Why do we love knife so much? Seriously why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    The knife (and similar cutting tools) predated spoons and forks by millennia.

Aryan29 likes this.
  2. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    It's more fun than collecting coins.

3. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I would not feel comfortable in facing the day without a knife in my pocket. Many times I've been in a gathering were a knife is required and I'm always surprised that so few people have one available.

allenC, KELAMA, jfk1110 and 2 others like this.
  4. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Indeed. Or stamps. And try as I might to collect either, I just can't make it work.

Invariably, I have to pay a parking meter or get a gumball out of the gum machine... there go the coins...

Then eventually I have to mail something like a bill or birthday card or such and, well, there go the stamps...

Knives just seem to hang around the house longer.

Why I love knife so much? Staying power I suppose.

mfunnell, Kizer Cutlery and Aryan29 like this.
  5. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    hunter55 and Aryan29 like this.
  6. Goofcat

Goofcat

Jan 8, 2020
    Cause I need to cut things, and sometimes things need stabbing. I don’t wear a watch or other expensive “man-jewelry”. Also it tends to freak people out when I walk around with my gun collection .

Aryan29 likes this.
  7. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Because I can’t get my hand sharp enough to cut with. Tried using my fingernails but they break and tear to easy. My teeth aren’t long enough and some things taste really bad. Lol

W. Anderson and Aryan29 like this.
  8. Yimes

Yimes Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Because of Blade Forums

9. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Add some duct tape to the mix and you can accomplish damn near anything!

allenC and KELAMA like this.
  10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Juss cuz.

11. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    It sure ain’t for cutting, a cheap razor knife would 99% of mine

12. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    That Bob Loveless quote is the shiznit. Sums it up for me.

13. Kragnut

Kragnut Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2018
    As long as I can remember I've been facinated by metalworking, weapons, tools, machines and engineering. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and it seems like a thousand years ago as that country doesnt exist anymore. We still played cowboys and indians and cops and robbers even in the big city We idolized our WW2 grandparents and uncles and built glow plug powered balsa wood Stukas and P47s. We were taught to fight back if we were bullied in the schoolyard and to bloody our tormentors nose. We were the good guys and the Russians were the bad guys and strength, strength alone could support freedom.

I'm getting off on a rant here but I guess for me its the combination of pleasing lines, sense of tradition and small bit of self reliance that a good blade gives you. I love it when someone says "anybody got a knife"?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  14. Kragnut

Aug 2, 2018
    Multiple post....sorry

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  15. Kragnut

Aug 2, 2018
    Mods....please delete my multiple posts....sorry

16. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    They are useful.
    They can connect us to previous generations, and friends who are no longer with us.
    For example, when I use a stockman or Barlow, I cannot help but think of my (maternal) great grandfather (1892-1974) who carried and used those patterns. When I use a Buck 110 or similar knife, I remember a friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident not a week after High School graduation.
    A Old Hickory "kitchen" knife reminds me of my grand mothers, great grandmothers, and (maternal) great-great grandmother (c.1870-1960) and even grandparents I never met, since they would have had the same knife.
    I'm sure my 5th great grandmothers would have used simple carbon steel knives and cast iron pans, just like I did when I was still cooking for myself.
    Some knives have a certain grace and class.
    Personally, I especially like multi-blade knives because they are more versatile.

17. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    There are numerous things that can spark ones interest in history, or technology, or aesthetic art. How wonderful it is to discover that knives are rich in all three areas. It is a simple tool that has been crucial for our survival since prehistoric times. Yet, despite the simplicity knives remain intensely personal and show no tendency to flow towards a singular optimized solution. If that fails to grab you, there is that simple self-realizing discovery that most of us learn in early childhood, which is that life without a knife is difficult.

n2s

18. Houlahound

Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    I grew up estranged from my ethnic family roots and had no knowledge of their culture yet I carried knives and played knife games including full contact pen knife duels from my earliest memories without anybody influencing me into it.

Then I met with my primitive Sicilian mountain village cultural roots and everything made perfect sense.

19. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    For me it’s just a hobby (like any other- exercising, reading, movies, music...). It suits me indoor and outdoor, That is putting it mildly, keeping it simple.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Jason9477, IEN710 and Lesknife like this.
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Cutting stuff is basic to human existence. Where you take the interest in knives beyond the basic requirements is up to you. I think men tend to be more interested in knives than most women.

allenC, Kizer Cutlery and bigsurbob like this.