Which locking compound to stop pivot blots from loosening

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by 651bobby, Apr 13, 2020.

1. 651bobby

651bobby

Sep 5, 2008
    Hi, I have spyderco knife which I've used so much that the pivot blot which affixes the blade to the scales works loose after a bit.

I wouldn't mind so much but it takes a bit of time to get the bolt to that exact right position where there is no blade play but the blade comes out nicely. That said I do take it apart infrequently to give it a good clean out.

I looked around online to figure our which Locktite product I might be able to use to remedy this. An initial search suggested I need Locktite blue, but then different sources would suggest different compound numbers.

Can some one please spoon feed this one to me, which loctite product should I get to remedy this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Blue loctite works well. I usually just use Teflon tape because it’s easy, mess free, and still allows the pivot to be adjusted.

3. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Blue loc-tite, one small drop. Adjust the pivot to the correct point and let the knife sit for 24 hours before using it again.

best

mqqn

4. 651bobby

651bobby

Sep 5, 2008
    when we say Loctite blue, are we talking about 242? This is where I am getting confused/overthinking it?

Cheers

5. 000Robert

000Robert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I bought a Loctite Blue Stick recently. Got tired of the messy liquid. It doesn't say if it is #242 or not. I am not sure if it even matters for knives.

6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Blue 242 is the standard most people recommend, 243 is the oil resistant version of 242. In reality, the purple for micro fasteners is just fine and less likely to damage fasteners when removing.

7. 651bobby

651bobby

Sep 5, 2008
    Perfect, exactly the answer I was looking for.

rpttrsn and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  8. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    I havn't tried it yet, but Josh knows his stuff.

woodysone and razor-edge-knives like this.
  9. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Purple loctite here, but it is harder to find in my area, unless you get it online.

rpttrsn likes this.
  10. rpttrsn

rpttrsn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2006
    If you check the Loctite web. site
    Purple is for screws up to 1/4" (as mentioned not as available in local stores)
    Blue is for screws over 1/4" (it will work) as many knife company's use it.
    Purple would be my 1st choice since none of my pivot screws are over 1/4"
    I followed this recommendation when working on pharmaceutical equipment for over 30 years.

11. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Purple Loctite 222 is what I use on knife size screws.
    The only time I've ever used blue on these size screws was in a very high frequency constant vibration environment, a rare case.

rpttrsn likes this.