Winter Camping With My Wife, Busse, and Gransfors

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by UNRL Ghandi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    Glad to see that BWM is getting some use! If it were in my hands still, it would be bored stupid!

Great write up, and advise! Saw, test, 4g! Got it!

2. UNRL Ghandi

UNRL Ghandi Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Haha, I told her she would hate it while we were out and then look back and love that she did it. And I tell you what, doing something like this makes you realize how much creature comforts we take for granted. That MRE pack of peanut butter I ate was gormet food out there. Tasted better than filet mignon wrapped in bacon. Well, almost... :)

Also, the pack weight was distributed fairly evenly. The odd items were the sleeping bags. I wanted to go without them, but realized that might be too hard, so they just got added on. I tried to strap her bag to the bottom of her pack, but it hung too low and was hitting the back of her legs. So I strapped it to the center of her pack as best I could. It's a Tactical Tailor Extended Operator pack and I think it's a little too big for her (and me) since we're shorter folks. The waist belt rides too low on the hips and pushes down. I spent a good while after the trip trying to modify the packs for weight and balance. I think we'll be ready next time.

3. UNRL Ghandi

Oct 24, 2013
    BWM worked perfectly for my wife. Good weight and size. Thanks again for the sale. :)

4. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Gold Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Fantastic story and pics, thank you very much for sharing it with us! There is some really great advice in there too. We appear to think similarly, have similar sounding wives, and have similar mountain property (mine is only 140 miles away though :p).

5. Tac338

Tac338

Dec 4, 2015
    Great story and photos as well! This is something that I would like to do with my wife. Like others have said thanks for sharing.

6. kjd2121

kjd2121

Jun 17, 2008
    Excellent story thanks. I know what you mean about office work. Just today I went back to the gym after two whole years doing nothing. Man I am beat and will most likely be sore for days :).

7. HDBeav

HDBeav Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Righteous trip man ! Good fun and good memories for both of you. Thanks sharing the journey !

8. UNRL Ghandi

Oct 24, 2013
    Nice! I feel like our way of thinking puts us in the minority down in our area of the state. I just finished up plans for a cabin that I'm hoping to have built up there by the end of the year. My wife and I are both fortunate enough to work from home now that we could move up there full time. Fingers crossed that works out. Then I won't have to worry about the 150 mile hike. :)

9. boring

boring Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2005
    you sir, are a fortunate man. nice gear/marriage test. thanks for sharing the adventure.

10. mrgreen

mrgreen

Dec 26, 2009
    Awesome! Great write up, pics, and wife! I camped (hot tent) with my son the past weekend, very cold but no snow. I love camping in cold weather because you can bring real food, like steak without a cooler.

One suggestion, try some kind of sled when hiking in snow. You don't need to put it all on your back.

11. UNRL Ghandi

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm looking into the hot tent concept. Saw a nice tipi and titanium wood stove that looked legit that I'd love to try.

12. donscpoo

donscpoo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Great story. Thanks for sharing

13. Pokey1

Pokey1

Feb 6, 2011
    It looks like you had a great time, even with the overly chilly conditions. Thanks for sharing!

14. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Great trip. Awesome wife. Lucky guy.

15. Rasco

Rasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I love posts like this. I could spend all day checkout out other people's adventures
    Thanks for sharing Ghandi