1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

WIP: My Second knife

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by mccandmatt, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mccandmatt

mccandmatt

Oct 29, 2013
    Not sure what to classify this knife as but here is the roughed out version, using 1084 cold rolled. Plan to use black kirinite and brick red liner
    [​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

2. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Already this has some interesting lines. How does it feel in the hand? The underside of the handle doesn't look too comfortable. I might tweak that area to be a bit more organic and hand friendly. The top of the blade and handle is a bit straight through that transition area. I know it is rough cut at this point. When you clean up the profile try to aim for a smooth flowing line from the blade to the handle. The drawing is a bit better in that regard. Looks good. Keep us posted with your progress.

3. mccandmatt

mccandmatt

Oct 29, 2013
    For me it is actually comfortable to grip.

Yeah the transition from handle to blade was rounded out more, plus I added a dip for the thumb right where my thumb sits, and will add some file work to the thumb grip. Once the sanding is all done I plan to acid etch the blade part for fun.

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The blade is Wharncliff style. The handle is not hand friendly....and the spike at the end of the edge has got to go.

5. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like the organic looks

6. mccandmatt

mccandmatt

Oct 29, 2013
    I agree the handle is not hand friendly, but when I was making this I make it for me and it feels good, plus I just wanted to try out some curves and a straight edge. With my lack of equipment (cheap sander, and files) getting the edge straight was trickier than I thought it would.

I got rid of the spike, it looked funny and served no purpose. I'll post pics once it is back from the sharpeners. I know I should sharpen it myself but for $6 it's sharpened by the Twin Cities best, and I feel better helping a small business out.

Thanks for the advice

7. mccandmatt

mccandmatt

Oct 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

My first attempt at file work on the handle, they are not lined up, ticked me off

[​IMG]

8. mccandmatt

mccandmatt

Oct 29, 2013
    Removed the little spike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Nice work, now make more :D

10. FullyTorque

FullyTorque

Jun 3, 2013
    Nice! Taking off that spike did wonders for the looks of it and I bet makes it easier to use.
    The handle shape is different, but not radical, it kinda reminds me of a SwampRat Rodent 7.
    Keep making more, each new knife will allow you to fix the mistakes of the last... and see a whole new batch of mistakes to fix on the next.