Which lightweight sleeping bag to choose?!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Zymologist, Feb 17, 2014.

1. spoolup

spoolup

Apr 27, 2007
    Agreed with above, just get a quilt. I own a few for my hammocks (which I also own a few) there are plenty of shots in the forum under my user name incase you want to search but my go to is now hammock gear. I have a 0 and 30* setup. Just remember you need something under you in a hammock too. wind will pull the heat our your bottom and give you CBS (cold butt syndrome). I also have some JRB quilts and a next but the hammockgear is still my fav.

Some of the hammock setups this winter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some size comparisons, this is my hammock and large tarp (with doors for sealing yourself in if needed). Hammock is a warbonnet blackbird XLC, tarp is a warbonnet superfly. I use whoopie slings with a toggle/ marlin spike hitch setup.
    [​IMG]
    Hammock compressed
    [​IMG]
    Fly compressed
    [​IMG]
    My 0* insulation (actually overstuffed so its closer to -5 or so but still)
    [​IMG]

FYI this is WAY higher than your price range. The JRB stuff can be had on sale thruought the year, so keep an eye out to save a few bucks, but it still cost a pretty penny. Check out "the ultimate hang" by Derek something or other for some great advise.

2. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    For hammock camping, the simplest and lightest weight option would be a top quilt. No zippers, essentially it is a down blanket designed for a hammock. Many of the makers can make an extra width version if you need it. hammockgear, kick ass quilts, jacks-r-better, and others all make exceptional quality quilts. But, as others have mentioned, you NEED insulation on the under side of a hammock if you are camping at cooler temps. Even at 40 degrees with a 20 degree bag, you will be cold on your underside. The reason is that all of the insulating material is compressed, which renders it useless. An underquilt is the best solution, but a standard camping pad can be used inside the hammock.

I have a Clark Jungle hammock with a hammock gear 0 degree underquilt (my temps in Wisconsin call for this most of the year) and then I use my standard Marmot Pinnacle bag that I've had forever. For the most part though, the underquilt does most of the work keeping me warm... I could get away with a much warmer bag on top. I could probably be comfortable with a bag that was rated at my expected temps, or even slightly higher with a good underquilt. Again, bottom insulation is more important.

JGON

3. Zymologist

Zymologist

May 21, 2012
    Wow SpoolUp thank you very much for all of the detailed pictures of your set up that definately clears up a lot for me.

Yeah its more than my price range originally but thats just too slick I'll splurge on one when they go on sale before next winter and that'll be the ticket.

Thanks again everyone once I get out this summer I'll make a post on my set up I get together. :thumbup: