Why is everyone cutting so much cardboard?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MBG, May 22, 2020.

Why do you cut cardboard?

1. It's fun

28 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. I enjoy sharpening my knives

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. To justify buying a super steel

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Some box designs are difficult to break down

27 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. I rarely cut cardboard

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. MBG

MBG

May 21, 2020
    One thing that I see coming up over and over in knife forums is cardboard cutting. I really don't understand why people talk about it as a significant EDC task. I once had a job where I would break down 50-100 boxes every day. I don't work with cardboard much these days but we get a couple of packages every day. It is almost always easier to cut the tape and fold the box instead of cutting them up. So every time I see a discussion about blade steel and someone starts talking about how much cardboard they cut every day, I just have to wonder why they are making extra work for themselves (cutting and sharpening).

It doesn't bother me if people do it for fun. It's just that some people act like cutting is the most efficient way to deal with cardboard and that hasn't been my experience. Also, I know that many people use cardboard as a medium for edge retention tests, but that isn't EDC use.

7east, Lesknife, MtnHawk1 and 6 others like this.
  2. carrot

carrot

Jan 9, 2006
    What else am I gonna cut with my knife? Steak? On a ceramic plate? No thanks.

3. josiahg52

josiahg52 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Because the boxes won't fit in the incinerator otherwise. I find a nice CPM D2 fixed blade makes quick work of them on those days.

Chronovore and kueller351 like this.
  4. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Cardboard is free & years ago it & 1” Sisal rope became standards for edge retention . I was able to make 500 cuts with My “Loveless Hunter” Before Blah Blah...

5. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I hardly ever cut cardboard, but I do cut the tape preventing me from breaking it down...

6. jeepseahawk

jeepseahawk Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Same as above, cut the tape and fold it to fit in trash can. Once in a while, may need to cut a big box smaller to fit receptacle. If I really need to tackle some cardboard, box cutter is approved tool with multiple replaceable blades. I went to town on my new lawn mower box, enjoyed using my knife.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    onekerf and jackknife like this.
  7. Feca10ne

Feca10ne Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2020
    ..because wild boars are expensive!
    [​IMG]

8. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    I voted for "it's fun". There should have been another choice;
    -There's nothing better to do under Covid19 lockup and since I don't go out the mail order boxes keep piling up.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    MayHemAndHaw and jfk1110 like this.
  9. old Lefty

old Lefty Basic Member Basic Member

May 15, 2020
    Voted 'rarely...'. However, I must admit that there is some fun to be had cutting cardboard

10. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I cut boxes quite much in my work but I’ve sorta moved to box cutters if I need to cut them. Most of the time however I toss them on the floor and kick the corners so they break down. Much more time efficient.

Lateck likes this.
  11. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Yea! Where are the poly wrap and zip tie edge retention videos?! I cut more of that than anything else, lol.

12. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I voted rarely but like Rhino said, cardboard is free, is universal, and it was/is a popular test for edge retention.

13. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I only ever cut cardboard if there’s a package that needs to be opened. It’s a beater knife job for me.

7east likes this.
  14. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Amazon

15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Every once in a while a box is large enough to need cutting, and cereal style boxes are often easier to just cut open.
    That's it though, usually I'm just cutting the tape and folding them up.

I do not understand testing a knife on a bunch of cardboard either.
    #1 you can see if a knife has a good slicing geometry.
    #2 just carry the damn thing and keep it touched up as necessary.

Prester John likes this.
  16. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Cardboard is an easy “reference” material for benchmarking the edge retention of different steels

for sure it is a trend.
    Some ears ago it was all about stain resistance.
    At some point it has been sharpen ability
    it has been a big issue with HRC also.
    Nowadays it is about edge retention
    One can guess that at some point it will be about toughness ;)

But if you are not interested in some steels performance (in this case, edge retention), then all this cardboard violence () looks pointless

DangerZone98 and Urban Abo like this.
  17. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Me and my Sharpmaker don't get along.

[​IMG]

rover, Tigerfan, ranger1202 and 3 others like this.
  18. rackness

rackness Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2004
    The new edge retention test should be number of clothing strings/loose threads cut before it can no longer cut warm butter.

NapalmCheese, colin.p and jackknife like this.
  19. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    If I didn't cut cardboard I could probably go 2 years without sharpening my knife

A.L. and sharp_edge like this.
  20. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Our trash pickup won't accept boxes just thrown in the dumpster. Don't ask me why, but one time they took the bags and left the cardboard, so I called them and that's what they said. Stupid rule, but whatever. So now I cut up the boxes and put it in bags. I mean, cardboard will break down, plastic not so much. So it's really a waste, but I live in Mississippi so what do you expect.

However I did find out my 14c28n Bareknuckle will go through a 50" TV box, and a couple mushroom chair boxes and still cut just fine. Impressive considering it is a "budget" steel!