1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Which is easier to maintain : Dragonfly 2 or mini-griptilian ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Chapp

Chapp

Mar 28, 2018
    Questions for people that have the two of them and maintain them from time to time, by opening them, cleaning them and put them back together.

In your opinion, which one is easier to maintain ?

2. t5brick

t5brick

Oct 4, 2018
    They’re very different knives.

I’d say the Dragonfly is probably easier to take apart simply because it has less parts.

3. ric75

ric75

Jun 2, 2017
    Dragonfly.
    Less parts and backlock.

But for standard maintenance a disassembly is not necessary.

4. Dragonfly by far. Never heard of anyone needing a replacement backspring for one, but the omega springs on an Axis lock are a common weak point.

5. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Dragonfly. The Axis lock can be a bit of a pain for some but Nick Shabazz on Youtube has some good tips on one of his break down vids. As for the Dragonfly 90 percent of the time all you really have to do is blow it out or run it under the faucet, dry it, and put a drop of light oil on the pivot then rub some on the blade. No disassembly required. Nicks Axis lock Vid >

6. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Dragonfly, I use a backlock at work and maintenance is taking a hose to it and sharpening. I'm not sure how well an Axis lock can handle the dirty environment I'm in and they have a tendency to need spring replacements as another person said.

Night Rider likes this.
  7. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    They are both good knives that would do fine if maintained with just oil and compressed air, just like the Buck 110s that are used as hunting knives for years and never disassembled.

AntDog likes this.
  8. Whitedog

Whitedog

Dec 30, 2005
    Both are easy to maintain. The biggest problem for a lot of people who think they have to take a knife apart to clean is they are going to strip screws or loose them. Not really necessary to take a folding knife apart to clean. If it is really dirty some warm soapy water, rinse and blow dry and just a little drop of oil on the pivot.

James Y and AntDog like this.
  9. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    They are both very easy to maintain, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I don't disassemble my folding knives. Worst I give them is water and condensed air followed by some light lube now and then.

I guess some folks feel the need to disassemble/reassemble, I just never have.

James Y, fishiker and AntDog like this.
  10. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I never disassemble knives. Never had the need and certainly never had the desire. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.") So that's off the table.

I find the Spyderco leaf blade shape to be much easier to sharpen than any other non-straight blade. So, for ease of sharpening, the Dragonfly gets the nod.

James Y, Krav, fishiker and 2 others like this.
  11. gnystrom

gnystrom

Dec 24, 2006
    Spyderco over Benchmade any day.

12. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    You can get a dragonfly in H1 and you’d never have to maintain it since H1 will not rust.

I’m definitely more of a Spyderco fan than benchmade, but both are nice knives.

13. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    DF2

14. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I've had Dragonfly 2 for years and use it often. It lives by my chair and serves duty as a general purpose, around-the-house knife. All I ever do is sharpen it.

15. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I'm another who never takes folders apart unless there is a problem. I would go with a Dragonfly 2 Salt if worried about corrosion. I fish saltwater 2-3 weeks or more each year and I'm sold on the performance of H1.

16. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I can clean my mini Ritter in snap with an air compressor. In all of 5 years I’ve used and carried it somewhat daily, the most apart I’ve had it was pulling the pivot screw to readjust and loctite it. That’s my fault for flipping it so often, it’s hard not to. I do try to clean off the tang and such with a Q-tip or something similar once in while. That’s really it, though.

[​IMG]

17. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I think it depends, the Axis is more complex, but honestly since lock backs are under tension, I really disliked the time I blade swapped a DF2. I have stopped taking knives down to clean them. Compressed air makes it fast and easy.