Which Pry bar for edc?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by bigfish, Jan 9, 2021.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    An uncomfortable dose of reality. Guilty as charged on the paracord bracelet.

2. nosuchagency

nosuchagency

Jun 6, 2009
    best to not over analyze...

[​IMG]

Lee D likes this.
  3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I keep one of the 2" steel wiggie pry pars from Countycomm on my key ring.

jeepin likes this.
  4. SouthernRhino

SouthernRhino

Jan 16, 2021
  5. 6_String_Jams

6_String_Jams

Oct 3, 2014
    I really like the little widgy bars from County Comm

Lee D likes this.
  6. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    After trying several larger prybars, I found that 99% of the time I didn’t need anything more than the Leatherman Brewzer. Its $5, isn’t noticeable on a keychain, has a box opener/tape ripper that keeps me from having to clean residue off my blades,... plus it has a bottle opener to boot. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

A.L. and mabrowns like this.
  7. bigbird99

bigbird99 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2020
    Check out Quest prybars made by Greg Goeckel. He makes a really nice titanium one with custom options!
    [email protected]

8. eginder

eginder

Feb 4, 2012
    Don’t know if you’re still looking, but I’ll chime in as I got bitten by the pry bar bug a month or so ago. First off, everything powernoodle said is absolutely true. But hey, if not for the power of the coolness factor and the urge for toys to fidget with, sites like this wouldn’t exist, same with custom knives, flashlights, etc. Here’s what I’ve got:

[​IMG]

From the top down is Prometheus Design Works, two Lynches and a Teale. The Teale is solid steel and probably has the most “pry” in it. The other three are all titanium. I’ve got a Pacific coming from Iron Bull Slingers, but after that I think I’m done with the genre. The Lynches are by far the easiest to carry; the Teale is kind of heavy and the PDW has too many angles and edges for a pocket. I clip It to a D ring on a pack or throw it in a gear bag. I’ve been carrying one of them for the past week or so. Used the PDW to open some beer bottles after an off-road ride in Ocotillo Wells. A little more difficult than with a Swiss Army Knife. That’s been about it. No doubt Lynch is king in this little niche world though.

9. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    What powernoodle said is true for him like I said when I chimed in I used a EDC prybar daily when I was working

10. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    If it can open a beer bottle it has Socially Redeeming Value :thumbsup:

11. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    A pry bar would've been useful years ago, when I had to pry open a side garage door to got into my house. I'd gone for a hike and forget my and keys and hadn't bothered to take my cell phone. It was evening when I got back to the house and it was getting real cold. The end result was a broken tip on My Spyderco Endura Clip it.

[​IMG]

12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I've always liked the look of the Lynch but the design raises some serious questions. Look at how little metal is actually joining the pry part to the handle part, all the torque is happening at an extremely weak part of the tool.

ice-pic likes this.
  13. eginder

eginder

Feb 4, 2012
    I agree; if I really needed to pry something and didn't have, you know, an actual pry bar, I'd use the Teale. That thing is pretty strong.

14. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    I think you're way overestimating the amount of torque that is potentially being applied to the prybar. The thing is tiny and it is sufficiently thick, you'd be hard pressed to find an average person that would be able to apply enough force to break it, let alone finding an EDC situation where that type of force would be needed.

mabrowns likes this.
  15. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Au contraire. Personal experience.

[​IMG]

Superdave1 and knarfeng like this.
  16. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    So what's the story?

17. StoneAndSteel

StoneAndSteel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Love my Lynch Northwest. I keep it on my keyring. Since carrying it over the last couple of years, I've gotten out of the foolish habit of using a knife for prying or as a screwdriver. And contrary to the claims of some, I used it at least three times today (not including the opening of an adult beverage at the end of the day).

18. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Prising up a thin plastic lid. These bottle opener cut-outs are a significant design weakness IMO.

Grouch likes this.
  19. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    bad heat treat :D

Pomsbz and lieferung like this.
  20. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    A real pocket pry bar should be thick and monolithic, almost as heavy as a cold chisel. No holes or notches that will weaken it. It should allow a steel pipe to be slipped over the handle for increased leverage. The pinch edge should gradually thicken into the shank. Best example I see online.

[​IMG]

Pomsbz likes this.