6 in round bar.

Hoss

3. P.Brewster

P.Brewster

Jul 25, 2007
    A group buy from Niagara is probably the only way to do it

4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Hudson has L6 too, but it’s pricy.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Do you know which L6 it is? Like champaloy or republic with Moly or Carpenter without? Just curious

6. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I’ve got about 6-7 pounds of Republic L6 left I’ve been hoarding. I was just going to order some L6 from Aldo to weld in for axe bits but it seems to all be out

7. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    I can’t remember, it’s been a while. I bought some to make pattern welded billets so it didn’t matter to me as much. Give them a call.

Hoss

8. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Hoss, I am looking for sheet that is not 1/2 inch or more think, more than 7 inches wide and not crazy expensive. For hawks and such.

9. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    I think that insanely expensive is the term that you were searching for. Like PM steel pricey!!!!:eek:
    [

Willie71 and Drew Riley like this.
  10. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    What I usually see said about the Baron is that the website is a poor way to shop with him... calling gets better results.

11. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    I have noticed that several companies are a little disorganized with their websites. We do need to remember in this world with Amazon that these are small businesses. I would suck at maintaining a web presence.

PS. I got my piece of Damascus and its awesome.
    Storm

Salem Straub likes this.