1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Motega, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I'll chime in and just say that they have their place for all of the reasons folks have listed here and many more. There's definitely a beauty and a craftsmanship to well made Traditionals and like any art form, if people enjoy them, what's the big deal? The initial inference of your post was along the lines of "I can't believe people still buy these, because I PERSONALLY do not like them. They should all go away!"

It really smacks of "But, why do you neeed"ism. You should stop that, because it's a bad look. Let folks enjoy what they enjoy. Me? I personally own and enjoy knives of all types.

2. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    My butt looks cute in Wranglers and a slipjiont is all those pockets have room for :(

Hey man, you asked.

A.L. and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  3. Motega

Motega Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2006
    That's BHA not BSA. Couldn't possibly be a more traditionally minded group of people out there- we're actually doing something in the real world and not just complaining in the virtual world about the problems the modern word has brought to bear on our wild places.

urbantrapper likes this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Herisson, That wood handle beauty blows me away!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If it becomes a burden to you, I have an address you can send it to.;)
    :D

5. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    I know... I bought it just for the insanely beautiful handle (horse chestnut burl scales). It's very small, blade hardly over 2" (2" 1/3) but featherlight and razorsharp. If it ever becomes a burden to me, I promise it will be sent to you. Don't hold your breath, though. I like even the nice stuff I don't use often...

6. Mikarta

Mikarta

Oct 8, 2019
    They make great secondary knives to loan out to people, and are good for "dressier" occasions. I highly recommend the Cold Steel pictured, S35VN and full carbon handles for $50? how could you go wrong? Also the Maserin serves as my lunchbox knife at work since it's pretty much steak knife sized and shaped.
    [​IMG]

7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    That Maserin is pretty even though it is a rather plain looking knife.

jux t, Mikarta and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  8. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Plus on the Maserin. Very nice...

9. Mikarta

Mikarta

Oct 8, 2019
    I agree, however the think I like most about my slipjoints, is they can all be disassembled and maintained properly, which is a reason why I don't buy alot of slipjoints. Also the reason I havent picked up one of the Buck 110/112 Slim.

10. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Lander boy Matt likes this.
  11. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Life's like a riddle & I'm really stumped Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Wow, wish my lunchbox came with steak...

colin.p likes this.
  12. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Modern slip-joints.

Slipjoint_B.JPG

Fire Beard, jmh33 and benchwarmer380 like this.
  13. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I went from moderns (high end production and customs) to traditionals because I'm never going to use a folding knife in a way that requires a lock or needs to "drop shut." Doubt many here do? I have a Spyderco if I need one. People like different things. I like the materials used and the craft required to make classic knives. If I were serving in the military or a first responder I'd carry a modern one hand opener but since my knives are primarily letter openers I'll probably keep collecting traditional slipjoints because to me they're way more involved.

Here's a recent buy for me. This does have a lock but IMO way cooler than any reate or crk or custom flipper on bearings I ever owned... No torx and requires two hands to operate, homie.

Attached Files:

14. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Nice knife! Love me a tail lock!! Who made that one if you dont mind me asking?

Pogonasong likes this.
  15. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Interesting thread...Think I'll grab a sandwich and see what folks have to say...

[​IMG]

16. redsquid2

redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I guess you're being funny.

I just bought a couple of Rough Rider Peanuts to give away for Christmas.

rough rider.jpg

Easy to carry and very useful.

I have always liked slipjoints since I got my first one at the age of nine. Like others have said, they don't scare non-knife people.

jmh33 likes this.
  17. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Ryuichi Kawamura ...search "knives" after his name there's some guy with the same name who's a musician haha

Sharp & Fiery likes this.