1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Why not peanut butter ?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Robbie Roberson, May 28, 2006.

1. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    GAG...

Peanut butter and Steen's 100% Cane Syrup... NOTHING better...
    Mrs. Butterworth's a second choice...
    Do not completely mix... Leave swirls... Tastes better on the tongue that way...

2. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    And I thought I was the only person that liked it on waffles and pancakes!!!

If you can find crumpets in your stores, pop a couple in the toaster and spread the bumpy side with peanut butter... If you try it on the smooth side, it forms a melted peanut butter frictionless layer and you have HOT peanut butter all over your hands... Trust me on this, it comes from PAINFULL experience!!!

3. 2dogs

2dogs

Apr 20, 2003
    What the heck is a crumpet? I've heard of them all my life but I don't think I've seen one.

4. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    A diminutive Crump?

5. coote

coote

Apr 3, 2006
    There are two (or more) definitions of crumpet.

1. A light soft yeast cake full of small holes on one side, often eaten toasted and buttered

2. Slang for a sexually desirable woman.

I guess peanut butter could be applied to either before enjoying.

6. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    And both can sometimes be found at your local supermarket... :D

7. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    Think of a 4 inch round pancake that is three times a thick and cooked on only one side...
    You know how a pancake looks when you cook it, before you turn it over? Well, that is what one looks like...

Look around the English-muffin section... Unless you know what you are looking for, they are very easy to get them mixed up, because they often come in the same packaging...

Asking, MAY help, but most of the employees will not know what you are talking about...

There are some pictures HERE.

8. GibsonFan

GibsonFan

Jul 7, 2006
    The biggest, strongest guys I ever met ate all the peanut butter and light canned tuna they could get thier hands on, preferably on wheat bread. They also lifted a lot of weights and slept 10 hours a day but that's not the point.

A squeeze tube of PB and a small tin of tuna might be a real good morale booster to have in your BoB, and have lots of good calories.

9. SkunkWerX

SkunkWerX

Jul 27, 2006
    With all the talk of vitamins and lack-of...

I try to keep some multi-vitamins in my pack. Not even a whole bottle, maybe 10 or so. One-a-day or any of those daily kind work fine. If you had some PeanutButter and took a multi-vitamin once per day, you would be in better shape while accounting for vitamin needs.
    (As long as you didn't over indulge in bear , which could dehydrate you and counteract the effect of the vitamins).

When having bear (or moose) , normally drink a beer or two, so you don't get dehydrated. :D

On a serious note, if you did have access to a beer, in a survival situation, go for it!! It has nutrients, tastes good, and would be a huge morale booster! I'd wager that a Coke or Pepsi would lend itself as much to dehydration as a single beer. Plus, if you are truly thirsty, you WILL drink the beer, for sure. it's the alchohol that leads to dehydration, and a single beer isn't going to saturate your blood with alchohol.

back to vitamins:
    You can't survive on the Vitamins alone, as they carry no calories. You can't survive on only the calories of a single food source, because they lack certain vitimins, so, try both for a balance.

Be certain to rotate vitamin stock, as they can go bad over a long period of time.

10. rhino

rhino

Dec 30, 2000
    Peanut Butter is the all-time greatest staple food! It's good for you (far more so than most will admit), helps stabilize blood sugar (good for type 2 diabetics in moderation), is incredibly versatile, and of course ... DELICIOUS!

During my early years, peanut butter was my primary source of nutrition until I was well into my 30s, and now it's still a regular treat for me.

Sam's Club and other bulk discount stores have the two-packs of the giant jars of JIF. You can't beat that with a stick.

Someone mentioned the c-ration peanut butter in the cans ... I used to love that stuff too. I don't know why (maybe they added a lot of extra sugar), but it had a really gritty (and sweet) consistency compared to commercial peanut butter. It was closest thing I ever found to the stuff inside of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. One time some cousins of mine were on gov't assistance (back in the 1970s) and they used to get the big #10 can of that same GI peanut butter. I don't think they liked it much, or maybe they just knew how much I loved peanute butter, because one time my father brought one home from visiting them as gift from them to me. I was in heaven ... until it was all gone!

For those who like nut-based spreads AND chocolate ... there is only one step "up" from peanut butter: NUTELLA!

11. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Rhino - I'll second that Nutella! I ate a lot of it (and similar products from other makers) when I was in Germany. Great stuff! I really like the combination of hazelnut and chocolate (can you say Ferrer Roche candy?). Most Americans don't eat a lot of hazelnuts, they are very popular in chocolates in Europe.

12. darkestthicket

darkestthicket

Nov 30, 2002
    i dont know about a survival situation but i lived through 4 years of higschool wrestling season on peanut butter, tuna and chicken breasts. It has protein and definetly gave you the much needed energy you would need in a survival situation so i would say its viable :) its in my pack anyway. lol.

13. rhino

rhino

Dec 30, 2000
    And for those poor wretches who don't like it or won't eat it for other reasons ... that's more for the rest of us! :D

14. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Very fun thread ! Since this was started, I have ate 3 or so big plastic jars of PB.

There is one problem however, I can't eat them late in the evening anymore because apparently the PB or sugars or both keeps me awake all night.

I often feel nervous and jittery after I eat PB late at night and then go to bed.

This is sad news to me because I love this stuff so much but I've had to stop my midnight PB sandwich and a cold glass of milk.......MMMMMMMmmmmmm soooo good ! :eek:

Robbie Roberson ;)