Why is everyone cutting so much cardboard?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MBG, May 22, 2020.

Why do you cut cardboard?

1. It's fun

28 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. I enjoy sharpening my knives

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. To justify buying a super steel

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Some box designs are difficult to break down

27 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. I rarely cut cardboard

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    This.

I will just cut the tape if I can, but some boxes are just too big to start with to ft in the recycle container, and a little breaking down is needed. For that I usually have an old Stanley 99 on a shelf in the garage by the recycle bin.

Rupestris likes this.
  2. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Don't forget the plastic blister packages. A new stadard is needed. How many blister packages can be opened before needing to be sharpened?

3. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    During the stay at home event, boxes easily doubled, and I had to cut them at the creases into small pieces otherwise they wouldn’t all fit in the bin. But it is also fun... and I’ll say the easiest way to tell the difference between budget steel and super steel is cutting corrugated boxes.
    Try breaking down a few boxes with an alphabet steel... then break some down with something like a Spyderco Manix in s110v, or a Benchmade freek in M4.
    Night and day difference... and an easy test to show where your money goes on premium steel.

Zerobladeplay, Lee D and marrenmiller like this.
  4. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Among other things. I install cabinetry that arrives in 48' trucks. By the time I've unpacked a kitchen full of cabinetry I have 2 or 3 pick up truck loads of cardboard to take to recycle.
    I CUT CARDBOARD! - No options in the poll for "out of necessity".

5. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    How else are you going to free your new knives?

n2s

6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    It was there and I wanted to use a knife. Sort of like the mountain and climbing thing. Much more efficient to cut the tape and collapse them. I will cut them when they have to fit the trash can. Plus I actually cut a small piece to strop the edge of my knife when I get bored. It works a little.

onekerf likes this.
  7. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I cut the packing tape, then tear and/or fold cardboard. Cut cardboard with a knife very infrequently. Must admit, for some of the folders that I have, and have had, the only cutting the blades did was the air that the blades passed through as they arced from their fully open to closed positions..

8. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    My opinel stainless and carbon blades cut boxes without problems,even when dull,2,3 swipes on sharpmaker get them to razor sharp again.

9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    If I had to cut cardboard often, I'd just use a boxcutter with disposable blades.

10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Typically, I’ll use a box cutter to unbox fixtures/appliances for installation. Sometimes it’s easier to use my knife and not have to walk back to the truck and get the box cutter. I try not to make it a habit. The binders that are put in that grade of cardboard kills a good freshly sharpened blade regardless of the steel.

Prester John and powernoodle like this.
  11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I cut cardboard all the time at work. Usually my Opinel no6 - the thin blade glides through cardboard and the convex grind and ultra-thin edge makes it "sharp" even when it's dull. I should get a new Gerber EAB or something like it though (I can't find the one I have).

Pomsbz likes this.
  12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I prefer to cut the cardboard on parcels rather than the tape which leaves the blade all gooey. Then breaking down the boxes to neatly stack up next to the garbage in the apartment until the next time it's taken out and in any case it needs to fit into the recycle bin at the end of the street which only has a relatively thin slit opening.

13. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    I moved into a new house 2 weeks, and we're still unpacking stuff. Not mention boxes for the new closet doors, tv, light fixtures, etc. Just spent an hour and change filling up my recycling bin. I don't want to take a break to sharpen my knife. So, utility knife it is. When things are back to normal, I'll go back to using whatever is in my pocket for the day.

14. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I recycle my cardboard and depending on how well it folds up and breaks down I might need to cut it up in ways to fit it into my trunk and still fit my other recyclables. I also cut it up for a 10yr old to make armor, shield, helmet, etc from it.

15. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Just because of this thread, I cut up a bunch of cardboard last night with one of my GEC slipjoints while watching Rango.

It was fun and I was reintroduced to how important water is.

But yeah, normally I don’t cut much. Mostly the tape.

Rhinoknives1 and Quiet like this.
  16. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I've always found it to be a little strange to be terribly concerned about what other people are cutting. Some boxes I cut up to make them fit conveniently in the recycling. Others I simply cut the tape and break down. Depends on how many boxes and how full the recycling is.

GB940Rookie and PirateSeulb like this.
  17. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Where is the option for "my wife buys a lot of crap from Amazon"

18. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I’ve asked this exact question many times. Cardboard cutting seems to be the job the current crop of knife cognoscenti want their blades designed to perform, but I don’t know why. As a retired soldier who had all his earthly possessions boxed and unboxed over a dozen times I’ve had to break down thousands of boxes, but I doubt I’ve cut through 20 feet of cardboard in my entire life.

I understand *some* folks do indeed live or work in places where they have to routinely slice up cardboard to fit in a small container, but I think if I was in such a situation I’d probably buy a nice box cutter.

To each his own.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    colin.p and Pàdruig like this.