1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who’s hooked on traditional lockbacks

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Sharp & Fiery, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

This is my first post in the traditionals forum, so if i do anything wrong, please be nice. ;) I’m willing to change. Lol.
    I was given my father’s lockback a few years back as some of you may know, and it kindled a fire for searching out traditional lockback knives. Lockbacks have been my favorite locking system for a long time, i just tended toward more modern pieces. But...there is nothing more beautiful than a traditional lockback...dressed in exquisite burl or bone. The craftsmanship is a thing of beauty. The simplicity is what draws me to them. Solid lockup, and well, ready for any cutting task.
    I do have a few slippies as well, but lockbacks are what draws me to collect traditionals. Below is a couple photos of my slippies and lockbacks...all traditional in style (i believe).
    Im curious to be made aware of the makers and companies that sell traditional lockbacks. Thanks guys! Enjoy!

D3A02055-2AD8-49E0-B0F4-8622DC9CAE18.jpeg 66D1CED9-8CB0-46AA-B64B-B61DDBF95002.jpeg

Pics of other traditional lockbacks are welcome here!
    Keep ‘em Sharp!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Here are a few of my favorites. I suppose they would fall under the traditional category.

Boker Boy Scout. Blue and Red Honycomb.
    IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4358.JPG

A. G. Russell 3 5/8" Gunstock.
    IMG_4033.JPG

4. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Me.
    Buck 110 and 112, also the Schrade Old Timer 7OT and 6OT, and the Uncle Henry LB7.
    The 110 or a 7OT or 6OT has been on my belt every day pretty much since 1969.
    Though truth to tell, I did get a Buck 112 last year, and it was on my belt for a "few" consecutive months.
    I generally pair a Buck 301 or 371 Stockman and SAK Huntsman or 4 blade Scout/Camp knife with the lockback. :)

6. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I like your little collection @Sharp & Fiery, a nice blend of traditional/traditional and some with a modern spin.
    The bottom 2 Le Thiers are especially nice.

Lockbacks are my favorite locking device for folders - solid and user friendly - though typically require 2 hands.

Ray

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  7. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    The two bottom ones are my favorite too. @RayseM. One is a tail lock and the other a backlock. Im sure you know that. :)
    AA Grade walnut is by Gilles, and the Curly birch is by Chambriard.
    I got lucky at bladeshow this year and got to hang out with Ron Lake for a few hours. So interesting. I was telling him how much i love his tail lock design. :) I was pretty excited when he took out the Tail lock for auction to let me handle. :) Was way out of my price range to begin with, but a beautiful knife nonetheless.

RayseM likes this.
  8. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Also, my apologies for posting another thread about lockbacks. :/ we can just let this one die. Sorry guys and gals.

9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Not a problem, S&F, we'll probably get a new and different assortment!

I carried one very much like this for almost 15 years as my only pocket knife: Gerber Silver Knight.
    [​IMG]

My most recent is a beauty from Case, their Tribal Lock in Navy Blue jigged bone.
    [​IMG]

Dschal, Crazy Canuck, neal70 and 7 others like this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm not necessarily hooked on them but I do have a handful of them.
    In general if I'm going to have a folder that locks it will be a lockback.
    I like the small folders I have that happen to be lockbacks, but honestly I find myself wishing they were slipjoints so I could just close them without having to deal with the lock.
    I like the knives for what they are though and I'm certainly perfectly happy with lockbacks in a larger knife say sodbuster Jr size up to a 110.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  11. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    @black mamba

That gerber looks nice!
    And congrats on the Jigged Bone Case!

neal70 likes this.
  12. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Case's Tribal lock is a pretty nice knife.
    [​IMG]

155440, Dschal, Crazy Canuck and 6 others like this.
  13. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    No worries on the new thread! There are other multiples of threads on the same subject. [​IMG]
    I think this is all of mine so far,;):thumbsup:

14. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    @Peregrin Now you’ve got me looking into the Case tribal lock! Thanks!

@Misplaced Hillbilly Excellent collection!! And nice way to position them for the photo. I like it! Is that a lockback sodbuster i see?

And thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, and made me feel not so new to posting in the Traditionals forum. :)
    S&F

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    @Sharp & Fiery you definitely need to add a tribal lock to your collection!

Pocket worn whiskey bone CV:
    [​IMG]

NWPilgrim, JaxBaron, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  16. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    I was intrigued by your post about the Boker Boy Scout ... perfect small size & what I'm looking for as an EDC. Only thing is that I was absolutely flabbergasted at how much they cost (I'm not familiar with higher end Bokers). Can you tell us if they really are THAT good ... are the side panel inlays really well done, fit and finish top notch & worth the GEC-like cost in your opinion ? THanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    neal70 likes this.
  17. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I love the patena on your tribal lock! @Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  18. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I put down a base with hot vinegar and then sliced strawberries for cereal several mornings. In addition to the pocket worn whiskey bone, Case just announced a sawcut brown bone tribal lock in CV. :)

19. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Hmmmm....

20. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Have and like several OT's. Not hooked.