who makes a2 steel knives, fixed or slipjoints

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by toppygray82, Dec 30, 2019.

1. toppygray82

toppygray82

Jan 12, 2014
    hello bf members i am looming for a fixed or slipjoint knife in a2 steel.

flat ground !

any good company.

i know about lt wright but thats about it.

please advice .

i am not considering bark river as they are convex ground .

thanks

2. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I have an older unused Gerber Hunter from when they were a American Co that has a A2 Blade & a black Aluminum handle. If interested! PM me.

3. toppygray82

toppygray82

Jan 12, 2014
    send email.

[email protected]

i like to see it

4. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Fiddleback Forge

5. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I have to get it out of inventory I have in the garage tomorrow .. I’ll send a pic

6. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah... Fiddleback & family use A2 a lot, and they do a good job with it. Fiddleback, Dragonfly Blade Works, Cohutta Cutlery, W A Surls... those will all be outstanding A2 fixed blades. Don't know of a folder in A2.

7. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Fiddleback Forge is convex ground like Bark River.;)
    From their web site > Even with a broader range of knives being made, Fiddleback Forge continues to focus on what matters; making great knives. This is what Andy had to say about our focus:

Handles and grinds are the focus of my knives. I am a tool-maker at heart, and strive to make a real cutting tool that is comfortable to use.

The grind I like to put on knives (I still do all the bevel grinding) is the convex grind. I fell in love with convexed knives from the Himalayan Imports Khukuri. I like the strength of the convex grind on a knife, and I find them the easiest to maintain. This is especially true in the field, certainly sandpaper is easier to carry, and less likely to break than stones.

8. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I think Aaron Gough uses A2 exclusively

9. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Landi used it a little bit and is on the more budget end of knives.

I don't know where else they are stocked, but Mike at Collector Knives has some still. https://www.collectorknives.net/product-category/landi-cutlery/

Battle Horse knives is a similar brand to LT, from the other half that used to be Blind Horse Knives. Both very good knife brands and I hear they're stellar people as well.

I think there is rumor that cold steel will start using some A2 in their knives, like and A2 trailmaster, but I don't think they are released yet.

I actually thought I would come up with more options for you since A2 is a great all-around steel choice. Makes me wonder if the heat treat protocol isn't great for large batches of knives like the big makers do.

Just did a search on BladeHQ using the steel choice filter, and surprised to hear Hogue is also using it. Here's a link to the search, much of it will be LT and BRK.
    https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Fixed-Blade-Knives--179#/filter:blade_material:A2

10. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I do. My Sonoran Camp Knife, A2 @62 RC, full flat ground:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonoran Skinner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tehachapi Saddle Bowie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonoran Hunter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've experimented with A2 in smaller knives and didn't much care for it. However in these larger sized fixed blades it shines.

lex2006, Ajack60, herisson and 2 others like this.
  11. ridnovir

ridnovir

Mar 12, 2012
    Bark River

12. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Yes, but... all convex ground as far as I know. This wouldn't be an issue with a thin blade but BRK doesn't offer much in this department (I know only of one, the Bird&Trout, and it's Elmax).

13. toppygray82

toppygray82

Jan 12, 2014
    thank you so much for the info. highly appreciated

skyhorse likes this.
  14. toppygray82

toppygray82

Jan 12, 2014
    thank you big brother i shall look em up

cbach8tw likes this.
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    TA Davidson sometimes uses A2. He mostly makes his folders in CPM-154.

RL Wright does a lot of knives in A2.
    Bark River still makes many knives in A2.
    KSF's exclusive called the Bobcat is in A2.

16. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I’ve got a few Black Jack knives in A2, don’t know who was making them when I got them. It’s been several years ago

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Bark River has been making the classic Blackjack line for Blackjack.