1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Wilson W.U.R.Knife Hollow Handle Survival Knife

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Sam Wilson, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2012
    A prototype I recently completed. Pics are cell phone, so not the greatest quality. It was a prototype to test a design concept as a working knife and not a showpiece, so that was the primary goal. Very pleased with how it came out.

[​IMG]
    Specs:
    CPM-154 SS blade @59
    4.25" blade
    SS guard
    Aluminum handle and buttcap

The W.U.R.Knife (Wilson Utility and Recreation Knife) was designed as my idea of a good work and trail knife, albeit with a hollow handle (my favorite). The blade is flat ground and has thin geometry all the way up except for the last inch or so of the primary grind, where it is a little thicker for durability. Still sharp, just not as razor sharp as the rest of the blade. The idea being durability for digging/poking/light prying and toughness for tip penetration. The clip grind is sharpened to a more obtuse angle for durability when you want to cut something a little rougher but don't want to sacrifice your primary edge.

[​IMG]

Guard is stainless and fully radiused for comfort, and is just wide enough to give your thumb and index finger secure purchase for control when using the knife. It is silver soldered in place.

[​IMG]

The buttcap is tapped on the inside for my threaded ferro rod system, and it also accepts any of the other tools I have designed for this system (sharpening rod, sail needle, etc.).

The leather sheath is formed to the knife, and the keeper strap is on shock cord, so when you open it the strap flies out of the way and greatly reduces the chances of cutting the strap when drawing the knife. The same system is implemented on most of my other HH knives. It features the "weathered brown" finish on this particular one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Sam

Hengelo_77, ToddE, fishiker and 2 others like this.
  2. mitch13

mitch13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Looks good & functional.
    I like the fact you've put a lot of thought into the little details, such as the tip & the retaining strap on sheath.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mitch

Dawkind and Sam Wilson like this.
  3. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very nice looking design and work !!

Dawkind and Sam Wilson like this.
  4. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you!

Dawkind likes this.
  5. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Very nice...I’ve always enjoyed a finely made hollow-handled knife. :cool:

Sam Wilson likes this.
  6. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I like it, reminds me of your PAC Knife which I keep telling myself I don't really need.

Sam Wilson likes this.
  7. Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you, I have something of a fondness for them myself! :thumbsup:

8. Sam Wilson

Sep 3, 2012
    Much appreciated. There is definitely some overlap on the two designs. I am working on a third smaller size HH knife called the U.S.T. (Utility Survival Tactical) which will essentially be a somewhat "tactical" (marketing word, I know) blend of the WURKnife and PACKnife. Should be a lot of fun. I will post a thread about it upon completion. I just profiled the blades, so we're off and running. Thank you for the feedback!

Sam

fishiker likes this.