1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 16 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Buck Custom Shop 119 Special lasermarked with the BladeForums logo!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Buck Custom Shop 119, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 20; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Whestone and German Knife

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by vadimk, Mar 23, 2019.

1. vadimk

vadimk

Mar 23, 2019
    Hi,
    I have a Suehiro 1000/6000 whetsome for my japanese knives and i was wondering if you use those whestome for german knives sharpening (like zwilling pro ?) i read somewhere but can't find the link that it's harder to sharpen those german ones ? is that true ?

Thanks

Vadim

2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Traditional European knives are softer than Japanese knives. Any whetstone that can handle your J-knife will be fine for German.
    With softer steels you may get a gummy sensation on the stones, depending on how fast the stone sheds grit.
    That said, I find that European knives are a great reason to break out my novaculite or blues/coticule. But that's just because I like those stones.

3. KnifeRep

KnifeRep Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2018
    You could skip the 6000 and just steel and strop after the 1000, unless you want scary sharp. My personal gauge and sales training tells me most German forged knives are 54-56 HRC, some will go to 58, Friedr. Dick's fully forged Premier line is and it gets a bad rap for being hard to sharpen, but their edge retention is great; I have two old French knives that are in the 60-61 HRC range, hard as snot, but a great edge once worked to death..., but those knives are few and far between in today's new European made knife market, even the cobbled French stuff.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. vadimk

vadimk

Mar 23, 2019
    Thank you very much

KnifeRep likes this.
  5. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree that the softer stainless steel knives can work great with just sharpening on the 1000 grit side of your stone.

6. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Sharpening is all about preference and what works for you. The goal is a fully apexed edge free of defects, doesn't matter much as to how you get there so try what you have on your knives. If you don't like it change your setup or technique a little.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019