Which knives would you pick for WWIII? (If it ever starts)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    But which ones are better for that upcoming WWIII struggle ?
    0.5L jogging bottles or rather 2L PETs ?

Smiling and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    You have to wonder how much of that high tech would still be operational once the satellites, cell towers, etc. started coming down... could very well be back in the Stone Age with those primitive weapons, at least for the ones lucky enough to survive :rolleyes:

Natlek, sabre cat, Smiling and 2 others like this.
  3. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Well, true, knife will come handy, but until then it sucks when your enemies have rifles :D

4. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Most gun owners don’t have very much ammo.

allenC likes this.
  5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Having a knife is a lot better than no knife. On the weapons comment, you should have mentioned "legally". I feel sure the right person could come up with all kinds of automatic weapons (military grade).

Smiling likes this.
  6. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Yeah, but that's not something you'll be talking about online...
    Lots of AK-47's are being sold here illegaly...

7. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    I'm stacking nice and cute knives for WWIV already ...
    Looks you guys do the same :^D
    Good thinking

Smiling likes this.
  8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    If we don't get disintegrated together with out knives in the initial blast :D

9. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Considering that most grocery stores don’t have more than 3-5 days worth of food and most families don’t have more than a couple of weeks of food it could get exciting very quickly.

Also, they say you can go only about two weeks without food.
    You may be able to last a little longer but, what would life be like?

Quiet, DangerZone98 and Smiling like this.
  10. Boombats

Boombats Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I've already started eating human flesh, you know, for practice. One can never be too prepared

11. helobite

helobite

Aug 26, 2008

Thousands of years ago hunter and gatherer societies outstripped the resources of the natural earth and humans required intensive agriculture to support their growing population. The logistics of the tons of food necessary to support a city population are mind boggling and not represented in the video games or dystopic movies which form the basis of most people's conception of end of times conditions.

It will be worse than the Irish potato famine or the great Chinese famine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chinese_Famine Millions won't be dying of starvation and diseases , it will be billions, and no pocket knife will prevent cholera.

12. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I agree, if we all suddenly became hunters and gatherers - all wild animals and majority of edible plants would go extinct within weeks.

helobite, DangerZone98 and GIRLYmann like this.
  13. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    the planet's at the point where
    humans are no longer sustainable.
    oh, great next topic
    "what's your seppuku knife ?"
    [​IMG]

14. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    I would be thinking about rifles and handguns first........

15. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I recall a TV show or special that was advising how to survive in a hypothetical post-apocalyptic scenario. I don’t remember where I saw it; it might have been on Discovery channel or something. It focused on two characters, a man and his son, trying to get out of Los Angeles and traveling north, and what they have to do to get there. The show was recommending that people leave the cities and migrate to a place with lots of wilderness and natural resources, like the American northwest.

To keep on the topic, IIRC, the only “knife” or tool I recall being mentioned was to have a multi-tool. Then again, I could be mixing up two different but similar shows.

Well, “Just move to the American northwest where you can join an idyllic community and survive off the land” is stupid advice, because if you thought of it, so have a TON of other people, not to mention those who are already there and will defend it for themselves. There won’t be much available even if you somehow made it there in a post-apocalyptic world. Okay, I’ve kinda gotten away from and beyond a WWIII scenario, but who knows?

Most people, when picturing such scenarios, are full of fantasies. One guy on a martial arts forum said that in such a situation he would join a community, be part of the ‘protective team,’ and just practice full-contact fighting all day every day to be ready for invasions from hostile groups. He was quite serious, too. But with no modern medicine/medical care available to treat his constant injuries, he would quickly become useless and a liability to the community he fantasizes about protecting with his bare hands. I only mention this as an example of some of the ridiculous fantasies people have around these topics.

Jim

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    sabre cat, Smiling and GIRLYmann like this.
  16. Boombats

Mar 21, 2010
    Good points, James Y. Not to get too serious with this thread, but there are so many misconceptions of what is necessary for survival, often based on works of fiction. The truth is that humanity has become so dependent on technology and is so wasteful and destructive that it would not take much to render us all helpless. Anyone who is not already living in an area with natural resources is pretty screwed unless they can gain refuge with trusted people that do. I live on the top of a hill near the end of the road, and my family has a woodlot that could double as hunting ground if need be, but I fear the "citiots" that own property up here because they will surely wreak havoc on the wildlife with their AR-15s once they run out of Chef Boyardee. I'm planning on preemptively cannibalizing these morons the instant SHTF but please don't tell them that

GIRLYmann likes this.
  17. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    oops! most folks these days can't survive
    without their personal electronic devices.
    so it wouldn't be the first thought in their
    minds to evacuate where no signals exist :)
    multitools make great urban edcs.
    with zero electricity and depleting fuels,
    i can't imaging fixing anything out in the
    woods that probably won't work any ways.
    granted anything with a blade & saw is great.
    movies are a source of inspiration.
    and i have no doubt many will adopt
    or copy the works of popular culture
    welcome to a new world where life immitates art :)

Smiling and Boombats like this.
  18. Boombats

Mar 21, 2010
    Which leads to the next inevitable thread: "What's the best knife for field dressing an approximately 5'-6' bipedal mammal?"

GIRLYmann likes this.
  19. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Staying in urban areas would have it's advantages too honestly. Sub urban areas would be ideal tho.

Multi tool is useful as long as you're not in nature and you need something to process wood with or so on...

Multi tool and fixed blade would be a combo to go.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  20. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    RAT Cutlery RC3, Lon Humphrey Bell Bowie.
    Also the RC6 and Gunfighter Bowie if I can swing it.

CS Recon1, GB2, Manix2 LW, Boker Carver Congress

Smiling likes this.