Why do we love knife so much? Seriously why?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Because knife. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

allenC, KELAMA, bigsurbob and 2 others like this.
  2. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I believe that the current boom in knife ownership and carry is that in an increasingly electronic age there seems to be a throwback to the need for having and carrying the very basics of the physical and mechanical that a pocket knife represents.

JDRanger, allenC, Trivette100 and 2 others like this.
  3. TheTourist

TheTourist Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2019
    About 1958 I became a Cub Scout. As part of the uniform, I got one of their folders--which I still own. Somewhere in my attic I have their period-piece Scout Book with an entire chapter on their folders.

allenC, KELAMA and Bastler like this.
  4. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    For their utility, for their beauty in design, for their nostalgic feeling, for their sense of history and connection with nature and our ancestors. Because our fathers and mothers taught us and their's before them and we will teach our children.

allenC likes this.
  5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I love knives for their utility, the way they look, and all their little dorky technical details we can obsess about. But mostly useful utility. Let's not forget all the good people who design, make, market, and sell them.

How does that work in the kitchen?

6. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Because, even though you may not need it today, or tomorrow, or even the day after tomorrow, there may come a day when a simple little sharp knife may make a difference of life or death.

My friends all used to make fun of my knife obsession. But when they needed to open a package or cut some piazza that wasn't sliced all the way, it was "hey Carl, lemma see your knife" or "Hey Carl, cut that thing through will ya?"

Minor nuisance.

But in January of 1991, I was taking my daughter to get a car for her to go to school when an accident happened right in front of us. A clueless idiotic driver going way to fast in a curve, hit a patch of ice, spun out and rolled the old Datsun B210 three times and bounced off a guard rail, comping to rest upside down. The battery had jarred loose and shorted out on th greasy old oil smeared engine block and started a fire. Thick black oily smoke like a burning oil rig. Her seat belt was jammed with her obese bulk hanging upside down and even with both thumbs pushing, it was no go. I ended up using the sheep foot blade of my Buck 301 stockman to cut the belt and let her drop on her head.

A few years ago, it was an article about an elderly lady in a Boston shopping mall that stumbled and fell on the elevator. Her scarf got tangled up in the collapsing treads and she was choking. They hit the emergency stop button, but couldn't get her scarf untangled, and nobody had a knife. Even a little SAK classic would have done it. But she strangled to death by the time emergency workers got there. Nobody had a knife and she died there on the elevator steps.

You may not need a knife today. but you may need one sooner or later. And it may be the only thing that will work. Doesn't have to be big, just sharp. A very wise man once told me that.

allenC, KELAMA, jfk1110 and 2 others like this.
  7. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    There are several reasons why people like knives, IMO.

If you carry a pocket knife every day, it can become something of a personal effect rather than simply just a tool. Like a wristwatch or wallet, the quality and style of clothing/footwear you choose*, the kind of vehicle you drive, and certainly jewelry, a pocket knife can be a reflection of its owner's personality and taste; this can and will change over time.

Perhaps not unrelated, but worthy of a separate mention IMO, are those who are simply interested in owning quality well-made tools. For example: a person renting their first apartment might be satisfied buying a $10 kitchen knife block that's 'good enough' to make dinner, whereas a professional Chef or passionate home cook might not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    allenC, Kizer Cutlery and KELAMA like this.
  8. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    When I was a kid I always wanted a pocket knife. My parents never let me have one. Now that I am still a kid in a 36 year old body, I buy all the knives I want.

9. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    Besides the usefulness, for me it's the nostalgia as well as the identity that comes with knife ownership. The kind of knife I carry is part of my personality. I like things that are basic and utilitarian, therefore I carry work knives like a Sodbuster Jr. or a Case Sowbelly in Yellow Delrin. Nothing fancy, although I do have some nice knives that never get carried. But even the nice ones take me back in time. I enjoy looking at my Barlow and my Trapper. There's a beauty in the design of them.

allenC likes this.
  10. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I love knives because they hold down hanks so well. Try taking a photo of your newest custom handkerchief outside; damn thing just blows all over the place. Drop a knife on that bad boy and you got IG gold!

stonproject and bigsurbob like this.
  11. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    What else is basically the same today as it was 100 or even 200 years ago?

I appreciate a good knife and enjoy using one. What else is there to say?

Kizer Cutlery likes this.
  12. Scott Hemleben

Scott Hemleben

Feb 29, 2020
    [YOUR
    I love my knife(s) first because they are so handy for cutting things. Until you have a knife you don't realize how useful they are. Secondly, because they are a means of defense. Not nearly as good as a firearm, but if it's all you've got, it's much better than your fists. Thirdly, a knife is a work of art. It's pretty to look at. I like looking at my knives :)

allenC and KELAMA like this.
  13. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    It may prompt the throwback but it also helps to share it. It helps people to be better at it too, via social media and especially Blade Forums. ;)

I'm happy to benefit from this and related trends. I'm far less likely to be the odd guy out for having a pocket knife, a multi-tool, or a beard.

Pomsbz likes this.
  14. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    haha, come and check Kizer knives, not expensive but high quality.

15. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    WOW, a love pasted from generation!!! Lets past it to our child and the child of them until the end of the world!!! Kizer will be honored to witness and take part in this!!!

16. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    Have you tried one of our knives? Kizer make quality knives come and try one. XD

17. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    WOW, thank you Robert for sharing your story of knives and life. It is so great to know a knives man and may improve our knives for actual using!!! When you need a new knife please check out Kizer Cutlery and see do we have what you need. Kizer may haven't grow up with you but we wanna accompany with you for the rest of the days.

18. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you for loving our Tangram but unfortunately we dont have new Tangrams by now. However, we have Vanguard and Kizer series which made of better steel. You are welcome to check that out~

19. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    haha, so as we!

Sleepereaper likes this.
  20. Kizer Cutlery

Jun 24, 2013
    Nice Pinyin!!! Yeah we love the sharp things as well, so we are working hard on making our knives more and more sharp!!!