1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who’s hooked on traditional lockbacks

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Sharp & Fiery, Aug 10, 2019.

1. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I saw a Cabernet bone SS tribal lock yesterday that had slightly thicker scales than my delrin tribal. It felt very good in hand, but was priced over $100.. had to leave it there. My "sour grapes" thought was "well, I wanted it in CV anyway".

Get it? Sour grapes/Cabernet?

I got a million of 'em.. I'll be here all week...

2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Fit & finish is excellent. Solid lockup. No blade play. N690 blade steel. Lock releases with just the right amount of resistance.

They were worth the cost for me but that's mainly because I think they are gorgeous knives. In my case, I wanted the knives more than the money. They were even more impressive when I got them in my hands.

They could be constructed better though. Handle slabs and shield are attached with adhesive. I will only have a problem with that if they come loose but in my opinion, they should be pinned in place for that price.

3. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Check out this LITTLE guy- a BEAR MGC lockback. In my pocket every day - thus the dust :)

Your basic bubbly cork for scale:

Bear-Lockback.jpg

Ray

4. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I forgot to say Welcome to the Porch! The lockback sodbuster is a Bear and Sons, yellow g10 grips, it doesn't have liners so calling them covers doesn't seem to fit. It has a little up and down play and a little side to side. The up and down play was caused by abuse from foolishly loaning it to someone. Someone who did not tell me they was going to use a hammer to drive it through a 1/4 inch thick plastic bin under a boat seat to drain water:mad::mad::mad:. But honestly it still functions fine and has just a small amount of play,so it actually faired pretty good. Bear&Sons QC can be hit or miss though.

neal70 and RayseM like this.
  5. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    AE1EC094-7CEB-4261-8EC6-DB42D2AA2769.jpeg This 65 and 99 are probably my favorite traditional lockbacks.

6. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    @joeradza , Alan I’m not gold anymore, can I talk you into uploading a shot of the knife I received from Russ? It’s under my name in Custom etc. etc.
    Thanks, Neal

7. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    That's such a cool little knife!

Fixed ;)

8. neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    Whaaaat?!? @Crazy Canuck ! No no... why did you do that? Lol. Thank you!

9. Crazy Canuck

Nov 24, 2013
    All good, sir. But we do want to see that picture now :)

flatblackcapo, RayseM and neal70 like this.
  10. neal70

Jun 3, 2015
  11. neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    My first custom. A good name from a good friend. Thanks CC! Forgot the process for a moment.
    Thanks, Neal

12. Crazy Canuck

Nov 24, 2013
    Very cool. I have a few lockbacks, mostly from Buck, and two 83's from GEC. Top two Bucks are from the Custom Shop, as well as the DLT 110 SFO, but that's as close as I've gotten to a custom one. Also have a Case Tribal Lock en route :)

[​IMG]

willc, Dschal, WolfyW and 5 others like this.
  13. neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    Well, I still don’t have a 42 or 72, lol. Going to have to break down I suppose. Almost easier to trade into anymore :rolleyes:
    Thanks, Neal

14. neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    5BBC0858-5292-4151-8F8D-1A4D6C99136E.jpeg I am fond of these, this one is CV, 2001 I think:
    Thanks, Neal

15. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    ???????

neal70 likes this.
  16. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Misplaced Hillbilly and neal70 like this.
  17. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    THanks for the intel Railsplitter - I really like the G10 framed version - bet it's feather lightweight.

[​IMG]

18. glocktenman

glocktenman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2008
    I've had a few. I like them. My fav is this GEC lockback. I have since sold it. IMG_2409 (2).jpg

Dschal, JohnDF, neal70 and 3 others like this.
  19. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
  20. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    ... and of course the incomparable MOKI Ares 433 CRZ :cool:

MOKI-on-Moss.jpg

Makes this old Buddhist smile :)

Moki-on-Putai.jpg

Ray