Why do assisted and regular clips exist?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Blackf77t, May 22, 2020.

1. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Who said anything about knife fighting? The entire name of the game for folding knives is convenience, as there's pretty much always a more specialized tool that would do the job better, so if I'm on a ladder, holding something awkward with my off hand or in a tight space doing some work the last thing I want is to be pawing around in my pocket for my knife.

Lee D and jlauffer like this.
  2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Variety is the spice of life.

As far as pocket clips are concerned, my preference would favor either a well engineered clip or no clip at all. I suspect a lot of pockets have been damaged and many knives lost do to lousy clips. What’s the point of having something clipped on and acting as a pendulum in your pocket and having it become an uncomfortable annoyance? Either take the clip off and drop it in loose or stick it in a belt sheath.

n2s

3. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I prefer controlling the opening of a folder. I don t like assisted openers. I ve deassisted my ZT 0350 and it works fine. I deassisted my BM 581, and it has a slight bit of lock rock.
    I won t buy any more assisted openers. I can open my knives manually as fast as I would ever need to. I don t fidget with my pocket knives.

Blackf77t likes this.
  4. For me, the deep carry vs. regular clip issue is resolved based on expected use and carry location. I’m normally carrying two Max-size iPhones in my right front pocket (my personal phone and my work phone; free legal advice from a corporate lawyer: avoid BYOD for work use if at all possible, anything you do on a work-issued phone is NOT private), which makes carrying a knife in there awkward, given the pocket size on suit pants. So, I frequently carry my knife IWB with the clip behind my belt (used to carry at around 4 o’clock, but it was causing hip problems, so it’s now moved to between 5 and 6). For IWB, a deep carry clip keeps the knife from poking as much, and since quick access isn’t really a priority, it works well for me.

Weekends and WFH carry is in the right-side vertical pocket on my pants/shorts (I currently favor Kuhl cargo pants/shorts). In that spot, deep carry doesn’t have any real advantage other than being slightly less obvious. At that point, I go based on whatever I feel like carrying that day. I am prone to tinkering, so I’ve got a few knives that sport deep carry clips just for the sake of changing something, not because they “need” it.

Blackf77t likes this.
  5. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I prefer deep carry and non assisted but I can use regular carry and assisted. I have my own technique for retrieving my knife from pocket and for flipping it open and closing. I developed my technique over time and now it’s as natural and effortless as rubbing my chin. I don’t have to look or think about it. I also have a technique for my slip joints for open and close and single blade with one hand. But after using a liner lock flipper for a while and switch to a lockback I find myself trying to thumb a liner tab that isn’t there. Lol. And vise verse when switching from lock back to liner lock. Lol.

My preference for non assisted is that I have had some that opened before I was ready and I have no trouble with my non assisted after tuning them to my liking. I don’t get concerned about blade centering as long as it isn’t rubbing and is in good detent to keep it in closed stored position. I think a lot of problems and complaints of liner lock flippers were because they wanted them to be perfectly centered and that’s difficult when a liner detent has spring tension against the blade on one side. I think that could be resolved by placing another spring detent on the opposing side minus the lock tab to have equal tension both sides of the blade. I’d like to design my own knife and try this with a few other mods but I do fine with what’s available.

Blackf77t likes this.
  6. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    And that is?

7. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I don’t grasp the end of the knife but rather I place my thumb in along side of the knife in tip up position, blade opening to the seam, with my index and middle fingers placed at the lower end of the knife outside the pocket somewhat grasping it and I then push rub the knife up with my fingers while guiding it with my thumb. It comes out exactly placed in the ready to open position. I guess a video would help explain it better but I’m very limited in video production. Lol

8. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    They are not knife fighters and they draw their knives by pinching it at the top with their fingers, then they fumble them into their hands. (General broad generalization :D)
    [​IMG]

Lesknife likes this.
  9. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @Lesknife That sounds like what I do too.

Lesknife likes this.
  10. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    If a deep carry clip makes it difficult to retrieve your knife, that means your pants are too tight. :p:D

Blackf77t likes this.
  11. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I hate those skinny jeans.!! For more reasons than having trouble with my knife, carried IWB.

Blackf77t likes this.