Winkler sculpted handles

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by kaosu04, Sep 21, 2020.

1. kaosu04

kaosu04

Apr 26, 2005
    I have my first Winkler knife on the way this week. I opted for a belt knife with sculpted micarta wasp handles. I can’t find any reviews or opinions on sculpted vs non sculpted handles. What is the general consensus? Do they increase grip? Do they create hot spots on the hands during heavy usage? Would these possibly have lower resale value simply due to having a less clean look compared to a smooth handle model? I think it’s obvious that Winkler isn’t a gimmicky kind of guy, but it seems these sculpted models are simply much less popular.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. racegunner

racegunner

Aug 28, 2000
    I sold a Belt Knife with regular handles and bought one with black sculpted. I really like it. It's not a knife I intend for heavy repeated tasks or anything that will generate a hotspot. But that's what gloves are for. Sculpted handles fit the purpose of the belt knife. They provide great grip. I want to get a field knife and planned to get regular wood handle, but I saw the sculpted maple handle and was thinking it looks really great with those and I really like the handle on my belt knife. I'm still undecided which I want for the field knife since it would actually be used as a "field knife." I really can't think of a situation I would need less grip.

3. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I got the smooth wood handles on mine just because of how right it looked. And it required a lot of mental gymnastics to not get the other versions.

Due to the excellent shape of the handle I've never felt compromised but I would expect the other types to be much more practical.

4. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    I have two Belt Knives with sculpted handles... Micarta and Maple, no hot spots with either and a very secure grip.

I also have a Belt Knife with non-sculpted Rubber, again a very secure grip but with a different "feel" to the knife.

mendezj likes this.
  5. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Boru, do you notice if the rubber handles make for a lighter knife?

6. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    Actually seems to make for a heavier knife... the sculpted Maple feels the lightest of the three.

I haven't weighed them on a scale, I just know how they feel in my hand.

rpn likes this.
  7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I like the sculpted handles personally. No hot spots at all. They may have a bit more grip because they are the sculpted micarta over the smooth maple handled Winklers I have but not a big increase in grip from the sculpting. I think Boru is right though the rubber is a bit heavier ... the maple handles are very lightweight even noticeable from the micarta but it's not a difference that affects anything IMO.