Who made your favorite puukko?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by WhittlinAway, Jun 12, 2020.

1. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It’s been wonderful seeing the renewed activity in a few of the long-standing Puukko threads lately. I have an itch to bring another into my meager collection, but I don’t have a specific maker in mind. So, I thought I’d pose the question here: who made your favorite puukko? I’m not necessarily asking about your finest or prettiest, but, rather, your favorite. Who made it, and, if you can articulate it, what makes their work special?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Magizm7, Pàdruig and MolokaiRider like this.
  2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Malanika.
    It was sort of a custom, in that it was made in the blade steel and handle materials I requested, at the length I requested, and with an alternative style sheath. I think I caught him just before he "took off", as his prices + wait time have gone up & he has mostly moved on to other venues. I'll find and post a picture in a few.

*edited to add image
    [​IMG]
    (my only other puukko is a Kellam Wolverine)

3. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
  4. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Such an awesome Puukko. The more I mess around with knives I am starting to understand these blades are akin to a sports car that has 4wd.

I hope to have one some day.

Henry Beige likes this.
  5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I like my factory Iisaki Jarvenpaa just fine. (I probably didn't double enough letters there.) I got it before the family sold out to someone who needed a bigger profit margin. That's the story I've heard to explain the price rise. I got mine from the allergic Scandinavian for $68 delivered, and last I looked the same knife is something like $168 on the same site.
    [​IMG]
    I think it's a Lynx I'm tempted with from Martiinnii.

6. R.c.s

R.c.s Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    That's an easy one :) . It's the cheapest one out of the 5 I have and it's made by woodjewel Finland . I will add a picture when I get a chance .:)

WhittlinAway likes this.
  7. old Lefty

old Lefty Basic Member Basic Member

May 15, 2020
    Man with a Tilley hat and puukko is a man worth knowing!

8. old Lefty

old Lefty Basic Member Basic Member

May 15, 2020
    My favorite maker is Iisakki Järvenpää. Nothing too fancy, solid traditionals puukkos to use and display

WhittlinAway and scrteened porch like this.
  9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I have a Henri Tikkanen Karjalan style, puukko that has been a great pleasure. Young Finnish maker , easy to communicate with, good prices, excellent (if not the most refined) product.

Puukko-on-lichen.jpg

Just sos ya know - there's a nice custom listed on the fixed blade exchange right now.

10. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    Anybody have experience with Helle Knives?

I want a good puuko that is a step up from a Mora but not a custom.

Can any of y’all recommend a knife like that?

11. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Neither Helle nor Mora makes puukkot.

12. kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    This was my favorite puukko.

[​IMG]

The maker has a unique style, a look that makes his knives immediately identifiable. His craftsmanship is impeccable. I've owned a few customs over the years, and this puukko was the closest to perfect that I've seen.

[​IMG]

His sheathwork is outstanding as well. Not very ornate, but with this sort of quality they don't need to be.

[​IMG]

Like a fool I let this knife go a few years back. It was a tad bit smaller than I liked, so I sold it thinking I'd just order another one. Alas, I don't think he makes knives any more, so I have to try and content myself with these meager pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    OH man - selling a near perfect blade while expecting that another - just a bit better - is out there :rolleyes: I've done it too. I feel your pain my brother :( @kamagong. That is a beauty of a puukko.

14. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Great puukkot all.

I crafted my favorite user puukko. Lauri PT blade (3.4") nickle silver ferrule and butt plate, walnut handle (with slight hook pommel). Fitted, stain Ramako leather sheath converted with a dangler belt loop. Not my "best" work, but a good user. It's been hundreds of miles on the Appalachian trail and lots of other hiking/backpacking trips.

Jarvenpaa are good, now outrageous prices, Wood Jewel are better value but none compare to fine custom work.

[​IMG]

This is my best, crafted for my wife. Similar specs to above, but ambongia (sp?) wood handle. She's never used it:)

[​IMG]

I like pretty much all puukkot. Lets see some of your home crafted puukko.
    Rich

15. kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Yeah, it still stings when I think about it. That specific puukko was an award winner and won the gold at one of the annual Fiskars competitions -- championship class, user knife category. I used to hold her in my hands and simply marvel at her construction.

A more prudent man would have made sure he had its replacement before letting that knife go. Bird in the hand and all that...

Hairy Clipper, redsparrow and RayseM like this.
  16. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Kamagong

I suspect many of us have sold/traded knives that we would like to have back. I know I certainly have (many were oldies or one of's that couldn't be replaced) :-(

Rich

17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I’m a newbie when it comes to puukkot

Love the design. Almost looks like it shared DNA with some of the Japanese swords/knives.

anyone know the history of the design?

18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Somebody made this one out of a file and used it till he wore the paint off the butt.
    [​IMG]

Alwaysdreaming, redsparrow and Rich S like this.
  19. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I can see why it’s your favorite. Thanks for getting us started. :thumbsup:

Nice! I have a Lynx Lumberjack (the carbon one) that I like and use a lot.

Thanks, Jer. I hadn’t heard of that maker before. :thumbsup:

Cheapest and easy favorite, that’s a nice combination! :)

... and another mention of Iisakki Järvenpää. I’ll have to find out more.

Gorgeous knife. And, sounds like a maker I’d be interested in finding out more about.

Wow! Thanks for sharing the photos and story.

Nice answer. Nice work, too. :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  20. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    Check your PM Greg, @WhittlinAway.:thumbsup: